USC and UCLA to Big Ten

College sports are a true microcosm of modern America--a big dumpster fire.

And pro sports are no better. Baseball plays a 162-game season, as of this year, just to seed a twelve-team post season tournament.
If that makes sense to you, you given in to the commercial tackiness.

I dont follow sports at all anymore, and I was never a big fan of college football, but I was reading that this is all about the money. It reminds me of pro sports which are also all about the money, to the extent that the stewards of the games dont seem to give a fuck about the games, or the fans....which has everything to do with why I have completely abandoned sports and hope for bankruptcies all around.

Just so you will know- Nobody here gives a flying fuck whether you like sports or football or not Mr. Self Important miserable guy!

I was wrong, it happened, I didn’t see the news

Raising a multiple of questions: What happens to the ACC, PAC 12, and the other existing conferences? Norte Dame.? College basketball? Who oversees college football?

Not to mention academics, now that college football is becoming professional, offering big contracts for players, will the school itself have any say over a player’s academics, will the players even be students or required to attend class? Will college become institutions with a professional football team just using their name to raise money?

Would have thought I’d be seeing some commentary on that. Maybe I’m the only sports fan left in America. :dunno: ;)

I’m all for anything that accelerates the demise of the NCAA and I think these conference realignments that are going on are the perfect way to bring that about.

It’ll be interesting to see how Oregon and Washington respond since they’re currently #1 and 2 in the Pac12 from a revenue standpoint. A jump to the Big 12 or ACC would be wild and the Big 12 could definitely use the boost.

College sports are a true microcosm of modern America--a big dumpster fire.

And pro sports are no better. Baseball plays a 162-game season, as of this year, just to seed a twelve-team post season tournament.
If that makes sense to you, you given in to the commercial tackiness.

Agreed.

My guess: It is gonna happen. The Big Ten decided to get the East Coast involved...with Rutgers and Maryland. Now they are going for the West Coast with USC and UCLA. Big money involved on the coasts...and it costs the Big 10 nothing for 10 years. Then the sharing in revenues kicks in.

It costs them a lot. NIL.

You just disagreeing with me to disagree...or do you have something to say, Guillle?

If the latter...why not just say it!

No. If this move happens, and it looks like it will as of yesterday, the NCAA can no longer claim they aren't slavemasters. The players are going to get paid, big time. Amateur collegiate athletics is done.

No. If this move happens, and it looks like it will as of yesterday, the NCAA can no longer claim they aren't slavemasters. The players are going to get paid, big time. Amateur collegiate athletics is done.

Okay, now I understand.

Seems to me that "amateur" college athletics in football and basketball have been gone for a long time. Only those universities willing to play strictly by the rules get screwed by following those rules. The SEC particularly has been an offender in many ways. A large number of their athletes are not truly student athletes.

Anyway, opening it all up to every university might be an interesting thing to see. The pretense that college athletics is actually just a part of a true education is a laugh.

If this happens, the NFL may be the loser.

Okay, now I understand.

Seems to me that "amateur" college athletics in football and basketball have been gone for a long time. Only those universities willing to play strictly by the rules get screwed by following those rules. The SEC particularly has been an offender in many ways. A large number of their athletes are not truly student athletes.

Anyway, opening it all up to every university might be an interesting thing to see. The pretense that college athletics is actually just a part of a true education is a laugh.

If this happens, the NFL may be the loser.

All the pretending is a Huge Motherfucking Problem.

Would have thought I’d be seeing some commentary on that. Maybe I’m the only sports fan left in America. :dunno: ;)

Looks like we’re headed to having two super conferences. Personally I don’t want to see ND join the Big 10.

They just wouldn’t be a good fit. Economically for sure but they just don’t fit culturally. ND had their chance with the Big 10. I think if they were forced to join a conference they would be better off in a parochial school conference.

The thing I’m wondering is will this alignment mean the end of the Bowl era to create an alignment for a true national championship post season.

Now that so many are waking up to how profoundly the universities have failed and betrayed us is college football still going to be a thing? I see a lot of "Please do not give anymore money to universities, they are Evil now (paraphrase)" so I wonder.

How does one now go to a major university football game and feel good about what they are participating in?

Back