40 most powerful photographs

http://www.buzzfeed.com/expresident/most-powerful-photographs-ever-taken

There are a few missing that I would add to this list. Like the monk burning himself and the naked girl running away from the battle in Vietnam. The sailor kissing the girl on VDay is another. The firefighter holding the childs body and crying at the OK City bombing always gets me.

But there are some very powerful photos in this list.
The black kids in Birmingham getting fire hosed by Bull Conners goons was also a very powerful image. That image played a big role in passing the 1964 Civil Rights act. I'd also say the two photo set of Mai Lai of the villagers. One when they were alive and the next when they were executed. Then there's the photo of the VC POW being shot in the head in Saigan after the assualt on the US Embassy.

Birmingham-fire-hoses.jpg

Nguyen.jpg

http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/history/news-my-lai-massacre-pictures?image=3

http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/history/news-my-lai-massacre-pictures?image=0

The black kids in Birmingham getting fire hosed by Bull Conners goons was also a very powerful image. That image played a big role in passing the 1964 Civil Rights act. I'd also say the two photo set of Mai Lai of the villagers. One when they were alive and the next when they were executed. Then there's the photo of the VC POW being shot in the head in Saigan after the assualt on the US Embassy.

Birmingham-fire-hoses.jpg

Nguyen.jpg

http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/history/news-my-lai-massacre-pictures?image=3

http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/history/news-my-lai-massacre-pictures?image=0

Yeah I'd say any/all of those should have replaced some of the dog shots.

Yeah I'd say any/all of those should have replaced some of the dog shots.
To me what was really so powerful about the Mai Lai image (the second one) is the young woman to the far upper right hand of the photo. She was pulled apart from the rest of the villagers, watched them being executed, then was walked up to that position where she lies in the photo and was gang raped, executed and then just left lying there with her cloths mostly pulled off. Can you imagine that poor young girl. All that was going through her head? The horror of seeing her friends and family members murdered. The terror of knowing they were going to rape and kill her, the grief and anguish she must have felt when she realized her fate and then the final degredation and humiliation to her person before the end of life. There is more atrocity and violence and inhumanity in the image of that one poor young woman then in the entire mound of bodies. How sad.

Because he was inhuman.

He said it was because he thought the picture would bring the world's attention to the ongoing disaster, since this happens every day. He also committed suicide afterwards.

I don't agree with his decision, but you should present the proper information.

we aren't monsters for not giving a fuck. it's impossible to truly care about 7 billion people. we are hardwired to care about our local communities.

He said it was because he thought the picture would bring the world's attention to the ongoing disaster, since this happens every day. He also committed suicide afterwards.

I don't agree with his decision, but you should present the proper information.

I gave the link to the story, it isn't like I didn't provide the information. There is zero chance that I would spend 20 minutes staging the photo (as he described) and not pick that child up after, at the very least, to take here where she was trying to go and give her some of my food and water on the way. None, zero. I could not leave her whether it happens "every day" or not. The man was inhuman, his camera became a barrier to his humanity. That he later committed suicide because so many found him pariah doesn't change that in my mind at all.

I could not be him and call myself human.

I gave the link to the story, it isn't like I didn't provide the information. There is zero chance that I would spend 20 minutes staging the photo (as he described) and not pick that child up after, at the very least, to take here where she was trying to go and give her some of my food and water on the way. None, zero. I could not leave her whether it happens "every day" or not. The man was inhuman, his camera became a barrier to his humanity. That he later committed suicide because so many found him pariah doesn't change that in my mind at all.

I could not be him and call myself human.

She was moments from death. He couldn't have saved her anyway. I couldn't have done it either, but I am being rational rather than emotional...only because I know this is happening right now, again, as we speak.

And Damo you don't know why he committed suicide. He could have committed suicide because he was haunted by this moment. That seems most likely to me, but we'll never know.

Here is the story of that picture and the subsequent events.

Johannesburg - Kevin Carter, the South African photographer whose image of a starving Sudanese toddler stalked by a vulture won him a Pulitzer Prize this year, was found dead on Wednesday night, apparently a suicide, police said yesterday. He was 33. The police said Mr Carter's body and several letters to friends and family were discovered in his pick-up truck, parked in a Johannesburg suburb. An inquest showed that he had died of carbon monoxide poisoning. Mr Carter started as a sports photographer in 1983 but soon moved to the front lines of South African political strife, recording images of repression, anti-apartheid protest and fratricidal violence. A few davs after winning his Pulitzer Prize in April, Mr Carter was nearby when one of his closest friends and professional companions, Ken Oosterbroek, was shot dead photographing a gun battle in Tokoza township.
Friends said Mr Carter was a man of tumultuous emotions which brought passion to his work but also drove him to extremes of elation and depression. Last year, saying he needed a break from South Africa's turmoil, he paid his own way to the southern Sudan to photograph a civil war and famine that he felt the world was overlooking.
His picture of an emaciated girl collapsing on the way to a feeding centre, as a plump vulture lurked in the background, was published first in The New York Times and The Mail & Guardian, a Johannesburg weekly. The reaction to the picture was so strong that The New York Times published an unusual editor's note on the fate of the girl. Mr Carter said she resumed her trek to the feeding centre. He chased away the vulture.
Afterwards, he told an interviewer, he sat under a tree for a long time, "smoking cigarettes and crying". His father, Mr Jimmy Carter laid last night: "Kevin always carried around the horror of the work he did." - The New York Times
Source: Sydney Morning Herald Saturday 30 July 1994

http://flatrock.org.nz/topics/odds_and_oddities/ultimate_in_unfair.htm

Back