Absinthe

MAGA MAN

Let's go Brandon!
The wife and I went to a dinner party last night and the hostess made "Death in the Afternoon" cocktails, one of the ingredients is the title of this thread. my wife had one, the rest of us had two.

That was followed by a glass of wine during dinner and a small amount of Grand Manier afterwards, which I did not finish. Three and one-half drinks is not a big deal for me. My wife told me that I wasn't drunk, was acting perfectly normal until I got in the car to drive home. Her house is 0.2 miles away, all of it on quiet residential streets, and most of these are paved in gravel. After I left her driveway I just stopped the car in the middle of the gravel road. So my wife put the car in park, set the E-brake, and we switched places.

I don't remember anything that happened after 9pm.

Avoid that shit! :palm:

The wife and I went to a dinner party last night and the hostess made "Death in the Afternoon" cocktails, one of the ingredients is the title of this thread. my wife had one, the rest of us had two.

That was followed by a glass of wine during dinner and a small amount of Grand Manier afterwards, which I did not finish. Three and one-half drinks is not a big deal for me. My wife told me that I wasn't drunk, was acting perfectly normal until I got in the car to drive home. Her house is 0.2 miles away, all of it on quiet residential streets, and most of these are paved in gravel. After I left her driveway I just stopped the car in the middle of the gravel road. So my wife put the car in park, set the E-brake, and we switched places.

Absinthe used to be illegal. Caused hallucinations. I assumed it had been changed since the days of the French Impressionists.

Sounds like the Green Fairy got you.

The consumption of absinthe was opposed by social conservatives and prohibitionists, partly due to its association with bohemian culture. Absinthe drinkers included Ernest Hemingway, James Joyce, Charles Baudelaire, Paul Verlaine, Arthur Rimbaud, Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, Amedeo Modigliani, Pablo Picasso, Vincent van Gogh, Oscar Wilde, Marcel Proust, Aleister Crowley, Erik Satie, Edgar Allan Poe, Lord Byron, Alfred Jarry, and Marilyn Manson.

continued

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absinthe

It's distilled from artemesia aka the herb wormwood. Here's an interesting bit from the Wikipedia article about it:

Absinthe has often been portrayed as a dangerously addictive psychoactive drug and hallucinogen.[8] The chemical compound thujone, which is present in the spirit in trace amounts, was blamed for its alleged harmful effects. By 1915, absinthe had been banned in the United States and in much of Europe, including France, the Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland, and Austria-Hungary, yet it has not been demonstrated to be any more dangerous than ordinary spirits. Recent studies have shown that absinthe's psychoactive properties have been exaggerated, apart from that of the alcohol.[8]

A revival of absinthe began in the 1990s following the adoption of modern European Union food and beverage laws which removed long-standing barriers to its production and sale. By the early 21st century, nearly 200 brands of absinthe were being produced in a dozen countries, most notably in France, Switzerland, Austria, Germany, Netherlands, Spain, and the Czech Republic.

The consumption of absinthe was opposed by social conservatives and prohibitionists, partly due to its association with bohemian culture. Absinthe drinkers included Ernest Hemingway, James Joyce, Charles Baudelaire, Paul Verlaine, Arthur Rimbaud, Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, Amedeo Modigliani, Pablo Picasso, Vincent van Gogh, Oscar Wilde, Marcel Proust, Aleister Crowley, Erik Satie, Edgar Allan Poe, Lord Byron, Alfred Jarry, and Marilyn Manson.

continued

Jinx! :~)

It's distilled from artemesia aka the herb wormwood. Here's an interesting bit from the Wikipedia article about it:

Absinthe has often been portrayed as a dangerously addictive psychoactive drug and hallucinogen.[8] The chemical compound thujone, which is present in the spirit in trace amounts, was blamed for its alleged harmful effects. By 1915, absinthe had been banned in the United States and in much of Europe, including France, the Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland, and Austria-Hungary, yet it has not been demonstrated to be any more dangerous than ordinary spirits. Recent studies have shown that absinthe's psychoactive properties have been exaggerated, apart from that of the alcohol.[8]

A revival of absinthe began in the 1990s following the adoption of modern European Union food and beverage laws which removed long-standing barriers to its production and sale.

By the early 21st century, nearly 200 brands of absinthe were being produced in a dozen countries, most notably in France, Switzerland, Austria, Germany, Netherlands, Spain, and the Czech Republic.

I think I'll pass.

I remembered that Van Gogh drank Absinthe.

I think I'll pass.

I remembered that Van Gogh drank Absinthe.

Heh, good point. I can't stand the smell of licorice, which is what absinthe smells like to me. Ugh. We have some wormwood in amongst the perennial plantings. I've noticed that the deer avoid it. Maybe they don't like memory problems? lol

continued

IOW absinthe is the beverage of the mentally ill.

:shots:

Heh, good point. I can't stand the smell of licorice, which is what absinthe smells like to me. Ugh. We have some wormwood in amongst the perennial plantings. I've noticed that the deer avoid it. Maybe they don't like memory problems? lol

I have never even smelled it.

We have started a community garden.. I am so thrilled.. You can be my master gardener guru.

continued

The green fairy effect is pretty bogus. It's just people get smashed on the stuff. Why? Well the bottle I bought in Canada, is a wee light, at 120 proof. That's 10% less then topical alcohol. Let it be known you're not supposed to drink the stuff straight. You dilute it with water, over a sugar cube.

Translation : The wife and I went to a dinner party last night in our trailer park were we drank massive amounts of moon shine

My wife told me that I wasn't drunk, was acting perfectly normal until I got in the pickup truck to drive home. Her trailer is 0.2 miles away, all of it on quiet trailer park streets, and most of these are paved in gravel. After I left her driveway I just stopped the pick up in the middle of the gravel road. So my wife had to push the pickup down the hill to our singlewide

I love black licorice. My wife buys me a small package of the real stuff every Christmas. Definitely an acquired taste.

The green fairy effect is pretty bogus. It's just people get smashed on the stuff. Why? Well the bottle I bought in Canada, is a wee light, at 120 proof. That's 10% less then topical alcohol. Let it be known you're not supposed to drink the stuff straight. You dilute it with water, over a sugar cube.

This was poured over some special natural sugar (the hostess used to be a trained chef) and then diluted with champagne. :palm:

The wife and I went to a dinner party last night in our trailer park were we drank massive amounts of moon shine

My wife told me that I wasn't drunk, was acting perfectly normal until I got in the pickup truck to drive home. Her trailer is 0.2 miles away, all of it on quiet trailer park streets, and most of these are paved in gravel. After I left her driveway I just stopped the pick up in the middle of the gravel road. So my wife had to push the pickup down the hill to our singlewide

That's a nice story lol.

You had to drive 0.2 miles to visit someone? 350 yards?

Back