4 year old joins mensa

This is very cool!!

In terms of IQ - my understanding is we are each born with a range - which does not vary by race; there is no difference genetically among races, we're all human - and that our environment helps us maximize - or not - our IQ

Desh said that "brain capacity is inherited for the most part" which, to me anyway, means that she is saying nurture and environment have little to do with it.

she said "most" and she said

Sounds like she & I agree.

She only qualified the original statement when I pointed out that white supremacists say much the same thing. Anyway, what does 'most' mean? What ratio is nature against nurture, 70:30, 80:20? I don't suppose that you've heard of Hans Eysenck.

By far the most acrimonious of the debates has been that over the role of genetics in IQ differences, which led to Eysenck being punched on the nose by a female protestor during a talk at the London School of Economics,[SUP][14][/SUP] as well as bomb threats, and threats to kill his young children.[SUP][15][/SUP] This opposition came when he supported Arthur Jensen's questioning of whether variation in IQ between racial groups was entirely environmental. (see race and intelligence).[SUP][16][/SUP]

Eysenck thought the media gave the misleading impression that his views were those of a maverick outside the mainstream scientific consensus and cited The IQ Controversy, the Media and Public Policy as showing that there was majority support for every single one of the main contentions he had put forward, further asserting that the idea there was any real debate about the matter among the relevant scientists was incorrect.[SUP][17][/SUP][SUP][18][/SUP]
In the context of this controversy, S.A. Barnett describes Eysenck as a "prolific popularizer" and exemplifies Eysenck's writings on this topic with two passages from his early 1970s books:[SUP][19]
[/SUP]
All the evidence to date suggests the . . . overwhelming importance of genetic factors in producing the great variety of intellectual differences which we observe in our culture, and much of the difference observed between certain racial groups.
—HJ Eysenck, Race, Intelligence and Education, 1971, London: Temple Smith, p. 130
the whole course of development of a child's intellectual capabilities is largely laid down genetically, and even extreme environmental changes . . . have little power to alter this development.
—HJ Eysenck, The Inequality of Man, 1973, London: Temple Smith, pp. 111-12
Barnett quotes additional criticism of Race, Intelligence and Education from Sandra Scarr-Salapatek,[SUP][19][/SUP] who wrote in 1976 that Eysenck's book was "generally inflammatory"[SUP][20][/SUP] and that there "is something in this book to insult almost everyone except WASPs and Jews."[SUP][21][/SUP] Scarr was equally critical of Eysenck's hypotheses; one of which was Eysenck's supposition that slavery on plantations had selected African Americans as a less intelligent sub-sample of Africans.[SUP][22][/SUP] Scarr also criticized another statement of Eysenck on the alleged significantly lower IQs of Italian, Spanish, Portuguese and Greek immigrants in the US relative to the populations in their country of origin. "Although Eysenck is careful to say that these are not established facts (because no IQ tests were given to the immigrants or nonimmigrants in question?"[SUP][22][/SUP] Scarr writes that the careful reader would conclude that "Eysenck admits that scientific evidence to date does not permit a clear choice of the genetic-differences interpretation of black inferiority on intelligence tests," whereas a "quick reading of the book, however, is sure to leave the reader believing that scientific evidence today strongly supports the conclusion that US blacks are genetically inferior to whites in IQ."[SUP][22][/SUP]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Eysenck

Honestly, what is up with posters??

This is very cool that a 4 yr old girl got into Mensa; she seems like a bright, well-adjusted kid. Yea for her!

I bet she will do great things.

time for this country to go by best and brightest instead of rich and whitest

How many GREAT minds did this country lose to racism?

we will never know just how deep the scars of slavery really are

Back