Which President is appealing?

DeMartMan

One President leaves office and a new one enters. This was when the new First Lady announced to the press that this White House would be more cultured and exercise more class as they were not opposed to serving alcohol. This was directed at the former President who was a non-drinker. The new President offended the supporters of the former by drinking. Here is my questions to you, how do you feel about the statement of the First Lady? Which President's character is more appealing to you?

One President leaves office and a new one enters. This was when the new First Lady announced to the press that this White House would be more cultured and exercise more class as they were not opposed to serving alcohol. This was directed at the former President who was a non-drinker. The new President offended the supporters of the former by drinking. Here is my questions to you, how do you feel about the statement of the First Lady? Which President's character is more appealing to you?

I sense this isn't about the current and past administration.

Lemonade Lucy?

I sense this isn't about the current and past administration.

Lemonade Lucy?

Yes, this is one of those gotcha threads, for I never identified who the two Presidents were. The President who had a dry White House was Jimmy Carter, it was Nancy Reagan who made the comment and it was Ronald Reagan who was a social drinker. My purpose in this exercise is to show how easy our opinion's can be influenced by our political bias. This is good exercise to put to your friends and family members with strong political opinions as it makes us think about how quick we react. Many people will flip flop and it can be interesting even amusing. The question is to everyone, does your opinion of the dry President change when you realize that it is Carter instead of Bush and does your opinion change when you realize that the wet President was Reagan and not Obama?

does your opinion change when you realize that the wet President was Reagan and not Obama?
//

Nope

What's funny is that two of the worst US Presidents in history were Grant (an alcoholic, who managed to complete his $1 Million memoirs for his family before he succumbed to his disease) and Carter on the opposite extreme...

What's funny is that two of the worst US Presidents in history were Grant (an alcoholic, who managed to complete his $1 Million memoirs for his family before he succumbed to his disease) and Carter on the opposite extreme...
He didn't succumb to alcoholism, he had throat cancer. And there is more evidence of actual illness than there is evidence of alcoholism.

I really do recommend "Lee and Grant" as a good solid read as well as a learning experience. We often fall for myth and innuendo from history more than we learn from it.

Although his Presidency had much about it that reminded me of Bush.

He didn't succumb to alcoholism, he had throat cancer. And there is more evidence of actual illness than there is evidence of alcoholism.

I really do recommend "Lee and Grant" as a good solid read as well as a learning experience. We often fall for myth and innuendo from history more than we learn from it.

Although his Presidency had much about it that reminded me of Bush.

Grant was an excellent American general, and second only to Sherman, in my book. I also consider Lee to be a highly overrated Confederate general. Actually, I kind of took a liking to Longstreet after watching Gettysberg :)

It is unfortunate that Grant was such a failure as a president, though. Thanks for the correction about the circumstances of his death.

Back