Which Republican would you........?

I served in Purple Coat assignments my entire time in the Navy. I was never assigned to a Navy Base. I saw all the services, all the time.

IMO, if you want people who are the best at the jobs they have been trained for you go Navy. The Marines spend a lot of time training to be Marines and the job they are assigned seems secondary. The Air Force has some smart guys who are good, but they act more like civilians than any other force other than the Coast Guard guys I met, and the Air Force tends to promote past the competence level, much like a Corporation. The Army seemed to be full of people who were taught to respond to something other than thought (thankfully not all of them, but all too often... there is no equivalent to the level this was at in the Navy as compared to the infantry in the Army.)

And if people think that "military" means all stiff and unchanging they are quite mistaken.

While I was biased because I was in the Navy, each time I moved to another base, each place I taught another class, every time I did a stint aboard a ship, I was again shown to be correct in my bias.

While there are guys in the Navy that aren't the brightest bulbs, they are masters at the job they are trained to perform. You can trust the boatswain's mate to do his job, the Crypto tech to be the professional he should be, the helmsman to steer you true, and if they are promoted past their competence level you can trust they will not be aboard ship for long.

Look, I'm not putting the Navy down, they have great people but in my experience in dealing with all the services they were not of the same caliber, across the board, top to bottom, as the Coasties and the Air Force. I'll say this. Navy personnel were closer in quality and caliber to the Coasties and Air Force then the Army or Marine Corp.

To be honest with you most of the service people I worked with were quality people. Incompetents and Fuck Ups tended to get weeded out pretty quickly in today's millitary.

In all fairness to Damo and his navy status, there are three types of sailors I'd share a foxhole with.

1) corpsman - bravest MFers in the navy to walk side by side with marines, unarmed usually, and patch em up to keep em fighting.

2) SEALs - because they are just that fricking badass.

3) cook - because of all the branches of service, they make the best tasting chow.

I didn't realize that by clicking on this thread I'd be walking in on a dick-swinging contest.

Come now, Dung, there's nothing wrong with a group of gentlemen telling other gentlemen which type of seamen they'd like in their holes, is there?

Come now, Dung, there's nothing wrong with a group of gentlemen telling other gentlemen which type of seamen they'd like in their holes, is there?

Ok, Charver gets my vote for "Funniest Line on JPP".

Ok, Charver gets my vote for "Funniest Line on JPP".

I'd like to meet him just to see if he could say these lines with a straight face. He's a limey so he probably can.

Though Charver aint got shit on Benny Hill when it comes to being funny. Not only that but Hill is way more dead than Charver too!

That's really part of the problem with British Comedians. It's hard to determine if they are telling a joke or are dead.

You know, like Graham Chapman? One time I thought he was telling a real funny joke, much like his eulogy for a dead parrot skit, turns out he was dead. Oh well, my bad.

But still and all, the British are way a head of the Germans in the humor department.....but that's probably not saying much, is it?

Last edited:
Back