APP - 'A Moral Question'

midcan5

"If Nikki White had been a resident of any other rich country, she would be alive today."

"Around the time she graduated from college, Monique A. "Nikki" White contracted systemic lupus erythematosus; that's a serious disease, but one that modern medicine knows how to manage. If this bright, feisty, dazzling young woman had lived in, say, Japan - the world's second - richest nation - or Germany (third richest), or Britain, France, Italy, Spain, Canada, Sweden, etc., the health care systems there would have given her the standard treatment for lupus, and she could have lived a normal life span. But Nikki White was a citizen of the world's richest country, the United States of America. Once she was sick, she couldn't get health insurance. Like tens of millions of her fellow Americans, she had too much money to qualify for health care under welfare, but too little money to pay for the drugs and doctors she needed to stay alive. She spent the last months of her life frantically writing letters and filling out forms, pleading for help. When she died, Nikki White was thirty-two years old." From prologue of book linked below.

"On September 11, 2001, some three thousand Americans were killed by terrorists; our country has spent hundreds of billions of dollars to make sure it doesn't happen again. But that same year, and every year since then, some twenty thousand Americans died because they couldn't get health care. That doesn't happen in any other developed country. Hundreds of thousands of Americans go bankrupt every year because of medical bills. That doesn't happen in any other developed country either." T.R. Reid 'The Healing of America'

Often no personal comment is required, life speaks for itself, or is that death? Check 'look inside' on Amazon for more. http://www.amazon.com/Healing-America-Global-Better-Cheaper/dp/B004KAB348/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8

Not much one can say about that. A lady suffering from the same disease was in the next room to me, divided by a head high screen, when I was intensive care. Although doctors are not allowed to discuss patients I overheard and then asked for confirmation. When I learned of the nature of the illness I became determined to give whatever help I could, my TV, her lighting requirements, all the help possible. When the team of nurses ran to my side and simultaneously heard her alarm I begged them to attend to her.
Yeah! I'm a saint. But in fact, it took my mind off my problems and I will swear that it aided my recovery. Other people come in useful when one is in danger of becoming self obsessed and wonering whether one's last letter should be in red ink or black.
She would have been paying the same as me for her treatment. The equivalent of US12.00 per day all included. The last time I enquired (two years later) she was still in a ward, still ill but no longer in intensive care.

Yeah! I'm a saint. But in fact, it took my mind off my problems and I will swear that it aided my recovery.
you showed great compassion, one thing that is priceless, yet costs you nothing. But is valuable to the recipient
There are a million ways to express it "what goes around comes around "good karma" (sic).
"do the right thing", even the smallest bit of kindness, brings rewards. It is what makes us worthy.

Compassion for our fellow man should transcend our love of money or material things. People should not die or suffer from medical issues because of a lack of money for medical care.

Compassion for our fellow man should transcend our love of money or material things. People should not die or suffer from medical issues because of a lack of money for medical care.

One can be compassionate and insufferably selfish. Knowing you have helped or given or cared for someone has a nice warm feeling attached to it..even when it hurts.

compassion is one of the things that makes man a wonderful species.

There was a time in this country that compassion was held above money.

There was a time when Americans were proud to see their tax dollars helping their fellow countrymen.

Now half the country see helping their fellow countrymen as a stab in their gut.

You mean despite my being an irresponsible gun owner?

Lol...yes. Although I never said that. I said every responsible owner has the potential to be an irresponsible gun owner. Therefore, there is no such thing as a responsible gun owner. Is that better?

WB, he gave you a compliment, just say thank you.

I know it was rude, and I apologize for that. But the comment he made was far more insulting than this. And not just to me, but to thousands of others.

Howey, thank you for the compliment. My apologies for letting something I am passionate about interfere with my manners. My Mother always taught me, despite what you feel there is never a need to be rude.

Last edited:
My wife has SLE. has had it over half her life (diag'd at age 14). She'll have good years and bad years with it and yes, it is expensive, but i'm most certainly not wealthy and we didn't have insurance, yet we managed to keep it under control. Not to dance on a persons grave, but if we can do it, why couldn't she?

Lol...yes. Although I never said that. I said every responsible owner has the potential to be an irresponsible gun owner. Therefore, there is no such thing as a responsible gun owner. Is that better?

If that is what you had said, or if that is what you meant, yes that is better. But those of us who go to great lengths to keep our guns safe and secure are being responsible.

But on two different threads you did, in fact, state that there are no responsible gun owners. That is why I tried to engage you in a discussion about your comments.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systemic_lupus_erythematosus#Causes

Systemic lupus erythematosus (i/sɪˈstɛmɪk ˈluːpəs ˌɛrɪθiːməˈtoʊsəs/), often abbreviated to SLE or lupus, is a systemic autoimmune disease (or autoimmune connective tissue disease) that can affect any part of the body. As occurs in other autoimmune diseases, the immune system attacks the body's cells and tissue, resulting in inflammation and tissue damage.[1] It is a Type III hypersensitivity reaction caused by antibody-immune complex formation.

SLE most often harms the heart, joints, skin, lungs, blood vessels, liver, kidneys, and nervous system. The course of the disease is unpredictable, with periods of illness (called flares) alternating with remissions. The disease occurs nine times more often in women than in men, especially in women in child-bearing years ages 15 to 35, and is also more common in those of non-European descent.[2][3][4]

pretending the affliction is the same in all cases is pretty dishonest

Lol...yes. Although I never said that.

I was hoping you would retract this too. But I guess that is too much to ask.

Post #4 in the Great Sadness thread:
“Until we, as intelligent and compassionate citizens, realize there is no such thing as a responsible gun owner, this will continue.”

Post #57 in the The Vast Majority of Gun Owners in this Country are Law Abiding Citizens thread:
“There is no such thing as a responsible gun owner. Period.”

I was hoping you would retract this too. But I guess that is too much to ask.

Post #4 in the Great Sadness thread:
“Until we, as intelligent and compassionate citizens, realize there is no such thing as a responsible gun owner, this will continue.”

Post #57 in the The Vast Majority of Gun Owners in this Country are Law Abiding Citizens thread:
“There is no such thing as a responsible gun owner. Period.”

that has to sting. oh wait....it is howey, he is numb from his vast "intelligence".....

If that is what you had said, or if that is what you meant, yes that is better. But those of us who go to great lengths to keep our guns safe and secure are being responsible.

But on two different threads you did, in fact, state that there are no responsible gun owners. That is why I tried to engage you in a discussion about your comments.

That's why I wanted to clarify it a bit more because nobody caught on to what I meant.

And thanks for the apology.

Back