Wow. Was That Ever Some Amazing Football From The NFL Championships Last Night!

PoliTalker

Diversity Makes Greatness
I was never much of an NFL fan until President Trump said we should boycott the NFL.

That was the moment I became an NFL fan.

And I gotta say wow.

Those two games yesterday. What great games! Both of them went into overtime, first the Rams/Saints, and then the Chiefs/Patriots.

PoliTalker anti-troll thread thief disclaimer: If this thread is stolen, plagiarized, will the thief have the nerve to use the entire OP, word for word? Including this disclaimer? If you want my take on it, you'll have to post to this original PoliTalker thread. I refuse to be an enabler for online bullies, so I won't post to a stolen thread. I won't even read it. If you don't see me, PoliTalker, posting in this thread check the author. This might be a hijacked thread, not the original.

And then there were two.

Doesn't look like too many people are boycotting the NFL.

The stands were filled for both games.

I was never much of an NFL fan until President Trump said we should boycott the NFL.

And I gotta say wow.

Those two games yesterday. What great games! Both of them went into overtime, first the Rams/Saints, and then the Chiefs/Patriots.

PoliTalker anti-troll thread thief disclaimer: If this thread is stolen, plagiarized, will the thief have the nerve to use the entire OP, word for word? Including this disclaimer? If you want my take on it, you'll have to post to this original PoliTalker thread. I refuse to be an enabler for online bullies, so I won't post to a stolen thread. I won't even read it. If you don't see me, PoliTalker, posting in this thread check the author. This might be a hijacked thread, not the original.

And then there were two.

Trump said we should boycott the NFL?
I must have missed that, do you have a link to that quote?
As for the games, the officiating left much to be desired in both games.

Trump has an old vendetta against the NFL.. He bought a second tier team and tried to force the NFL to accept them.. They shut him out of football permanently.

Trump has an old vendetta against the NFL.. He bought a second tier team and tried to force the NFL to accept them.. They shut him out of football permanently.

Bullshit.
Maybe you can show us where Trump said to boycott the NFL?

And I gotta say wow.

And then there were two.

Donald Trump once sued the NFL as an owner of a largely forgotten football team

More than 30 years ago, Donald Trump bought a franchise in the upstart United States Football League.
He then led his fellow owners to sue the NFL in a high-stakes antitrust case.

The head-on challenge and his ownership of the New Jersey Generals was an early testing ground for the swashbuckling approach that the celebrity businessman-turned-Republican presidential candidate has brought to his 2016 campaign.

"Donald was the big, crazy-spending owner, and the NFL guys were scared to death of him," said Bill Tatham Jr., an owner of the USFL's Arizona Outlaws who came to admire Trump's tactics.

Trump, in an interview Friday with The Associated Press, said his involvement with the league helped it stay alive longer than it would have otherwise, and that his involvement with the team raised his profile.

Before the upstart league, he said, "I was well known, but not really well known. After taxes, I would say I lost $3 million. And I got a billion dollars of free publicity."

The USFL was founded with an explicit goal: avoid fights with the NFL. Thanks to novelty and a few marquee players, most notably the Generals' Hershel Walker, a Heisman Trophy winner, the league got off to a promising start. But by the end of the inaugural 1983 season, enthusiasm had ebbed and some cornerstone franchises were struggling.

continued

https://www.businessinsider.com/donald-trump-sued-nfl-as-usfl-team-owner-2016-2

Donald Trump once sued the NFL as an owner of a largely forgotten football team

More than 30 years ago, Donald Trump bought a franchise in the upstart United States Football League.
He then led his fellow owners to sue the NFL in a high-stakes antitrust case.

The head-on challenge and his ownership of the New Jersey Generals was an early testing ground for the swashbuckling approach that the celebrity businessman-turned-Republican presidential candidate has brought to his 2016 campaign.

"Donald was the big, crazy-spending owner, and the NFL guys were scared to death of him," said Bill Tatham Jr., an owner of the USFL's Arizona Outlaws who came to admire Trump's tactics.

Trump, in an interview Friday with The Associated Press, said his involvement with the league helped it stay alive longer than it would have otherwise, and that his involvement with the team raised his profile.

Before the upstart league, he said, "I was well known, but not really well known. After taxes, I would say I lost $3 million. And I got a billion dollars of free publicity."

The USFL was founded with an explicit goal: avoid fights with the NFL. Thanks to novelty and a few marquee players, most notably the Generals' Hershel Walker, a Heisman Trophy winner, the league got off to a promising start. But by the end of the inaugural 1983 season, enthusiasm had ebbed and some cornerstone franchises were struggling.

continued

https://www.businessinsider.com/donald-trump-sued-nfl-as-usfl-team-owner-2016-2

The USFL had no association whatsoever with the NFL.

