Who is Cunningham?

there's a definite difference between populists and neocons. Neocons believe in sending jobs overseas to cut costs in the short term and gain market share at the expense of the middle class. Populists are ag'in' it.

Both sides claim to represent the majority. The thing is, populists were traditionally anti-capitalist and anti-industry (pro-agriculture), but in the 70's, the South (an epicenter of populism) began to turn capitalist, thus making it ripe for a GOP takeover. I don't think its necessarily inconsistent to be pro-big business and a populist in 2008.

Populist were pre....

Both sides claim to represent the majority. The thing is, populists were traditionally anti-capitalist and anti-industry (pro-agriculture), but in the 70's, the South (an epicenter of populism) began to turn capitalist, thus making it ripe for a GOP takeover. I don't think its necessarily inconsistent to be pro-big business and a populist in 2008.

TR era the 'Bull MooseParty' albeit TR did embrace some populist thoughts not all were embraced...they have resurfaced as you have alluded to...however asshat nailed it...about the difference!

Cunningham has the right take on mcain now though. A sellout who will throw everyone under the bus.

A middle name is red meat? Not quite.

Oh please, don't give me that bullshit. How fucking niave do you think I am? The Cunt was ussing Barak's middle name in order to play to the bigotry of the right wing and evengelical base. The insinuation being that Obama's not only a niger but a muslim niger.

John McCain, on ethical grounds was absolutely 100% correct for doing what he did. Whether you wing nuts like it or not, and I'm betting you don't, McCain will be the savior of the Republican party. The sooner he marginalizes the far right, the better!

I'd like to know where you read your history books? Capitalism had virtually nothing to do with Republican take over of the south.

I'd like to know where you read your history books? Capitalism had virtually nothing to do with Republican take over of the south.

The South was still perfectly willing to vote for an evangelical of either party in the 70's (such as Carter). It did not go fully over to the GOP until the Reagan Revolution and its own trend towards industrial growth and capitalism throughout the decade. It has subsequently been the fastest growing economy ever since.

LOL..............

The South was still perfectly willing to vote for an evangelical of either party in the 70's (such as Carter). It did not go fully over to the GOP until the Reagan Revolution and its own trend towards industrial growth and capitalism throughout the decade. It has subsequently been the fastest growing economy ever since.

Hummm...can peanuts be turned into fuel? I think they can(veggie deisel?)...but how much would it cost vs production? Kinda like 'Billy Beer'..:cof1:

Last edited:
No, its anti-business.

Nope. It's merely putting business in a context alongside other considerations, instead of letting the short term profit motive of business set all national policy. Populism is most accurately merely anti-fascism, but of course in your propaganda created brain, the only thing that's not fascism must be communism, and communism is anti-business. The truth is not even allowed to exist in your brain because of the way the frames have been inserted in your mind by the propaganda machine.

Nope. It's merely putting business in a context alongside other considerations, instead of letting the short term profit motive of business set all national policy. Populism is most accurately merely anti-fascism, but of course in your propaganda created brain, the only thing that's not fascism must be communism, and communism is anti-business. The truth is not even allowed to exist in your brain because of the way the frames have been inserted in your mind by the propaganda machine.

Yes, populism is so anti-fascist that populists supported slavery and segregation...

Oh hell, racial politics has vastly more to do with the GOP consolidating it's base in the south then economics ever did. In the critical period of the Civil Rights movement from the 50's through the 70's states in the deep south actually lost population despite the increase in Universities and Military Establishments that attracted northern transplants. So economics and population growth do not explain Republican consolidation in the south. It started originally with Herbert Hoover in the 1928 election where Herbert, a Republican, rode to the white house in thanks to southern votes he earned partially on a platform of prohibition and anti-catholicism. Southern support for Democrats consistently eroded in the deep south during the late 40's and 50's when Truman desegregated the Military. The 1964 nomination of Barry Goldwater which began the trend of a far more conservative Republican party and it's haemoraging of moderate and liberal members which shifted the center of the Republican party to the south and the west. The real catalyist though was the 1964 Civil Rights Act that out and out alienated southern conservative whites with the Democrats. It was Nixon strategist Kevin Philips (Who also coined the term "Southern Strategy") who advised Nixon to exploit these sentiments. It was then that you started to hear those beloved odes or code words to racism and opposition to civil rights in the south of "Law and Order" and "States Rights" and "forced busing"

The greatest cause of the south's switching to Republicans was the Democrats turned their back on segregation. At the time of the 1964 Civil Rights act a higher proportion of Republicans supported the act then did Democrats, but in 1964, Republicans were dominated by eastern establishment moderates. Nixon was the first Republican presidential candidate to exploit this crack in the "Solid South" in order to reach voters who previously the Republicans had been unable to tap. Nixon's brilliance during this campaign was that he was able to take a strongly conservative rhetoric in the south while parlaying the perception as a moderate to the rest of the nation into a landslide victory.

