Why is the left afraid of nuclear energy?

Chernobyl was built poorly and Japan was stupid for putting it next to the ocean

As opposed to the US nuke plant in Omaha back in 2011 that just barely escaped the same fate as Fukishima by a few feet? Or all those still births by farm animals after 3 Mile Island in NY?

As opposed to the US nuke plant in Omaha back in 2011 that just barely escaped the same fate as Fukishima by a few feet? Or all those still births by farm animals after 3 Mile Island in NY?

The Fort Calhoun plant has a secondary containment (the big concrete dome thing). Even if the plant flooded, the reactor wouldn't have been effected. Fukushima failed because it lacked a secondary containment system and the emergency generators on site were situated in a basement so were flooded immediately. It is something of an oddity though using a Combustion Engineering reactor design.

At the time of the flood you cite, the plant was shut down for refueling so flooding would have made zero difference in any case as the reactor was defueled at the time.

1280px-Corp_of_Eng._6-16-11A_267.JPG

The plant was shut down in 2016 in any case so the whole question is moot.

As for the still births, got a citation for that? I studied that incident in great detail and there was no significant release of radiation involved. So, it is likely--almost certainly--that whatever that was wasn't caused by the TMI meltdown.

How many people and animals have died due to climate change?

Which do you think is worse?

It doesn’t add to climate change, it would massively reduce our reliance on fossil fuels, it would clog up the environment with windmills and solar panels and it’s extremely cheap

So why are you folks on the left against this power supply?

I’m left. I’m not against nuclear.

Why do you make such a blanket statement? Out of partisan ignorance? Yeah, no doubt.

I wouldn’t care

When was the last time a nuclear plant wiped out a bunch of people in the US?
Well, unlike you, I wouldn’t want a reactor near me. I would want to be outside of the 50 mile range in case of mishap and evacuation. I would also want to know what types of cancer and disease are associated with living near a facility.

Chernobyl was built poorly and Japan was stupid for putting it next to the ocean
[FONT=&quot]Here's what we know. This July 24, 2008 photo shows the Monticello nuclear power plant in Monticello, MN. In November 2022, the plant confirmed a 400,000 gallon leak of water containing tritium and reported it to officials.[FONT=&quot]Mar 19, 2023[/FONT]
[/FONT]

https://www.npr.org › 2023/03/19

[h=3]A nuclear power plant leaked contaminated water in Minnesota. Here's what we know - NPR[/h]

I guess you prefer hundreds of oil spills to a risk of a radiation leak that’s never happened in the US

So quit bitching about climate change when you ignore an obvious solution

Hmm.... Never happened? There has never been a major radiation leak in the US but just this year...
https://www.mprnews.org/story/2023/...icello-nuclear-plant-radioactive-tritium-leak
Xcel Energy said last week it will power down the plant after monitoring equipment detected more radioactive tritium was leaking into groundwater.

Everything has risks but the benefits of nuclear energy far outweigh them

I’m sure every lefty here would say that climate change is far more dangerous then a few people getting irradiated every 30 years

That doesn't explain how nuclear power is more economical.

Nuclear power is more economical because of the capacity factor of the plant. This is particularly true when you compare it to solar and wind.

Solar and wind typically have capacity factors between 20 and 30% while a nuclear plant is typically 96 to 98%. Put another way, a nuclear plant gets up and running and stays online for months, even years, steadily producing massive amounts of power 24/7. Wind and solar--particularly solar--produce power intermittently when the wind blows or the sun shines. Even when producing the output is highly variable.
Thus, neither wind or solar can be relied on for base loading of the grid unlike nuclear. That means you have to duplicate capacity and have backup power plants that can be quickly brought on line and taken off to make up for solar and wind's unreliability. That adds lots of costs that otherwise wouldn't be present with a stable, reliable production system.

Nuclear power is more economical because of the capacity factor of the plant. This is particularly true when you compare it to solar and wind.

Solar and wind typically have capacity factors between 20 and 30% while a nuclear plant is typically 96 to 98%. Put another way, a nuclear plant gets up and running and stays online for months, even years, steadily producing massive amounts of power 24/7. Wind and solar--particularly solar--produce power intermittently when the wind blows or the sun shines. Even when producing the output is highly variable.
Thus, neither wind or solar can be relied on for base loading of the grid unlike nuclear. That means you have to duplicate capacity and have backup power plants that can be quickly brought on line and taken off to make up for solar and wind's unreliability. That adds lots of costs that otherwise wouldn't be present with a stable, reliable production system.

Have you ever been at a commercial nuclear plant?????????????

Back