15 Ways to Not Look and Act Like an Idiot American in Britain

cancel2 2022

Canceled
4643C6B1-2B95-4D55-B42D-EA072FA85D75.jpg

http://www.anglotopia.net/british-i...ok-and-act-like-an-idiot-american-in-britain/

About tipping. Is tipping your barman/maid customary? I tip very well ($1.00 per drink) normally.

About tipping. Is tipping your barman/maid customary? I tip very well ($1.00 per drink) normally.

Depends where you are, if it's a pub then you never tip as they are mostly get your own at the bar. If you are with a group of people then you usually buy rounds although I would guess that nobody would be able to keep up with you though!! In a restaurant, I personally wouldn't give them anything if the service is shit and I try as much as possible to see that the server gets it rather than the management trying to take a cut.

re: tipping, by the same token, if you brits come to america, realize you better not be a cheap stiff asshole. you better make it rain when you get here.

Most of this crap I could care less about. Why do I want to appear to be what I am not. I know the Brits don't like to wear shorts much, but I do. Why should I be hot so some fool can tell me that I don't look like an American? Why do I need to wear stupid shoes rather than the shoes I wear daily so I don't look like an American?

I see no point in trying to appear exactly like a Brit when I'm there to the point of being uncomfortable. I'm not a Brit. I'm on frickin' vacation, I'm going to act like it.

As for the language barrier, I've never had trouble with that. I did note that as I went further north the thicker the accents got, but I was able to understand it wherever I was, it is English for gawds sakes.

As for "look right", that is simple habit. It would be like telling a brit to "look left" when he was here so he wouldn't look British. Some habits are very hard to break and they are bound to make a mistake or two.

We got an umbrella in Britain.

As for the "no complaining" thing. It is stupid to say that "we love to complain, but you never should"...

I never told a cabbie where to go, I got in and told them where I needed to be.

Politics: I asked questions and listened so I could learn about Brit Politics.

Portions are smaller. What I said was, "No wonder we're all fat!"

My tip for travelers in Britain...

If you need directions do not expect somebody to see your conundrum and ask if you need help as people would do in the US, just stop somebody and ask. They seem immune to the "help" gene we've bred here in the US that makes us stop and ask if you need help if we have the time and the ability.

whats that have to do with with the content of my post? you are very stupid individual sometimes.

So why am I so stupid according to you? I have been to the US several times and I know about the tipping culture. So I asked if you've ever been to Europe and you chose to obfuscate instead!!

Last edited:
Most of this crap I could care less about. Why do I want to appear to be what I am not. I know the Brits don't like to wear shorts much, but I do. Why should I be hot so some fool can tell me that I don't look like an American? Why do I need to wear stupid shoes rather than the shoes I wear daily so I don't look like an American?

I see no point in trying to appear exactly like a Brit when I'm there to the point of being uncomfortable. I'm not a Brit. I'm on frickin' vacation, I'm going to act like it.

As for the language barrier, I've never had trouble with that. I did note that as I went further north the thicker the accents got, but I was able to understand it wherever I was, it is English for gawds sakes.

As for "look right", that is simple habit. It would be like telling a brit to "look left" when he was here so he wouldn't look British. Some habits are very hard to break and they are bound to make a mistake or two.

As for the "no complaining" thing. It is stupid to say that "we love to complain, but you never should"...

If you need directions do not expect somebody to see your conundrum and ask if you need help as people would do in the US, just stop somebody and ask. They seem immune to the "help" gene we've bred here in the US that makes us stop and ask if you need help if we have the time and the ability.

I really hate, with a vengeance, the "I could care less" idiom. I respect you, as an erstwhile intelligent person, so I frankly cannot understand why you would want to use such a paradoxical phrase?

So why am I so stupid according to you? I have been to the US several times and I know about the tipping culture. So I asked if you've ever been to Europe and you chose to obfuscate instead!!

me being to europe or not is completely irrelevant to the post of mine that you quoted.

Depends where you are, if it's a pub then you never tip as they are mostly get your own at the bar. If you are with a group of people then you usually buy rounds although I would guess that nobody would be able to keep up with you though!! In a restaurant, I personally wouldn't give them anything if the service is shit and I try as much as possible to see that the server gets it rather than the management trying to take a cut.

So, no, do not tip the barmaid/man. That'd be difficult. It gets me the best service in the house.