Hello RB 60,

No, it was in the news in 2017 right after he got elected. He was trying to divert attention away from his Trump University law suit pay off.

I couldn't believe blatant and obvious passer interference did not result in a flag. How could they not SEE that?

"SOMERSET, N.J. — President Trump on Sunday called for football fans to boycott N.F.L. games unless the league fires or suspends players who refuse to stand for the national anthem, saying that players must “stop disrespecting our flag and country.”

“If NFL fans refuse to go to games until players stop disrespecting our country, you will see change take place fast,” Mr. Trump wrote, on the second weekend morning in a row in which he vented over the issue on social media. “Fire or suspend!”"

Trump Calls for Boycott if N.F.L. Doesn’t Crack Down on Anthem Protests

Then go back and actually read the fucking article.

I read the damn article, and a number of others. What started out as a summer alternative to the fall winter NFL league, it quickly turned into a league that some teams had trouble (from pressure from the NFL) securing leases from stadiums the NFL played in. Trying to be competitive with the NFL, some USFL teams started bidding wars recruiting NFL players, which put them in financial troubles. Trying to force a merger, Trump (along with a handful of other owners) wanted to start a fall schedule to directly compete with the NFL. As part of this attempt, the USFL filed an anti-trust lawsuit against the NFL in 1986, and a jury ruled that the NFL had violated anti-monopoly laws. However, in a victory in name only, the USFL was awarded a judgment of just $1, which under anti-trust laws, was tripled to $3. This court decision effectively ended the USFL's existence, so there was never a merger.
Yes, some USFL players and coaches (a few now in the NFL's HOF) were associated with the NFL, but the two leagues themselves were NEVER associated with each other.

I read the damn article, and a number of others. What started out as a summer alternative to the fall winter NFL league, it quickly turned into a league that some teams had trouble (from pressure from the NFL) securing leases from stadiums the NFL played in. Trying to be competitive with the NFL, some USFL teams started bidding wars recruiting NFL players, which put them in financial troubles. Trying to force a merger, Trump (along with a handful of other owners) wanted to start a fall schedule to directly compete with the NFL. As part of this attempt, the USFL filed an anti-trust lawsuit against the NFL in 1986, and a jury ruled that the NFL had violated anti-monopoly laws. However, in a victory in name only, the USFL was awarded a judgment of just $1, which under anti-trust laws, was tripled to $3. This court decision effectively ended the USFL's existence, so there was never a merger.
Yes, some USFL players and coaches (a few now in the NFL's HOF) were associated with the NFL, but the two leagues themselves were NEVER associated with each other.

I don't know why you are caught-up on the term "association with the NFL," as though anyone on this thread, other than yourself, is claiming anything sinister about having an "association with the NFL." Someone took a jab at Trump's participation in the USFL, which resulted in him losing a team to the eventual bankruptcy.

As a relatively new NFL fan, I have been intrigued seeing how the game works. Particularly interesting is the effect a stadium full of fans has on the game. The visiting team has to put up with a lot of noise while they are trying to work the ball down the field, but the crowd quiets down for the home team snap. The players on the field pick up on this energy. It's very interesting.

Of course, that has the maximum effect when the stadium is full.

If Trump was trying to drive people away from the game?

He failed.

These stadiums have been filled to capacity.

Oh, I know there have been a few former fans who left the game over what they thought of as 'disrespect for the anthem.' And I don't agree with that form of protest myself. I don't like to see the flag disrespected. But the flag is nothing but a symbol. It's a bold move to take a knee during the anthem. It is very attention getting. There has to be a very strong reason for somebody to take that very bold action.

Racism.

We have a problem with racism in the USA.

We are trying to move past it, put it in our past, but we still have some racism that won't go away. We can't pretend it is gone. I thought surely by now everybody would understand it's wrong. It's a troubling problem that is still with us. Our prisons are full of black people. Blacks are arrested more than whites for the same situations. And when they are arrested, they are more likely to be charged in similar circumstances. And when they are charged with a crime, they are more likely to be charged with more crimes that carry longer sentences. And when convicted, they usually draw longer sentencing. It's wrong. We have to work to fix that miscarriage of justice.

And I gotta say wow.

And then there were two.

I have to agree ...

I hope this doesn't mean the next game is boring ...

I have to agree ...

I hope this doesn't mean the next game is boring ...

The Pro Bowl usually is.

The Super Bowl should prove very interesting. The Pats have reliable ability to methodically score, but the Rams explosive potential for big plays could easily surpass NE.

Back