Allotments

We have community gardens in the US:

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_gardens"]Community gardening - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Some are farmed collectively, some are split up into plots and farmed individually like allotments. I can only assume it's not very popular though.

That's a shame, especially for city based Americans.

They have become popular amongst the middle classes in Britain, partly down to campaigns for healthier living by several celebrity chefs and scandals about the state of intensive farming.

A friend and myself have recently taken one. It is bliss, little oasis in an urban jungle and if you do a sedentary job like mine it is good to do some physical labour.

I have huge tracts of land to do any gardening I want.

You don't live in a city I take it?

Mostly if I want to get physical I just go running.

Pounding the streets is boring...

I have huge tracts of land to do any gardening I want.

You don't live in a city I take it?

I live in a rural area. I was hoping you'd get the reference to "huge tracts of land" though...

Mostly if I want to get physical I just go running.

Pounding the streets is boring...

I listen to audiobooks. The beautiful thing about them is that you can multitask and do anything that doesn't require the mind.

Gardening is not my cup of tea. My grandma was a longstanding dalia champ, though...

Anyway, sounds like some cleaver Brit has found an excellent way to scam the frightened middle class out of its hard-privileged money...

Gardening is not my cup of tea. My grandma was a longstanding dalia champ, though...

Anyway, sounds like some cleaver Brit has found an excellent way to scam the frightened middle class out of its hard-privileged money...

[irony]Yes, we are a nation of cleavers, you can axe anybody.[/irony]

Actually that's one of the ideas for rebuilding Detroit is allotments. Well sorta anyways.

It's more of a plan for tearing it down.

In 50 years, a once 2 million person city has gone down to less than 1 million. It makes me sad even thinking of it, and I'm not from there. The fact that they are considering agricultural development says a lot.

In 50 years, a once 2 million person city has gone down to less than 1 million. It makes me sad even thinking of it, and I'm not from there. The fact that they are considering agricultural development says a lot.
Michigan is noted for lots of agriculture. And historically Detroit is a very large area, a lot is already farmable without any sort of tear down required.

But somethings are still up and running well. The Rouge is still very active, as are our oil refineries. There is still some life here.

That was then, you have to deal with the here and now. Maybe there is an opportunity for a potential graduate, like yourself, to do something and turn it around?

Back