A Dixie Poll

Is Dixie's Avatar Patriotic?

• Total voters
You can dis all you like, it's a free country. I proudly fly the confederate flag in honor of my two great-great uncles who fought and died under that flag, and I am sorry you don't have the decency to allow people to honor their fallen soldiers in battle, in particular, AMERICANS.

I’m sorry to hear that your relatives were traitors who not only fought and tried to kill American soldiers who were fighting under the Flag of the United States; but that your relatives willingly and knowingly fought to preserve a system of slavery, oppression, and servitude of African-Americans.

Shameful. Your Rebel relatives are a disgrace, and your honoring of them is quite simply abhorrent.

Here’s what your relatives were fighting for, and what you honor:

"Declarations of Secession of Southern States", Which Outline the Reasons for their Rebellion (aka, they loved having black slaves):

Opening paragraph, Mississippi Declaration of Secession:

Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery-- the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth. These products are peculiar to the climate verging on the tropical regions, and by an imperious law of nature, none but the black race can bear exposure to the tropical sun.

That we do not overstate the dangers to our institution, a reference to a few facts will sufficiently prove.

The hostility to this institution commenced before the adoption of the Constitution, and was manifested in the well-known Ordinance of 1787, in regard to the Northwestern Territory….

It has grown until it denies the right of property in slaves, and refuses protection to that right on the high seas, in the Territories, and wherever the government of the United States had jurisdiction.

It refuses the admission of new slave States into the Union, and seeks to extinguish it by confining it within its present limits, denying the power of expansion.

It tramples the original equality of the South under foot.

It has nullified the Fugitive Slave Law in almost every free State in the Union, and has utterly broken the compact, which our fathers pledged their faith to maintain.

It advocates negro equality, socially and politically, and promotes insurrection and incendiarism in our midst.

Our decision is made. We follow their footsteps. We embrace the alternative of separation; and for the reasons here stated, we resolve to maintain our rights with the full consciousness of the justice of our course, and the undoubting belief of our ability to maintain it.

From the Texas Declaration of Secession:

Texas abandoned her separate national existence and consented to become one of the Confederated Union...She was received into the confederacy...as a commonwealth holding, maintaining and protecting the institution known as negro slavery-- the servitude of the African to the white race within her limits-- a relation that had existed from the first settlement of her wilderness by the white race, and which her people intended should exist in all future time.

In all the non-slave-holding States...the people have formed themselves into a great sectional party...based upon an unnatural feeling of hostility to these Southern States and their beneficent and patriarchal system of African slavery, proclaiming the debasing doctrine of equality of all men, irrespective of race or color—a doctrine at war with nature, in opposition to the experience of mankind, and in violation of the plainest revelations of Divine Law. They demand the abolition of negro slavery throughout the confederacy, the recognition of political equality between the white and negro races, and avow their determination to press on their crusade against us, so long as a negro slave remains in these States

...all white men are and of right ought to be entitled to equal civil and political rights; that the servitude of the African race, as existing in these States, is mutually beneficial to both bond and free, and is abundantly authorized and justified by the experience of mankind, and the revealed will of the Almighty Creator, as recognized by all Christian nations...

From the South Carolina Declaration of Secession:

We affirm that these ends for which this Government was instituted have been defeated, and the Government itself has been made destructive of them by the action of the non-slaveholding States. Those States have assume the right of deciding upon the propriety of our domestic institutions; and have denied the rights of property established in fifteen of the States and recognized by the Constitution; they have denounced as sinful the institution of slavery; they have permitted open establishment among them of societies, whose avowed object is to disturb the peace and to eloign the property of the citizens of other States. They have encouraged and assisted thousands of our slaves to leave their homes; and those who remain, have been incited by emissaries, books and pictures to servile insurrection.

I could post a link to their tombstones which are posted online, but since we share the same last name, and I value my privacy here, I can't do that.

The Confederate Stars and Bars were hijacked by white supremacy groups and has been used as a symbol of hate and intolerance for years, I have acknowledged that, and I understand that some people find the flag offensive because of this association, but it's important to remember that was not the original intent of the flag, nor what it once stood for. To me, it is a commemorative symbol, and I am committed to preserving the original historic symbolism over the perverted stereotype it has become.

I have found, in using it on a forum like this, it tends to reveal people who have a very bigoted and stereotypical viewpoint about other people in general, and in particular, Southerners. I find it gratifying that I can bring out their bigoted stereotypical viewpoint without saying a single word. If I were coming here spewing white supremacist bullshit, and denigrating black people, it would be understandable for people to take offense with my use of the flag, and question my expressed intent. But you will not find one thing I have ever posted that advocated or supported white supremacy, racism, or suggesting racial inferiority of any kind.

You could say the same about the swastika, which has a long history as a good luck symbol before the Nazis adopted it in the 1920s. However to many people, the confederate flag is symbolic of an era where there was widespread persecution of black people.

Last edited:
I’m sorry to hear that your relatives were traitors who not only fought and tried to kill American soldiers who were fighting under the Flag of the United States; but that your relatives willingly and knowingly fought to preserve a system of slavery, oppression, and servitude of African-Americans.

Shameful. Your Rebel relatives are a disgrace, and your honoring of them is quite simply abhorrent.

