What is Hillarys goal?

I don't know that there is much Obama can do. I'm sure Hillary will make some speeches on his behalf once it's over, and give a good talk at the convention, and try to get her supporters to line up behind him - even though her heart won't really be in it, I doubt you'll be able to tell. Still, there are many who won't.

Everyone thought McCain would never be able to get the base back, but he has gotten some back with varying degrees of success, and there are still 5 months to go. A lot of Hillary supporters who say now they won't vote for Obama if he's the nominee will realize what's at stake, and come around. But some won't. Both candidates will have to deal with the some that won't, and it probably comes close to evening out.

I don't think Obama can pick Hillary. There is only one reason he would, and a lot of reasons why he shouldn't. He has to make a clean break with the past & with the Clinton control of the Dem party if he's really about change.

f) A very good point indeed. I think she will try to undermine him every step of the way.

Send her back to NY.

There are all sorts of opportunities for Clinton in the Senate and throughout government .. including running again in 2016. She'll still be younger than McCain is now.

Howevre if the Clintons undermine Obama, her career is over outside of New York.

There are all sorts of opportunities for Clinton in the Senate and throughout government .. including running again in 2016. She'll still be younger than McCain is now.

Howevre if the Clintons undermine Obama, her career is over outside of New York.

That's not saying much. I believe there is actual dirt that is younger than mccain.

Roe v Wade is on the ballot as is a great many issues important to women. They should choose with their eyes open.

At what point do they recognize that the problem with Hillary is because she's Hillary, not because she's a woman.

Additionally, there is something quite bothersome to me about this whole thing. It's set-up, BY THE CLINTONS, to be a battle between women and blacks, which is real disturbing.

Women have benefitted from the struggles of civil rights and most especially Affirmative Action. AA has been more effective for white women than it has been for blacks .. yet black people don't complain about that as AA was designed to raise all boats. But the ire and angst about AA is almost exclusively directed at blacks.

I'm starting to have real problems with this.

How many women do you think are even aware that white women have been the main beneficiaries of AA? I'd wager very few of them. The ire and angst about AA is directed at blacks because conservatives learned that to get rid of a program, you put a black face on it. Come on , you know that. That's what they did to welfare. that's what they do to any program they want to cut, or eliminate.

Yes, these feelings have been exacerbated by the Clintons, but I think that you were going to see hard feelings in this, on somebody’s part, no matter which one of them won.

I’m writing something about this now, I have been working on it all week. Really struggling with it. Every night I think that I am finished, and every morning I go to the track, and while I am running, I rethink it yet again.

There is going to have to be a way to bridge this, and I think it’s going to have to be bridged between the women on either side. But I’m not sure how yet. I also think Obama is going to make a move on it. And if that doesn’t involve giving Hillary the vp slot, I am curious to see what it’s going to be. I think the rift is too dangerous to leave unhealed.

hmm I wonder if he will pick another woman as VP candidate?

That would almost seem TOO obvious to me. I wouldn't be surprised if some thought that was patronizing in some way. Like, here you go, you vindictive Hillary supporters....happy now?

Maybe, though. Someone mentioned McCaskill, who seems like as good a choice as any. I still think he has to err more toward experience/foreign policy, like Biden.

hmm I wonder if he will pick another woman as VP candidate?

Possible. Hey chap, as I was researching my piece that I’m writing, I came across someone over at the Huffpo who posted “and she has convinced these pms’ing women that she is the victim” and I thought, hmm, that sounds like something Chap would write! lol

How many women do you think are even aware that white women have been the main beneficiaries of AA? I'd wager very few of them. The ire and angst about AA is directed at blacks because conservatives learned that to get rid of a program, you put a black face on it. Come on , you know that. That's what they did to welfare. that's what they do to any program they want to cut, or eliminate.

QFT

Well, women of all colors love Oprah. So I think once he comes on her show a few times, and she gives stuff away in the audience white women will come back.

On the other hand, this morning I heard on Morning Joe that a poll was done this week showing Obama EIGHT POINTS ahead of McCain in PA the state they said would be in play for McCain because too many Hillary supporters wouldn’t vote for Obama.

Possible. Hey chap, as I was researching my piece that I’m writing, I came across someone over at the Huffpo who posted “and she has convinced these pms’ing women that she is the victim” and I thought, hmm, that sounds like something Chap would write! lol

Her biggest pop of the election happened after the whole crying incident right?