The contribution that Reagan made was that by 1979 segregation was so discredited that the national back lash of using that as a strategy was no longer tenable. What Reagan did, which politically was brilliant though morally bankrupt, was he wrapped the old segregationist code phrases into the language of Federalism. That the authority for decisions about education and civil rights and others should be returned to the States and local communities with the tax funds to support them. Considering the south's heinous and undefensible history on both issues not very palatable on a national level, until Reagan wraped it in the language of Federalism.

In short Republicans sold their sole to the devil knowing they could use such a relentless appeal to southern white racist who could never forgive a Democrat party for its support of civil rights and voting rights for blacks. The time will come when this will bite the Republicans in the ass (and that may be now.).

Reagan's real contribution to the Republican consolidation of the south was only economic on the surface. Scratch the surface of his abstract economic federalism and you still see policies that are aimed at hurting blacks coached in the terms of tax cuts, the free market and school vouchers.

Reagan's contribution to the consolidation of Republicans in the south was that he made the language of racism and segregation in the south an abstraction that has ran the course of the hostile and not so abstract "Niger, niger, niger, of the 1950's to the code language of "Forced Busing, "Law and Order" and "States Rights" in the 70's to the abstractions of "Tax Cuts, Free Market and School Vouchers" of the present or, to use your language "Capitalism and Industrial Growth".

Well the truth is, if it walks like a duck and it quacks like a duck....it's a duck!

Why would racists be drawn to the republicans when you admitted yourself they had stronger support than dems of the 1964 civil rights act?

I see the southern strategy as more pandering to the religious elements of the south moreso than the outright racist aspects.

I hate the South, and its a shame they came into the party. Actually, a Humphrey election in 1968 would have done wonders for the GOP. However, Mottley is ignoring the fact that the GOP has a celebrated history of conservatives and their moralist causes (this crap about the GOP leaning farther to the right...).

Also, I have yet to see Forced Busing actually do anyone any good. Students in Seattle get a nice long bus drive every morning to a shitty school accross town. God forbit they should be absent-minded like me and habitually forget books in their locker. And forget community and parental envolvement. But anyway, it was well meaning at least...

And yes, Federalism is an American principle. Unfortunately, it is tied to the concept of republican virtue and the lifespan of the American experiment. When someone abuses it, like the South, it erodes and liberty dies.

I hate the South, and its a shame they came into the party. Actually, a Humphrey election in 1968 would have done wonders for the GOP. However, Mottley is ignoring the fact that the GOP has a celebrated history of conservatives and their moralist causes (this crap about the GOP leaning farther to the right...).

Also, I have yet to see Forced Busing actually do anyone any good. Students in Seattle get a nice long bus drive every morning to a shitty school accross town. God forbit they should be absent-minded like me and habitually forget books in their locker. And forget community and parental envolvement. But anyway, it was well meaning at least...

And yes, Federalism is an American principle. Unfortunately, it is tied to the concept of republican virtue and the lifespan of the American experiment. When someone abuses it, like the South, it erodes and liberty dies.

You're nuts Three. Forced busing was probably the single most effective anti-segregation method implemented. I've lived in the south and let's give credit where it's due. Though the vestiges of Jim Crow and racism are alive and well in the south, black and whites live together there. They live in the same neighborhoods and their kids go to the same schools and they know each other. In many respects racism is more insidious in the Northern States, where Blacks live mainly in urban ghettos and less in small towns and the suburbs. Forced busing created a situation of forced exposure and hard won respect for each other that is very present in the south.

I will grant Mottley, that I know far less about the southern experience with busing, and have actually heard much good about it. However, I have also heard arguments that with such a substantial population of blacks in the south (as opposed to only 4.45% in WA), younger generations of southerners have had such exposure to one-another, which has been the real catalyst for change...

Where I grew up, the minority on my cul-de-sac consists of a Jewish family. Though, the small percentage of blacks surprises me (compared to say, over 7% Asian), because I knew blacks all throughout school, going back to preschool when I was friends with a boy named Raymond.

However, busing in Seattle, is and always has been a complete disaster, and the term "White Flight" applies well to the suburbs of the greater Seattle area. Basically, that confirms Mottley's point, and I don't disagree with him, that the North has been very problematic.

Back