A little diddy: Voltage

holy shat....it was tongue in cheek

the volt didn't hog the left lane, it got over, but that would have been a BORING story.

This illustrates the importance of even anectdotal acuracy. Your minor embellishment was enough to trip Brent into complete and utter disdain of a CAR.

Yep.
The real trick is determining which states will pull you over for being a resident, versus which states target visitors.
Or you can be like me, and not give a fuck, because I'm passing AND cruising in the left lane. Also, driving a cop car helps.

I suppose this another example of States's Rights?

It's hard to organize the states to do anything collectively. Mostly, some important member of their legislator just says "Oh, our left lane law should be X", and that proceeds in a haphazard fashion until we're here. Of course, the feds have, in the past 25 years, adopted a tactic of threatening to revoke funding unless the states pass some piece of legislation or another. But it's such a blatant violation of state sovereignty that they've usually only done so in "Think of the children!" issues, like the drinking age and sex offender laws.

Really, the US is so huge now you could compare us to the European Union anyway*, and while it would make sense for California or the UK to pass one law that's mandatory for their entire jurisdiction, it would be a lot more controversial the EU or the US feds to do the same thing. And I doubt you would ever support giving the EU parliament power enough to do so, so it's not surprising that the US finds this difficult to organize.

*Of course, EU countries typically have thousands of years of history, there are less of them, and there are five EU countries bigger than any state - very minor differences, obviously.

It's hard to organize the states to do anything collectively. Mostly, some important member of their legislator just says "Oh, our left lane law should be X", and that proceeds in a haphazard fashion until we're here. Of course, the feds have, in the past 25 years, adopted a tactic of threatening to revoke funding unless the states pass some piece of legislation or another. But it's such a blatant violation of state sovereignty that they've usually only done so in "Think of the children!" issues, like the drinking age and sex offender laws.

Really, the US is so huge now you could compare us to the European Union anyway*, and while it would make sense for California or the UK to pass one law that's mandatory for their entire jurisdiction, it would be a lot more controversial the EU or the US feds to do the same thing. And I doubt you would ever support giving the EU parliament power enough to do so, so it's not surprising that the US finds this difficult to organize.

*Of course, EU countries typically have thousands of years of history, there are less of them, and there are five EU countries bigger than any state - very minor differences, obviously.

If the EU legislated on sensible things then most people would support them, unfortunately they prefer to concentrate on issues that are decided by unelected bureaucrats in Brussels. Here is an excellent example of the rubbish that comes out of Brussels. Notice that I've picked an example from a non-UK source. It is just fucking mental that countries without a coastline, such as Austria, even have a vote on the Common Fisheries Policy. This joke of a policy has been responsible for the decimation of fishing stocks, especially the edict that fish that are smaller than allowed under the quota directive are just thrown back into the sea. So you have the truly Kafkaesque scenario of dead fish being jettisioned overboard a fishing vessel but it is impossible to get anyone in Brussels to explain the policy. We used to have control of our fisheries around the British coast but now it is all licensed so that anybody in the EU can buy licences and fish in our waters.

Last edited:
Back