Why do Christians believe in Jesus when He's NOWHERE in the Hebrew Bible?

[video=youtube;0TE_tOteeL0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TE_tOteeL0[/vide]
Jesus was from the House of David and several events in his life were tied to Hebrew predictions of the Messiah…some of which were backdated such as the Bethlehem story.

That said, Christianity didn’t suddenly pop into existence. It grew as a movement and evolved over the following 300 years. People who strongly believed were routinely executed by the Romans. In Judea this was often done with the help of Judean leaders since both the Romans and Judeans didn’t like the radical upheaval of the social order being created by the followers of Jesus.

I've been here since2009 and I've never seen one........but if you can find one feel free to link it......meanwhile, this is the second one here today from an atheist......

Of course you don't remember. Drinking will do that. lol

https://www.justplainpolitics.com/showthread.php?108124-Atheist-logic&p=2755851#post2755851

https://www.justplainpolitics.com/showthread.php?186757-Famous-Atheist&p=5019903#post5019903

https://www.justplainpolitics.com/s...-Atheist-in-an-Argument&p=1037408#post1037408

You even posted in that last one. But yeah sure, you never. :laugh:

why do atheists always feel compelled to start threads attacking Christian beliefs?........is it insecurity?.....

Why do you mock God? I have never understood that about your posting style. You lie, bear false witness and are generally a horrible person yet you think you are fooling people into thinking you are some sort of "Christian" and you gild the lily with a bible quote in your signature file....you put it all in there!

So why do YOU do it?

Why do you mock God? I have never understood that about your posting style. You lie, bear false witness and are generally a horrible person yet you think you are fooling people into thinking you are some sort of "Christian" and you gild the lily with a bible quote in your signature file....you put it all in there!

So why do YOU do it?
It’s easier to understand when you realize that Pmp worships the Dark Lord.

Jesus was from the House of David and several events in his life were tied to Hebrew predictions of the Messiah…some of which were backdated such as the Bethlehem story.

That said, Christianity didn’t suddenly pop into existence. It grew as a movement and evolved over the following 300 years. People who strongly believed were routinely executed by the Romans. In Judea this was often done with the help of Judean leaders since both the Romans and Judeans didn’t like the radical upheaval of the social order being created by the followers of Jesus.

I guess I don't understand the question in the thread title. Jesus, Paul, Peter lived centuries after the books of the TaNak were written, why would they be expected to be in the Hebrew bible?

So why do YOU do it?

I look at the ethical example Jesus exemplified as a high bar to clear. Most MAGAs will utterly fail at clearing the bar, just like most students in a college class will never attain an A+.

I guess I don't understand the question in the thread title. Jesus, Paul, Peter lived centuries after the books of the TaNak were written, why would they be expected to be in the Hebrew bible?

I think the questions asks why Jesus wasn’t named in the Torah….prophecies rarely name the actual person who is being prophesied about. It’s always something like “a man will come from the wilderness” or, “a messiah will come from the House of David”. In the case of Jesus, some portions of the Gospels appear to be reengineered to fit the prophesy. His birth in Bethlehem was one. Another was his arrival into Jerusalem on a donkey, which was part of the prophesy. In that case, Jesus may have deliberately arrived in such a manner so as to fit the prophesy.

I think the questions asks why Jesus wasn’t named in the Torah….prophecies rarely name the actual person who is being prophesied about. It’s always something like “a man will come from the wilderness” or, “a messiah will come from the House of David”. In the case of Jesus, some portions of the Gospels appear to be reengineered to fit the prophesy. His birth in Bethlehem was one. Another was his arrival into Jerusalem on a donkey, which was part of the prophesy. In that case, Jesus may have deliberately arrived in such a manner so as to fit the prophesy.

Oh, I get it now.

Yes, the claims of prophetic predictions of Jesus in the TaNaK are tenuous at best, not credible at worst.

I believe the real reason some of the early xtians wanted to lay claim to the TaNaK is because it gave their fledgling religion legitimacy in the eyes of the Romans. The Romans were suspicious of any new or novel cults, but they tended to be relatively tolerant of ancient traditions like Judaism, Zoroastrianism, etc.

I look at the ethical example Jesus exemplified as a high bar to clear. Most MAGAs will utterly fail at clearing the bar, just like most students in a college class will never attain an A+.

Agreed 100%. I have not seen a single Trumper on this forum who has followed in the footsteps of Christ. They use Christianity as a shield, claim “we all sinners”, never show an ounce of redemption and continue to spread hate within minutes, if not seconds, of declaring they are Christians.

The nutjobs like Sybil, I can understand. They’re irrational. Stone and Pmp are not mental cases…even though I think Pmp may be slipping into some age-related dementia. Regardless, both know the difference between right and wrong yet willfully choose wrong.

Oh, I get it now.

Yes, the claims of prophetic predictions of Jesus in the TaNaK are tenuous at best, not credible at worst.

I believe the real reason some of the early xtians wanted to lay claim to the TaNaK is because it gave their fledgling religion legitimacy in the eyes of the Romans. The Romans were suspicious of any new or novel cults, but they tended to be relatively tolerant of ancient traditions like Judaism, Zoroastrianism, etc.

I can see why they’d want to be seen as a religion, not a cult. The Romans saw them as a threat even though the Romans often tolerated local religions that didn’t get in their way.

Another theory would be the same human nature that drives Christians to both keep believing the Second Coming will arrive in their lifetimes and trying to fit prophesy, such as the Second Coming or Armageddon, into current events. I have little doubt that many early Christians, who were mostly Judeans and Greeks, believed Jesus fit the prophesies.

Back