Yes, these feelings have been exacerbated by the Clintons, but I think that you were going to see hard feelings in this, on somebody’s part, no matter which one of them won.

I’m writing something about this now, I have been working on it all week. Really struggling with it. Every night I think that I am finished, and every morning I go to the track, and while I am running, I rethink it yet again.

There is going to have to be a way to bridge this, and I think it’s going to have to be bridged between the women on either side. But I’m not sure how yet. I also think Obama is going to make a move on it. And if that doesn’t involve giving Hillary the vp slot, I am curious to see what it’s going to be. I think the rift is too dangerous to leave unhealed.

I agree with everything you've said here and I apologize if I appear to make light of this problem. I assure my fine sister, I do not.

But white women have been one of the bedrocks of change in this country and it troubles me to see the artificial rift developing.

I'm sure that Clare McCaskill is on the short list of VP candidates and I have no doubt that Obama's Administration will be full of women, just as I'm sure he will seriously champion women and childrens rights.

I wish I had an answer, but you should include the benefits women have recieved through policies like AA, and the commonality of the womens and civil right movements in your thoughts. I know you hope to educate people with your writing, and frankly, it's going to take more than just Obama to heal these rifts. As a writer, it is our responsibility to do our part.

Well, women of all colors love Oprah. So I think once he comes on her show a few times, and she gives stuff away in the audience white women will come back.

If I can point to one moment Obama's chances greatly improved, it was the moment Oprah jumped in.

Not an Oprah fan, but credit is due.

I agree with everything you've said here and I apologize if I appear to make light of this problem. I assure my fine sister, I do not.

But white women have been one of the bedrocks of change in this country and it troubles me to see the artificial rift developing.

I'm sure that Clare McCaskill is on the short list of VP candidates and I have no doubt that Obama's Administration will be full of women, just as I'm sure he will seriously champion women and childrens rights.

I wish I had an answer, but you should include the benefits women have recieved through policies like AA, and the commonality of the womens and civil right movements in your thoughts. I know you hope to educate people with your writing, and frankly, it's going to take more than just Obama to heal these rifts. As a writer, it is our responsibility to do our part.

I will add the AA information. I have already put the Supreme Court in there. And war. Which I consider women to be the first casualties of. Just look at the sexual abuse stats in our military, and then you can maybe just start to get an idea for how many Iraqi and Afghani women have been raped.

And I do think that Obama's adminstration is going to be filled with women. One other point that I made, since Ferraro recently called Obama a sexist, was that sexist men don't marry women like Michele Obama. Which I believe to definitely be true. But the most important thing I want to get across, is that even though there has been sexism in this race (in the media and on the internet) she didn't lose this because of sexism, and it was women who ensured that. And many of them were women who supported Obama. So I think it's important to note that, especially with the internet, women have empowered themselves to take on very powerful interests, including large media. And they won. And that's what is going to put a woman in the white house in most of our lifetimes. I think.

I will add the AA information. I have already put the Supreme Court in there. And war. Which I consider women to be the first casualties of. Just look at the sexual abuse stats in our military, and then you can maybe just start to get an idea for how many Iraqi and Afghani women have been raped.

And I do think that Obama's adminstration is going to be filled with women. One other point that I made, since Ferraro recently called Obama a sexist, was that sexist men don't marry women like Michele Obama. Which I believe to definitely be true. But the most important thing I want to get across, is that even though there has been sexism in this race (in the media and on the internet) she didn't lose this because of sexism, and it was women who ensured that. And many of them were women who supported Obama. So I think it's important to note that, especially with the internet, women have empowered themselves to take on very powerful interests, including large media. And they won. And that's what is going to put a woman in the white house in most of our lifetimes. I think.

Excellent points.

I hadn't thought about your point about Michelle Obama but you're absolutely correct.

It's going to take women talking to women to heal the rifts between two naturally connected constituencies.

You've got me thinking that I should write something that addresses this from a black perspective that acknowledges, and in fact, celebrates that connection.

It's going to take us all.

One other point that I made, since Ferraro recently called Obama a sexist, was that sexist men don't marry women like Michele Obama.

I also believe its true. she was in a power position over him when there relationship started as his mentor. Shes a very smart woman. No way Barack is sexist. Bill Clinton yes. Barack obama - No

Back