when McCain drops out

He's of the same mindset as Bush - find military solutions to political problems. That's dangerous regardless of who's in charge.

Hey, have you made any decisions about joining up?

Not yet. It turns out their college loan repayment program actually qualifies private institution loans, not just the fed loans, which is a big incentive. I'm heavily in debt from school (to the tune of $70,000) so the prospect of being out of debt in as little as three years is a light at the end of the tunnel for a guy who has no idea how he's going to pay it down otherwise.

Apart from that, I would get $40,000 toward a home or business when I leave at the end of five years. That's good capital to start with, leaving the army with little or no debt.

At the same time, this all assumes I don't die. I'm hoping the war gets drawn down in three to four years. If that happens, the signing bonuses go away, but if I join before they go away I get to reap the benefits without having to see combat all 5 years.

Anyway, that's where I'm at.

Not yet. It turns out their college loan repayment program actually qualifies private institution loans, not just the fed loans, which is a big incentive. I'm heavily in debt from school (to the tune of $70,000) so the prospect of being out of debt in as little as three years is a light at the end of the tunnel for a guy who has no idea how he's going to pay it down otherwise.

Apart from that, I would get $40,000 toward a home or business when I leave at the end of five years. That's good capital to start with, leaving the army with little or no debt.

At the same time, this all assumes I don't die. I'm hoping the war gets drawn down in three to four years. If that happens, the signing bonuses go away, but if I join before they go away I get to reap the benefits without having to see combat all 5 years.

Anyway, that's where I'm at.

Well, at least make sure you don’t sign anything until we know who the next President is going to be. What a country we live in when a kid racks up 70k in school loans just to get an education, and is desperate enough to be easy pickings. That's a lot of money to pay off in this economy.

Well, at least make sure you don’t sign anything until we know who the next President is going to be. What a country we live in when a kid racks up 70k in school loans just to get an education, and is desperate enough to be easy pickings. That's a lot of money to pay off in this economy.

No kidding. I know exactly what they're doing, but man it works.

A kid with a college education and prospects shouldn't be thinking about the military. But when they offer things nobody else can (like bribes in large sums of money), what's a guy to do?

Back