US politics and election

The Constitutionalist Party is the fringe of the GOP.

The Libertarians are something different entirely.

The Constitutionalist Party is the fringe of the GOP.

The Libertarians are something different entirely.

you have your opinion and I have mine, but judging from some other posts on this thread others come closer to agreeing with me than you.

Which major party the libertarians most resemble highly depends on the issues being discussed. On most social issues, the libertarian party's beliefs are very close to the platform of the democratic party. But when it comes to fiscal issues, lbertarians more closely resemble the republican party's platform.

The thing is, both the democratic party and republican party have their authoritarian, government-must intervene issues. With democrats most of those issues revolve around economic issues, such as regulating oil profits, and take a hands off approach to social issues and individual rights (with a few notable exceptions such as right to bear firearms.)

OTOH, republicans are more prone to look at social contract issues, such as definition of marriage, as areas the government needs to be involved, (but are notably in agreement with democrats on most issues of individual rights) while taking a hands-off approach to economic issues.

But the libertarians are the only party that is consistent across the board with their attitude of minimal government. The only reason some could view libertarians as more republican-like than democratic-like is economic issues are about 5 times as likely to be the topic of discussion.

How do libertarains resemble democrats on social issues if they take a hands off approach on social issues ?
Democrats take a very hands on approach to social issues.

Ie welfare, medicare, medicaid, SSI, etc.

How do libertarains resemble democrats on social issues if they take a hands off approach on social issues ?
Democrats take a very hands on approach to social issues.

Ie welfare, medicare, medicaid, SSI, etc.

Those are not social issues. Social issues involve tolerance and individual freedom. Abortion is a social issue. Privacy is a social issue. Gun control is a social issue. Prayer in schools is a social issue. So forth and so on.

But feeding the poor and caring for the elderly is not a social issue ?

I think of your "social issues" as more personal freedom issues.

Duhhh they are social programs with a fiscal component. Ie not one of the cost free social issues.

Many of the social issues you speak of have hidden costs.
Abortion can be considered in part a fiscal issue, abort em or have to pay to raise em. Ie welfare, medicaid, education costs, etc.
Alcohol has massive hidden costs.

Like I said, consider it whatever you want but don't play dumb when you hear it used correctly.

A better way to put it is that social issues usually involve policy (Gay Rights, Civil Rights, Abortion, Gun Control) while fiscal issues involve budgetary concerns (deficit, universal healthcare, Social Security, Medicaid, Medicare).

Republicans take a hands on approach on social issues (opposing abortion, opposing gay rights) while Democrats take a hands off "live-and-let-live" position. There are exceptions even to this rule though, since Democrats oppose the right to bear arms and both parties support the Drug War.

In general though, Democrats support personal freedom on social issues and oppose it on economic issues.

You're making even less sense than usual tonight.

Medicaid, Medicare, Social Security etc are budgetary concerns, ie. fiscal issues.

as I said alcohol has hidden costs, ie making one show their ass.

Check out the link I posted dude.

Like I said, consider it whatever you want but don't play dumb when you hear it used correctly.

A better way to put it is that social issues usually involve policy (Gay Rights, Civil Rights, Abortion, Gun Control) while fiscal issues involve budgetary concerns (deficit, universal healthcare, Social Security, Medicaid, Medicare).

Republicans take a hands on approach on social issues (opposing abortion, opposing gay rights) while Democrats take a hands off "live-and-let-live" position. There are exceptions even to this rule though, since Democrats oppose the right to bear arms and both parties support the Drug War.

In general though, Democrats support personal freedom on social issues and oppose it on economic issues.

Budgetary and social are not mutually exclusive.

These programs are social engineering. Lip service all you want, but they are not strictly "fiscal" issues anymore than taxing smoking is a "fiscal" issue.

Back