Here’s what your relatives were fighting for, and what you honor:
I don't know how many times I have pointed this out on this site. EVERY SINGLE document of secession had as its core reason the institution of slavery. The other thing I don't understand is why southerners choose the confederate battle flag as their standard?

This:
starbar.jpg

Is the national flag of the confederacy. It is also the flag properly knows as the "Stars and Bars". The flag that is represented on Dixie's avatar, with the stars on the St. Andrew's Cross is properly knows as the Battle Flag of Northern Virginia. The national flag of the confederacy was created because there was still a feeling, among many southerners, of allegiance to the US flag, so they wanted something that was "like" the US flag but different. It is called the "Stars and Bars" to differentiate it from the "Stars and Stripes"

I don't know how many times I have pointed this out on this site. EVERY SINGLE document of secession had as its core reason the institution of slavery. The other thing I don't understand is why southerners choose the confederate battle flag as their standard?

This:
starbar.jpg

Is the national flag of the confederacy. It is also the flag properly knows as the "Stars and Bars". The flag that is represented on Dixie's avatar, with the stars on the St. Andrew's Cross is properly knows as the Battle Flag of Northern Virginia. The national flag of the confederacy was created because there was still a feeling, among many southerners, of allegiance to the US flag, so they wanted something that was "like" the US flag but different. It is called the "Stars and Bars" to differentiate it from the "Stars and Stripes"

I know man. Dixie, like millions of other NeoConfederates, have willfully engaged for decades in historical revisionism; i.e. trying to perpetrate a myth that the confederates weren't fighting for the institution of slavery.

I have a feeling that in all the NeoConfederate websites Dixie visits, not one single time did he ever run across or read the documents of secession. Which, as you say, all clearly state or indicate that they were intensely fearful of the institution of slavery being undermined by the North, and ultimately being dismantled. They loved their slaves, they loved their free labor, and presumably they loved being able to rape the black female slaves with impunity.

The fact that Dixie doesn't know his relatives were willingly and knowingly were fighting for the institution of slavery speaks volumes.

Either he's never read the Documents of Secession, or he's a pathological liar engaged in disingenuous historical revisionism.

ps, good call on the flag. The Confederate battle flag dixie parades around with is a disgrace.

All this being said, I do and would defend his right to post that flag anywhere he sees fit, to wear it on his body and to carry it in a peaceful manner. Flags are mere pieces of cloth, invented to rally troops in battle. I personally do not care for the confederate flag any more than I care for the Nazi flag, or the Union Jack. All flags that have suffered defeat at the hands of the US. But if you like collecting losing flags, the Battle Flag of Northern Virginia is a nifty one.

You can dis all you like, it's a free country. I proudly fly the confederate flag in honor of my two great-great uncles who fought and died under that flag, and I am sorry you don't have the decency to allow people to honor their fallen soldiers in battle, in particular, AMERICANS.

No, I do not believe fallen soldiers should be honored if they die fighting for the wrong side. If I were president I would put a stop to the American presidency honoring fallen traitors, because it is discraceful. At least your ancestors had the decency to die fighting for the cause, rather than to survive it.

Dixie must be 140, I'm old and my great Uncle fought in WWII.

Not really. I'm much younger than you and I had a great uncle who served in WWII. My family on both sides has huge generation gaps, to the extent that there is literally only one Gen Xer that is a close relative of mine. And Dixie said great-great...

Except your two great-great uncles died in a war against the USA.

Except your two great-great uncles died in a war against the USA.

Precisely. Only US Americans are accorded the title "American." All other Americans are variously referred to as Canadians, Mexicans, Columbians, Chileans, etc. Soldiers of the CSA would be Confederates.

The Civil War wasn't really fought on the issue of emancipation of blacks indeed Lincoln, at least initially, was against it. It was more about preventing the South from breaking away from the Union.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aia/part4/4p2967.html

Yes, that is why mainstream Unionists supported the war. The war came about, however, because the South couldn't stomach criticism of slavery or the idea that the West might become a bastion of free states that would, in time, constitute a supermajority against slavery. Thus the war.

That's southern revisionism.
No it's not. Lincoln didn't emancipate at the outset of the war and the only slaves he declared free were slaves he had no authority over. The war, for the north's part, was all about not letting the country divided. For southerners it was all about chasing the north back north. Secession is all about slavery.

Lincoln was always against slavery. He just lied about it initially because he didn't think the dream would ever be realized and it seemed to be a radical proposition.

All southerners should've been executed after the war and we should have repopulated the area with decent human beings. Go fuck yourselves.

jesus_flipping_you_off.jpg

if that's the case lincoln could have just said at the start "fine we will allow slavery in the south" and avoided war O_o
As Threedee pointed it, it was worried that slavery would not be instituted in the new territories, thus creating a majority of sates against slavery. Further the sessions started before Lincolns inauguration, so it didn't matter a damn what he said.

if that's the case lincoln could have just said at the start "fine we will allow slavery in the south" and avoided war O_o

He did say that but it didn't make any difference.

In his inaugural address, delivered on March 4, 1861, Lincoln proclaimed that it was his duty to maintain the Union. He also declared that he had no intention of ending slavery where it existed, or of repealing the Fugitive Slave Law -- a position that horrified African Americans and their white allies. Lincoln's statement, however, did not satisfy the Confederacy, and on April 12 they attacked Fort Sumter, a federal stronghold in Charleston, South Carolina. Federal troops returned the fire. The Civil War had begun.

Back