21 lottery winners who blew it all

Can't you join a boating or yacht club, keep it moored at the club's marina, and have it regularly serviced, though?

Yeah, but that's just not worth it to me. I used to work for a company that did that stuff if you remember. We charged out the ass because we knew the boat owners didn't want to do it themselves.

I guess it's called the rat race for a reason. You hear people say if I made a little more money I wouldn't have financial problems but when that person makes more money they want a better car or bigger house etc. and they are basically in the same financial struggle to meet all their bills.

Do the British really have unusually bad teeth? Are they any worse than American chompers? Here’s one statistic: In the past year, about seven in 10 people in Britain visited a dentist, according to the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD). Only four in 10 Americans did the same.

Americans might say Brits are at the dentist so often because they have to spend more time dealing with their crooked, decaying teeth — those extra visits are proof the damaged teeth of serial tea drinkers need more regular attention. Not necessarily. If you’re a proud Brit, more frequent dental visits may simply be proof that you take better care of your teeth.

There’s a better way to settle this: data on tooth decay (that stuff that you get after plaque builds up and before you enter a world of pain). According to the OECD (so we’re only considering developed countries), 28 percent of adults in England have tooth decay. Compare that to a jaw-dropping 92 percent of adults in America with tooth decay. The British should be smiling. 1-0 U.K.

A lower amount of decay means you’re more likely to keep your teeth. Sure enough, British mouths, on average, have almost a whole extra tooth compared to U.S. mouths. (I know, but you should wait until you get home to count them.) 2-0 U.K.

Dental historians, if we could find any, would say these results aren’t surprising. In the U.K. the National Health Service pays for “all clinically necessary treatment” and even non-necessary treatment is heavily subsidized. America’s dental problem started early: George Washington had just one tooth by the time he became president.

One final note. This Trans-Pacific spat obscures the real country of dental interest: Japan, so strong with it's the obsession with dental hygiene that the Japanese not only visit their dentists more than people in any other country (3.2 times every year), but they’ve also filmed and uploaded thousands of videos about hamigaki, the art of teaching children how to brush. Will there be a huge queue for dental treatment in Cuba, don't be stupid

Last edited:
Do the British really have unusually bad teeth? Are they any worse than American chompers? Here’s one statistic: In the past year, about seven in 10 people in Britain visited a dentist, according to the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD). Only four in 10 Americans did the same.

Americans might say Brits are at the dentist so often because they have to spend more time dealing with their crooked, decaying teeth — those extra visits are proof the damaged teeth of serial tea drinkers need more regular attention. Not necessarily. If you’re a proud Brit, more frequent dental visits may simply be proof that you take better care of your teeth.

There’s a better way to settle this: data on tooth decay (that stuff that you get after plaque builds up and before you enter a world of pain). According to the OECD (so we’re only considering developed countries), 28 percent of adults in England have tooth decay. Compare that to a jaw-dropping 92 percent of adults in America with tooth decay. The British should be smiling. 1-0 U.K.

A lower amount of decay means you’re more likely to keep your teeth. Sure enough, British mouths, on average, have almost a whole extra tooth compared to U.S. mouths. (I know, but you should wait until you get home to count them.) 2-0 U.K.
Dental historians, if we could find any, would say these results aren’t surprising. In the U.K. the National Health Service pays for “all clinically necessary treatment” and even non-necessary treatment is heavily subsidized. And America’s dental problem started early: George Washington had just one tooth by the time he became president.

One final note. This trans-Atlantic spat obscures the real country of dental interest: Japan. So strong is the obsession with dental hygiene that the Japanese not only visit their dentists more than people in any other country (3.2 times every year), but they’ve also filmed and uploaded thousands of videos about hamigaki, the art of teaching children how to brush.

You lost me on this one. Is there a connection between what I wrote and teeth?

Yea a guy I went to high school with had parents who owned a small business and had a significant net worth and a decent life insurance policy. When he was 19 they were killed in an automobile accident. He was their only child and inherited around $1 million. He blew threw that in about two years of partying. Some people were never intended to be rich.

I'm probably going to play the powerball this weekend cause like who can resist...but the actual thought of winning that much money is really kind of scary. Any intelligent person would understand that from then on a large part of your life will be consumed by managing that money. Those who don't....will get crushed by it or lose it fairly quickly.

If I won I'd probably go on a small spending spree but probably within my modest middle class frame of reference but my first impulse would be to stash it someplace safe until I can get my self up to speed on managing that kind of money. With this kind of money I'd probably make some charitable contributions. Probably endowments to some educational institutions in my will. Don't really know what I'd do from there.

I read an interesting article recently, I'll see if I can find it, but the theme of the article was that money could only buy happiness up to around $75,000 a year and that above that the money became a concern in regards to managing it.

God, I once read this guy on reddit who spent 750k of his million dollar inheritance daytrading with bitcoin. This was during a period when bitcoin's value increased by like 700%, mind you - he invested like an idiot, he'd go all in with hundreds of thousands of dollars, then jump ship and pull out when the market turned sour. Rinse and repeat. Bitcoin was always a shady investment and it's a stupid idea to put 100% of your assets into anything.

What's worse is that he had a little sister, who was rightfully owed half of the inheritance, and he was now gambling on bitcoin with her half of the money (having spent his half) because she was a minor and couldn't inherit it and speak in her name yet. Just disgusting. And he had no plans to stop, he was seriously planning to continue dumping money into bitcoin and then running as soon as the market panicked until he had no money left.

I seriously hope that guy is dead right now.

God, I once read this guy on reddit who spent 750k of his million dollar inheritance daytrading with bitcoin. This was during a period when bitcoin's value increased by like 700%, mind you - he invested like an idiot, he'd go all in with hundreds of thousands of dollars, then jump ship and pull out when the market turned sour. Rinse and repeat. Bitcoin was always a shady investment and it's a stupid idea to put 100% of your assets into anything.

What's worse is that he had a little sister, who was rightfully owed half of the inheritance, and he was now gambling on bitcoin with her half of the money (having spent his half) because she was a minor and couldn't inherit it and speak in her name yet. Just disgusting. And he had no plans to stop, he was seriously planning to continue dumping money into bitcoin and then running as soon as the market panicked until he had no money left.

I seriously hope that guy is dead right now.
Well if I know women....and I do know women....his sister probably killed him.

Back