Veto Threat Looms Over Oil Taxes Bill

Short-sighted freaks.

Well, all they really have to do when the push for alt's get strong is drop the price of oil and it goes away. They can do this for a few more decades before oil starts to become so scarce that they can't even justify a drop in price. They control the market right now, and I think we do need someone else to look into alternative fuels to make sure we stay on track.

A tax break means that you are escaping paying a tax that others would pay.
Correct. And the President should indeed veto the removal of tax breaks.

The proper solution to this "problem", is not to take the tax break away from the companies that get it.
The proper solution, is to extend the tax break to all other companies too.

There's more than one way to achieve "equality", you know. And some ways are much better for the country than others. They may not be better for government, is all. But government is a relatively small and unimportant part of most activities in the United States. Or should be. What's good for government, is far less important than what's good for the country.

I think it is funny that many think that doing away with a tax break is a new tax.
Of course it is. I have to pay a tax this year, that I didn't have to pay last year, although my financial and corporate situation hasn't changed... that's a new tax. The way others got taxed, doesn't change my situation.

Glad you think it's "not a new tax", though. Does that mean that, when my proposed proper solution is put in place (extending the tax break to all other companies), you will also think it's "not a new tax cut", but simply a change in an existing tax? :pke:

Last edited:
It should be a venture that is tackled from multiple angles. Government ain't perfect in any way, but it may need to test out some breakthroughs in the military or public transportation vehicles before individuals go for it. The government can help with public trust of a technology.

Public trust of a technology gaurantees that it will remain in the hands of politicians. If you want new technology get government off of our backs. Hundreds of mechanics have come up with good ideas since the seventies. I can produce motor fuel for my car cheaper than I can buy gasoline. I can't afford the $10,000 permit nor the cost of regulation. I'm not a genius. Any shade tree mechanic worth his salt can do the same.

I define alt energy as non-fossil fuel... as do most people. As for links, below is one for Shell that discusses where they are investing. You can pretty much go onto any of their sites and see not only descriptions of the projects they are working on, but also look at their financials to see their investment into alt energy.

http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?siteId=rw-br

Well, there's alt energy, which can include synthetic fuels, and there's renewable energy. I was just making sure were talking about the same thing.

Anyway, from what I've read Shell pumped $1 billion in renewables over five years, well less than the tens of billions of dollars it is spending on Canadian oil sands exploration and mining.

It's great that they are investing in renewables at all but the idea that this $18 billion is better in the hands of oil companies for developing renewable energy isn't really supported by the facts.

Back