Advice Requested

Just home from the lake and just now seeing this post. I have your basic Walmart .... probably a Sunbeam brand dehydrator. I don’t dehydrate many things but we love dehydrated apples and pears. I also like making homemade fruit roll ups out of pear purée. I don’t use ascorbic acid on my dehydrated pears or apples...just slice and put them in the machine. I dehydrate peppers...sweets and jalapeños. Love them. Just dry them in the machine and store them in mason jars in the cabinet. Great for using in cooking. And I make jerky...deer jerky. That’s all I use one for ... but I do use it. If I could harvest wild mushrooms I’d definitely use it for that as well. Morels are super scarce here and I can’t safely identify any other types.

Thanks! Especially for the pepper idea. I pickle the jalapenos and hot-water bath preserve them; the sweet peppers I usually freeze but don't much like how squishy they get when thawed. Drying sounds perfect.

Thanks! Especially for the pepper idea. I pickle the jalapenos and hot-water bath preserve them; the sweet peppers I usually freeze but don't much like how squishy they get when thawed. Drying sounds perfect.
I just string peppers up and hang them in the sun. I tried smoking peppers but damn...they make you cough way harder then even the best skunk weed

I pickle some jalapeños as well but I dry most of mine. And yes, drying does away with the squishiness of frozen peppers.

I pickle some jalapeños as well but I dry most of mine. And yes, drying does away with the squishiness of frozen peppers.

Thanks. I'm going to give that a try as well. I don't eat the hot peppers; they're grown just for my husband. He likes them pickled just fine so if there's a good crop this year I'll have both on hand.

Back