15-year-old Girl Starts Caucasian Club at her High School

No, I'm not a racist. I had a white boyfriend once.

Bit of a shocking thing to say Darla...

Like me saying "I'm not racist, I have a black friend"...

Last edited:
I have a problem with this girl starting a club based on something as irrational as race, but then I have a problem with a club based on African race, or Arab.

No, I'm not a racist. I had a white boyfriend once.

Bit of a shocking thing to say Darla...

Like me saying "I'm not racist, I have a black friend"...

Yes, it is like that.

It's a sad day when only Damo gets my humor. Him having such a thick head and all.

It's a sad day when only Damo gets my humor. Him having such a thick head and all.

Ah, Mea Culpa. I have a sense of humour failure when I'm stuck in the office....

It's ok. I get that, mine dies as soon as I walk through my office door.

:D Especially in my office, it's public sector so it's a crap-shack...

In english literature we read black literature too. In history we learned plenty about slavery and the civil rights movement. And rock n roll and jazz were just as influenced, if not more so, by african americans.

So your point is?

My point is two-fold. One you originally said:

I'm an anglo mutt and I know very little of any of my heritage...

What's so wrong with giving anglos a club in which they can discuss their ancestory?

And your answer shows that you do in fact know very little about your heritage, which whether you want to believe it or not, is, since you grew up in America, all those things I asked about and more. But most importantly your heritage is not just "anglo" it is English, German, French, Spanish, American and African and whatever the "mutt" refers to here, which could include nearly every country in the world by now. Although some of those influences are small and some others maybe still non-existant in the broader culture. I'm especially concerned about your claims that in English literature we read black literature too. Notice any differences in the two literatures??? What did you learn about black culture reading them like this. You say you learned plenty about "slavery and the civil rights movement" in history class. Was that the total of your engagement with Black contributiuons to American history??? Did you learn anything about Black people in this country in the period between 1865 and 1955 or so? Can you answer one simple question: Why does Rayford Logan refer to the period between 1876 and 1920 as "the nadir" of Black people in America? More importantly why wasn't this serious ly wicked period in Black history included in your white American history class???

But your most troubling statement is the last one:

And rock n roll and jazz were just as influenced, if not more so, by african americans.

This is completely wrong. While these are widely considered American art forms, they were in fact, like Hip Hop, created and played by people of African Heritage in America. They are perhaps the greatest contributions that the Black population contributed to the America. And you think that they were influenced by African Americans. No they were given by African Americans. Further I would offer that without the blues which is the root of all this rock 'n roll, and jazz there would have been none of either. What does rock 'n roll refer to anyway? Care to guess???

To attempt to answer your question about the wrongness of the anglo club adequately would take hours. I will just say this:

Most of what you learn and all of what I learned in school was white pure and simple, white. So white that we don't even know it is white. We lose track of how white it is because it is so natural for it to be white. And in that forgetting we forget that we are learning our whiteness and haveg our whiteness reimpressed and renaturalized upon us at the expense of those others who aren't white. We forget that the country was never white. But a white only club isn't going to teach us anything about that. It is only going to increase that mistaken perspective. That is the first thing that all white people should learn is the naturalness of being white and how that occus and the effect that this naturalness has on white people themselves. How did you become a white person, and what does that mean? How did America become a white country and what does that mean? And then begin to try and understand what that naturalness means to white people in real terms in their practical approach to life and the other people they meet daily who are not white.

White people claim to have discovered this land, but they quickly forgot the indigenous populations which in genocide they eventually killed and displaced. And as white people continued their genocide they brought slaves from Africa to work their lands and harvest their crops. They then founded this country on the dead bodies of that genocide and the backs and labor of those slaves. Then white people ruled this country and white people still for the most part rule this country. What does this mean about power and who has it and where it comes from. If you define racial prejudice simply as hating other groups of people based on skin color then you have racial prejudice nearly everywhere in all groups; but if you define racial prejudice as more than just hate but having the power to do something about that feeling, then you have another situation entirely. In short, America is still a white country, as the reaction to the illegal immigrant situation shows. And nativism is still alive and well, and whiteness is stillbeing naturalized. Think about it.

Back