Nike's and other "gym shoes" are just the shoes you wear when you're not dealing with special circumstances (for instance, formal wear, or if you need to wear boots for a job). I literally do not have any other shoes besides dress shoes and sandals. I wouldn't even know what else to get. If it really matters so much to you, I don't give a fuck.

I really hate, with a vengeance, the "I could care less" idiom. I respect you, as an erstwhile intelligent person, so I frankly cannot understand why you would want to use such a paradoxical phrase?

True. I should have said I can't care any less... but I was posting an annoying "who cares" post for a Brit and they find it annoying. It worked.

This dude's list sucks...

It should say something like, "Crap here is really old, I don't care if you live near the Alamo... Unless you are talking about Native American relics there is nothing, and I really do mean nothing at all, that is as old as some of the stuff in Britain, so don't bother going on about how your stuff is "bigger"... Those cathedrals are amazing considering the tools they had to work with in 1072..."

Or. Nobody cares if you have a bigger one in Texas, so shut up.

But, "Don't complain even though you'll hear us doing it constantly because we don't want to be reminded of our soggy Rail Station sandwiches and how wet it is, unless we are doing it ourselves." Is useless.

And the "Dress uncomfortably or people will think you aren't a Brit."... Also not helpful. I'm not, and I don't care if they think I'm not.

I mean, it's not like people go out of their way to go and buy these shoes just to travel Britian. Those are the shoes you wear in normal circumstances. Does your entire country go around walking in penny loafers and boots for no reason? God, I feel sorry for you.

Why should we be interested that you CAN care less about something. If you CAN care less, then do it, care less.
Although, to be honest, I couldn't care less what you say or do.

In defence of Americans I will say the Americans who come here (HK) are not the same breed generally speaking. They mostly come on business and are extremely respectful of the local population. American tourists arrive in their plane loads, are packed onto tour buses, trundled around for, on average, three days and then stuffed pack on planes to do the same thing in Singapore or Bangkok. So we don't see them in their shorts and their golfing (Rupert Bear) trousers.
Its for the best, I think.

Why should we be interested that you CAN care less about something. If you CAN care less, then do it, care less.
Although, to be honest, I couldn't care less what you say or do.

In defence of Americans I will say the Americans who come here (HK) are not the same breed generally speaking. They mostly come on business and are extremely respectful of the local population. American tourists arrive in their plane loads, are packed onto tour buses, trundled around for, on average, three days and then stuffed pack on planes to do the same thing in Singapore or Bangkok. So we don't see them in their shorts and their golfing (Rupert Bear) trousers.
Its for the best, I think.

Why the British should care that people from a different place dress and act a bit differently than they do is beyond me anyway. And as I said before. Yeah. I know what I "should have" said, the point was to annoy... It worked.

Nobody that I know in the US cares if somebody from Britlandia dresses uncomfortably because they are a Brit, or if an Arab is wearing robes, or if you have a sombrero or cowboy hat for that matter... Why somebody from Britain should get all stuffy because I wear shorts year round (yes even in below freezing weather) and write an article about how I shouldn't be comfortable or they might think I'm not a Brit? That just makes no frickin' sense to me.

I'm not a Brit, I'm there to learn about them and their nice place, not be one..

Why the British should care that people from a different place dress and act a bit differently than they do is beyond me anyway. And as I said before. Yeah. I know what I "should have" said, the point was to annoy... It worked.

Nobody that I know in the US cares if somebody from Britlandia dresses uncomfortably because they are a Brit, or if an Arab is wearing robes, or if you have a sombrero or cowboy hat for that matter... Why somebody from Britain should get all stuffy because I wear shorts year round (yes even in below freezing weather) and write an article about how I shouldn't be comfortable or they might think I'm not a Brit? That just makes no frickin' sense to me.

I'm not a Brit, I'm there to learn about them and their nice place, not be one..

It's not about behaving differently, it's about respecting the people who open their country to you. If you wish to be treated as a figure of fun and to have doors closed to you (metaphorical usage) then wear your silly hats. But the wearing of a golf hat doesnt mean that anyone will believe you even own a golf bat.

It's not about behaving differently, it's about respecting the people who open their country to you. If you wish to be treated as a figure of fun and to have doors closed to you (metaphorical usage) then wear your silly hats. But the wearing of a golf hat doesnt mean that anyone will believe you even own a golf bat.

So if I wear a cowboy hat in the UK people will close their doors to me? That sounds a bit rude and intolerant.

Back