You Are Actually A Time Traveler Every Time You Fly On A Jet

AProudLefty

Black Kitty Ain't Happy
Literally.

We all know that our clocks change as we cross time zones in an airplane. Did you know however that you are actually traveling a bit further into the future, relative to your friends on the ground when flying? This effect is called time dilation, predicted and later proven by Einstein’s special and general theories of relativity.

Assume you’re flying at 10,668 meters for 8 hours at roughly 1,007 kph, from true south to true north, where your friend is sitting at sea level; when you arrive, your watch will be running about 0.00504 seconds faster than theirs.

Congratulations, you are a true time traveller. ;)

https://foxnomad.com/2017/08/15/travel-plane-time-slows-heres-calculate-much/

giphy.gif

Also, someone living in Denver experiences time dilation relative to someone living at sea level due to small differences in gravitational potential.

Supposedly, the earth's core is several years younger than the earth's surface, taking the earth's 4.6 billion year age as a whole into account.

Also, someone living in Denver experiences time dilation relative to someone living at sea level due to small differences in gravitational potential.

Supposedly, the earth's core is several years younger than the earth's surface, taking the earth's 4.6 billion year age as a whole into account.

tenor.gif

So the next time a friend picking you up at the airport complains about your flight being late, tell them if they hadn’t been stuck in the past, they might have arrived at the right time.

The physics of time dilation are well established mathematically, but the bigger question to me is about our phenomenological perception of time --

is it objectively real?

Would time, free will, consciousness even exist without the second law of thermodynamics?

The physics of time dilation are well established mathematically, but the bigger question to me is about our phenomenological perception of time --

is it objectively real?

Would time, free will, consciousness even exist without the second law of thermodynamics?

If time isn't real, then how are we experiencing it? And that even barely covers free will.

If time isn't real, then how are we experiencing it? And that even barely covers free will.

If you define time in discrete increments as past, present, and future, time is real to us phenomenologically. We supposedly experience the flow of time through quantum effects.

On the flipside, the laws of physics are independent of time - implying time is not fundamental. And thermodynamics and causality theoretically may imply there is no arrow of time as we experience it phenomenologically - the past, present, and future are deterministic. At least, that is my recollection.

If you define time in discrete increments as past, present, and future, time is real to us phenomenologically. We supposedly experience the flow of time through quantum effects.

On the flipside, the laws of physics are independent of time implying time is not fundamental, and thermodynamics and causality theoretically may imply there is no arrow of time as we experience it phenomenologically - the past, present, and future are deterministic. At least, that is what I learned.

It is a fundamental paradox, indeed.

This is another reason I believe that the GR and QM cannot be reconciled.

It is a fundamental paradox, indeed.

This is another reason I believe that the GR and QM cannot be reconciled.

I am not smart enough to say whether or not a theory of everything is possible, but some physicists think string theory is a good bet to reconcile general relativity and QM. Largely because of it's mathematical elegance, not because there is any empirical data supporting it.

Quantum mechanics theorize that a wave only becomes a particle under observation. Think of time the same way, it's like taking a picture to capture an event. Time only exist when it's being observed.

On the flipside, the laws of physics are independent of time - implying time is not fundamental. And thermodynamics and causality theoretically may imply there is no arrow of time as we experience it phenomenologically - the past, present, and future are deterministic. At least, that is my recollection.
Here is the arrow of time. Note how events are captured in the strata. New physics is attempting to show that time is fundamental.

12844.jpg

Literally.

We all know that our clocks change as we cross time zones in an airplane. Did you know however that you are actually traveling a bit further into the future, relative to your friends on the ground when flying? This effect is called time dilation, predicted and later proven by Einstein’s special and general theories of relativity.

Assume you’re flying at 10,668 meters for 8 hours at roughly 1,007 kph, from true south to true north, where your friend is sitting at sea level; when you arrive, your watch will be running about 0.00504 seconds faster than theirs.

Congratulations, you are a true time traveller. ;)

https://foxnomad.com/2017/08/15/travel-plane-time-slows-heres-calculate-much/

giphy.gif
Thats not true time travel .for you it might be but its not the real deal we all think of . what your talking about is not real time travel

Quantum mechanics theorize that a wave only becomes a particle under observation. Think of time the same way, it's like taking a picture to capture an event. Time only exist when it's being observed.

Im not totally on the band wagon that time only ex8st when being observed .

Im not totally on the band wagon that time only ex8st when being observed .
Look at all the photos of you from your first birthday through today. Time captured each event. You can't go back in time and you can't go forward in time. Time is now as we observe it.

Let me guess.... you failed science class?

He brags about making it to 9th grade so no, no science classes.

This discussion started out so intelligently. And then the drooling morons, BullshitBoob and Spazskygoatowicz, showed up.

I wonder how time dilation works for those who are living on the ISS? Not only are they at an extremely high altitude (Cypress's comment about Denver versus sea level cities), but it is also traveling much faster than even a supersonic jet. Did the Kelly twin who went there age more slowly than the Kelly twin who stayed on Earth?

Back