Allman Brothers Band Founding Member Butch Trucks Dead at 69

anatta

100% recycled karma
Butch Trucks, one of the founding members of the legendary Allman Brothers Band, has passed away. The drummer was 69 years old.

Relix first broke the news of Trucks’ death, citing both a Facebook post from his cousin, Lee Trucks, and a post from the Chesapeake Bay Blues Festival, at which Trucks was scheduled to perform in May. According to a statement from a rep, Trucks died on Tuesday night (Jan. 24) in West Palm Beach, Fla.

“His wife, four children, four grandchildren and all of the Allman Brothers Band, their families and road crew survive Butch,” the statement reads. “The Trucks and Allman Brothers Band families request all of Butch’s friends and fans to please respect our privacy at this time of sadness for our loss. Butch will play on in our hearts forever.”

“Great drummer. Good person,” Lee Trucks writes.

orn Claude Hudson Trucks in Jacksonville, Fla., on May 11, 1947, Trucks helped found the Allman Brothers Band with Duane Allman, Gregg Allman, Dickey Betts, Berry Oakley and Jai Johanny Johanson in 1969. Trucks continued to play with the iconic group until they disbanded in 2014. He went on to play with Les Brers, which included other former ABB members, and with Butch Trucks & the Freight Train Band.

Much of Trucks’ family is involved with music. His son Vaylor Trucks performs with the Yeti Trio, and nephew Derek Trucks works with the Tedeschi Trucks Band. Another nephew, Duane Trucks, plays with both Widespread Panic and Hard Working Americans.

No cause of death has yet been released, and no further details are currently available about the death of Butch Trucks.

Donations and remembrances in Butch’s name may be made to the Big House Museum in Macon, Georgia.

Read More: Allman Brothers Band Founding Member Butch Trucks Dead at 69 | http://tasteofcountry.com/allman-brothers-band-butch-trucks-dead/?trackback=tsmclip

They have been my favorite band since I came of age. Who else has perfected such a great mixture of Southern Rock, Blues and Jazz? They are simply the best.

the carnage of great musicians and entertainers continues into the New Year. RIP Butch

Well, they are getting old and most of them, including Trucks abused themselves with a lot of drugs for a lot of years in their youth.

Actually, it's kind of surprising many of them made it as long as they did.

Still sad, though.

They have been my favorite band since I came of age. Who else has perfected such a great mixture of Southern Rock, Blues and Jazz? They are simply the best.
When they were sober. I'm a huge fan of the Allman Brothers band too but when I saw them in the early 80's Rick Allman and several other of the band members were monkey drunk and it was a very disappointing show. They couldn't even keep time.

Last edited:
When they were sober. I'm a huge fan of the Allman Brothers band too but when I saw them in the early 80's Rick Allman and several other of the band members were monkey drunk and it was a very disappointing show. They couldn't even keep on beat.

I saw Aerosmith at the Old Boston Garden in the late 70's and they were all stoned as well. Forty five minutes of noise that all sounded the same, then they left. This was their home town, dammit! Worst concert that I had ever seen. Yet they put out some great albums back then.

I saw Aerosmith at the Old Boston Garden in the late 70's and they were all stoned as well. Forty five minutes of noise that all sounded the same, then they left. This was their home town, dammit! Worst concert that I had ever seen. Yet they put out some great albums back then.

They were sober...
you were drunk, shit stain...

When they were sober. I'm a huge fan of the Allman Brothers band too but when I saw them in the early 80's Rick Allman and several other of the band members were monkey drunk and it was a very disappointing show. They couldn't even keep time.
Reminds of the Neil Young show that I saw.

Which one was Rick? :rolleyes:

he started the Allman Brothers Band with Duane and Gregg Allman, Dickey Betts, Berry Oakley and Jai Johanny Johanson in 1969. That followed a tenure in college at Florida State in which Trucks said he “majored in staying out of Vietnam,” according to Rolling Stone. While there, he formed a band called the Bitter End; Trucks met Duane and Gregg Allman at one of their shows in Daytona Beach.

By the time they set up for a string of March 1971 concerts that would produce At Fillmore East, the Allman Brothers Band had become an improvisational juggernaut, blending genres and styles with dizzying ease. “We were finally starting to catch up with what we were listening to,” Trucks later recalled. “We had lived together … we got in trouble together. We all just moved as a unit. And then, when we got onstage to play, that’s what it was all about — and it just happened to all come together that weekend.”

Read More: Allman Brothers Band Drummer Butch Trucks Dies | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/butch-trucks-dies/?trackback=tsmclip

--> At Fillmore East release

(the Road Goes on Forever)

Really? I've seen Neil Young multiple times and he was the consummate professional each time.
Yep, Anchorage, Alaska in an old quaset hut turned ice ring, it was cold, he came on stage with a bottle, started playing, broke a string, was an asshole, the audience turned on him. It was hysterical!

Yep, Anchorage, Alaska in an old quaset hut turned ice ring, it was cold, he came on stage with a bottle, started playing, broke a string, was an asshole, the audience turned on him. It was hysterical!

A guy I used to work with many, many years ago back in the late 70's, told me a similar story about him. Said that Young came staggering out on stage, picked up one of his guitars and started to play really sloppy then actually fell off his stool.

After having read his authorized biography entitled "Shakey", I can believe it. He had the capacity, as he himself admits, to be a huge asshole on occasion. Several well known musicians who've worked with him and vowed to never do so again, agree.

The book I linked is well worth reading though, btw.

I checked it out of my local public library.

Back