1/3 Revisited

Dixie, .999... is not the same thing as .999 or 999 or 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999. That's why it equals 1.

You sound like someone who hasn't graduated kindergarten!

What the fuck do you mean .999 is not the same as .999? What is the difference??? And what does this have to do with dividing 1, 10, 100, 1000, 1 trillion, into three equal parts with no remainder? I've been a very patient man on that, no one has been able to give me three equal values I can add together to come up with exactly 1, other than "1/3" which is not a value, but a fractional representation of value. Now... 3x4" pieces = 1 foot... three fat people can divide a pie pretty damn evenly... We can divide by three and calculate trajectories and things to put a man on the moon or send a probe to Mercury... I have never said that we can't use 1/3 or divide into thirds, or even perceive equal thirds. The only definitive statement I have ever made, is that 1 can't be divided evenly by three, a remainder is produced. That simple but true statement, has been the cause of over 5,000 posts in dozens of threads, over the course of several years now. Somehow, that simple but true mathematical fact, escapes a good many pinheads, and I really can't explain why that is. The feedback I keep comprehending, are gross misrepresentations of what I stated, and what I have argued. I don't know what we do about that, as the dude in Cool Hand Luke says... we got a fail-yha - to communicate...

You sound like someone who hasn't graduated kindergarten!

What the fuck do you mean .999 is not the same as .999? What is the difference??? And what does this have to do with dividing 1, 10, 100, 1000, 1 trillion, into three equal parts with no remainder? I've been a very patient man on that, no one has been able to give me three equal values I can add together to come up with exactly 1, other than "1/3" which is not a value, but a fractional representation of value. Now... 3x4" pieces = 1 foot... three fat people can divide a pie pretty damn evenly... We can divide by three and calculate trajectories and things to put a man on the moon or send a probe to Mercury... I have never said that we can't use 1/3 or divide into thirds, or even perceive equal thirds. The only definitive statement I have ever made, is that 1 can't be divided evenly by three, a remainder is produced. That simple but true statement, has been the cause of over 5,000 posts in dozens of threads, over the course of several years now. Somehow, that simple but true mathematical fact, escapes a good many pinheads, and I really can't explain why that is. The feedback I keep comprehending, are gross misrepresentations of what I stated, and what I have argued. I don't know what we do about that, as the dude in Cool Hand Luke says... we got a fail-yha - to communicate...

PzVZd.gif

i bet when bill oriely said "tides go in, tides go out, never a miscommuniction, you can't explain that" dixie thought it was a really good point that he brought up.

So then, 1000 people equals 999 people? If I have 1000 people and want to divide them up on 3 teams, each team will have 333 people, and the person left over doesn't really exist? Maybe that extra person is a REPUBLICAN? Maybe they belong to the TEA PARTY?

astronomer_rage.jpg

Damo, I think some confusion would have been avoided if the text on this site allowed for the _ symbol to appear over a number, instead of having to use ... to represent repeating decimal numbers.

There, now y'all can use the over tag like this:

bbcode:
1/19 = 0.[over]052631578947368421[/over]

Which will get you this:

1/19 = 0.052631578947368421

Back