You Decide

Annie

Not So Junior Member
the English founders, following the Spanish Conquistadors and French trappers and traders, were exploiters of Natives and made reality much worse for the indigenous folks of the Americas.

the English founders, following the Spanish Conquistadors and French trappers and traders, were exploiters of Natives and made reality much worse for the indigenous folks of the Americas.

I think a good argument could be made that the French did the Indians no favors by selling them guns and offering them bounties for English colonists scalps......

hmmmm....problem i see is:

1. who were here before the indians

2. if their right to land is superior, then that right is based on "first in time, first in right"....which is old english common law....problem for the indians is...they never recorded....

3. never recorded...oh.....ok....so they sold it...some of it....yes, they did

4. other land they lost in war....i don't see a problem with this as the indian tribes themselves fought and lost land because of war....if the tribes are going to claim land based on war, then they have lost

5. so, first in time, first in right.....ah...that is not an indian law

my two pennies on what will be a never ending discussion :)

hmmmm....problem i see is:

1. who were here before the indians

The Indians were, for all I know, the first hominid inhibators of America. Homo erectus might have made it, but they would have died out long before the indians came.

2. if their right to land is superior, then that right is based on "first in time, first in right"....which is old english common law....problem for the indians is...they never recorded....

LOL, yeah, because it's really fair to arbitrarily subject an entirely different people to a different legal system.

3. never recorded...oh.....ok....so they sold it...some of it....yes, they did

Manhattan. Not all of it.

4. other land they lost in war....i don't see a problem with this as the indian tribes themselves fought and lost land because of war....if the tribes are going to claim land based on war, then they have lost

They lost it through senseless imperialistic conquest. Which is immoral.

If I went over to Uruguay and waged a war against them with no justification, and no purpose besides taking their land and money and enslaving their women, I would soon be stopped in the modern environment. People weren't so moral back then. They allowed such murder and theft to go on.

We were positively beastly.

And then, very much in the mould of Dr Frankensteins, we had the indignity of seeing our proud creation break free and wreak havoc on the world around us. :(

I can't tell...is anyone on this thread actually defending the genocide that marked the beginning of modern America?

Americans need to take a good, long, hard look at their immigration policies. Native Americans also had loose policies and look what it cost them.

They tried to keep em out. There was too many invaders.
They kept getting pushed westward with treaties that kept getting broken.
And the Cherokees were perhaps more civilized than the invading europeans.

They should not have let us off the boat. We began to populate faster than they could.

Back