Why do Christians proselytize?

BidenPresident

Verified User
If you are happy with your beliefs, why not be happy? If no one asks about your beliefs, why do you insist on lecturing others?
If you have to tell others why they are wrong, it is you who are wrong.

Example. There are beer styles I like that a lot of people do not like. I don't go around telling them they are wrong. I can enjoy something without annoying others with my beliefs.

The second thing which is extremely arrogant, is to say that if you don't convert you are immoral.

If you are happy with your beliefs, why not be happy? If no one asks about your beliefs, why do you insist on lecturing others?

Example. There are beer styles I like that a lot of people do not like. I don't go around telling them they are wrong. I can enjoy something without annoying others with my beliefs.

The second thing which is extremely arrogant, is to say that if you don't convert you are immoral.

You're thinking about the pompous fake Christians prevalent among the far right. The bible tells us not to make a spectacle out of our beliefs.

why did an atheist start this thread when no one here was "proselytizing".....

I don't go around telling them they are wrong
oh wait, you just did.....

by the way, converting doesn't make you moral........it just means you're forgiven for being immoral......

The same reason Muslims do. Why do you hate Christians but not Muslims? Do you hate Jews too?

why did an atheist start this thread when no one here was "proselytizing".....

oh wait, you just did.....

by the way, converting doesn't make you moral........it just means you're forgiven for being immoral......

So that's why you continue to be immoral and feel safe?

You're thinking about the pompous fake Christians prevalent among the far right. The bible tells us not to make a spectacle out of our beliefs.

Or to judge others as well -- which is exactly what they are doing when they tell non-believers (even other Xtians of other flavors!) that they are going to hell.

The same reason Muslims do. Why do you hate Christians but not Muslims? Do you hate Jews too?

I have worked with and gone to school with and lived near Muslim people, yet have never once had one tell me about their religion. Well, other than my lab partner who complained that her hijab was fearfully hot in the St. Louis summers and made her hair flat. lol

everyone is immoral.....all the time........those who admit it and reach out to God will fare differently than those who do not and turn their backs to him......there.....NOW I have proselytized......

Speak for yourself, pumpkin. Have you ever tried to STOP being immoral? Why not? Just easier this way? :laugh:

where exactly does it say that ?

May I?

Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven. Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward.

Matthew 6:1-6

Some Christians reach out to others because they think there are tangible benefits to being a Christian...and want to share those benefits. I think there are benefits to reading...and often reach out to share that thought in order to share what I perceive to be the benefits. It seems to be to be a natural thing to do.

Very few actually lecture others. I think you are misreading most Christians in that regard, BP.

I have personally never met a Christian who suggests that if one does not convert...that person is de facto immoral. Are you saying you have?

Back