We woke to the smell of fire!

Jarod

Contributor
My wife woke me up Saturday night/Sunday Morning 2:30 A.M. to the stench of FIRE. We got up and searched the house.... No fire. We went into the garage... It was much worse.

Finally I went outside... Ugh.. it was terrable. I turned on the television and they were discussing it, a Huge fire on lake Okeechobee, about 75 Miles away was smouldering and the wind was blowing it right over our house.

I was releaved. But whats up with all the fires, we never used to have fires like this!

Yup, thats what they said, the dried lake bead is burning and will continue to do so until it rains, which could be weeks. My lawn is crisp.

I am glad everything is okay. Make sure your detectors are up to date on batteries and working, the likelihood of waking up to smell smoke is small if the fire was in your house.

I am glad everything is okay. Make sure your detectors are up to date on batteries and working, the likelihood of waking up to smell smoke is small if the fire was in your house.

Precisely true. Change the batteries in your smoke alarms twice a year to insure that they are up to par. Nothing is more important to a family's safety in the case of a house fire than a $15 smoke alarm. I have seen it save lives time and again....and I have seen what the absence of one can result in too. :(

Why is that? I did note that the detectors over the doors to the kids rooms are working. The one over the door to our bedroom is not. Ill have to work on that tonight.

Precisely true. Change the batteries in your smoke alarms twice a year to insure that they are up to par. Nothing is more important to a family's safety in the case of a house fire than a $15 smoke alarm. I have seen it save lives time and again....and I have seen what the absence of one can result in too. :(

Our smoke detectors are hard wired into the house. Why do they have batteries?

Our smoke detectors are hard wired into the house. Why do they have batteries?

Most do not have hard wired smoke detectors or security systems. Even at that you should have them tested twice a year to make sure they are working properly.

And even if hard wired you should have on battery powered one on each floor. If a lightening strike knocks out the power and sets an electrical appliance or something on fire.....

Why is that? I did note that the detectors over the doors to the kids rooms are working. The one over the door to our bedroom is not. Ill have to work on that tonight.
Gases released in a fire work to keep you asleep. Most people die of smoke inhalation as they are sleeping.

That makes sense. I had the bright idea to surround the house with pine straw instead of Mulch. Guess that was a bad idea.

I live next to a perserve.. Vacant area full of dried brush, but we are fairly suburban. I guess we will be okay. This experience was just unnerving.

That makes sense. I had the bright idea to surround the house with pine straw instead of Mulch. Guess that was a bad idea.

I live next to a perserve.. Vacant area full of dried brush, but we are fairly suburban. I guess we will be okay. This experience was just unnerving.

break out the garden hose. Water the lawn.

Back