Almost No One Just Says "No"

OrnotBitwise

Watermelon
Okay, can we all finally admit that abstinence-only sex education is totally unrealistic? Can we also agree that the theory (sic) that people are somehow more "promiscuous" today than they were 50 or 60 years ago is a laughable fantasy?

Reality check: 95 percent of Americans had premarital sex

NEW YORK (AP) -- More than nine out of 10 Americans, men and women alike, have had premarital sex, according to a new study. The high rates extend even to women born in the 1940s, challenging perceptions that people were more chaste in the past.

"This is reality-check research," said the study's author, Lawrence Finer. "Premarital sex is normal behavior for the vast majority of Americans, and has been for decades."

Finer is a research director at the Guttmacher Institute, a private New York-based think tank that studies sexual and reproductive issues and which disagrees with government-funded programs that rely primarily on abstinence-only teachings. The study, released Tuesday, appears in the new issue of Public Health Reports.

The study, examining how sexual behavior before marriage has changed over time, was based on interviews conducted with more than 38,000 people -- about 33,000 of them women -- in 1982, 1988, 1995 and 2002 for the federal National Survey of Family Growth. According to Finer's analysis, 99 percent of the respondents had had sex by age 44, and 95 percent had done so before marriage.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/12/19/premarital.sex.ap/index.html

:readit:

Well whether or not people use abstinence it does work every time it is used.

Yes, it does, but it is not practical to espouse that the human animal is capable of it. People fuck. Teaching them how to do it as safely as possible is more practical than trying to teach them not to do it. Getting people to practice abstinence will NEVER happen.

Well whether or not people use abstinence it does work every time it is used.

And living on a diet exclusively of broccoli, tofu, carrots, and spinacch will probably be 100% effective in keeping you from getting cancer. But, hardly anybody's going to do it -

Yes, it does, but it is not practical to espouse that the human animal is capable of it. People fuck. Teaching them how to do it as safely as possible is more practical than trying to teach them not to do it. Getting people to practice abstinence will NEVER happen.

right because we are animals. The abstinance method is just a pipe dream and avoidence of confronting / resolving the issue.

Agreed, education about safe sex is logical and necessary. Not only teaching about safe sex but also the responsibility of sex and the possible consequences that may result. Even with safe sex STD are possilbe, a pregnancy is possible and person should be aware of those possiblities and how to handle them as well. All I am saying is by using abstinance no STD or pregnancy will result and that is certianly possible to practice abstinance.

Agreed, education about safe sex is logical and necessary. Not only teaching about safe sex but also the responsibility of sex and the possible consequences that may result. Even with safe sex STD are possilbe, a pregnancy is possible and person should be aware of those possiblities and how to handle them as well. All I am saying is by using abstinance no STD or pregnancy will result and that is certianly possible to practice abstinance.
It's possible for an individual to do so, but it is totally unreasonable to expect all, or even most, individuals to do so.

Just because one particular person is able to do something does not mean that all people are able to do it. And let's not even get into the question of whether people want to practice abstinance. ;)

It's possible for an individual to do so, but it is totally unreasonable to expect all, or even most, individuals to do so.

Just because one particular person is able to do something does not mean that all people are able to do it. And let's not even get into the question of whether people want to practice abstinance. ;)

Yeah, I don't want to practice abstinance, believe me! Given a person's circumstance it may be a good option, certianly would take some self will and control but the alternative good cause much more burden than needed.

Advocating abstinance for everyone all the time is absurd, it just may be appropriate for some people from time to time.

Advocating abstinance for everyone all the time is absurd, it just may be appropriate for some people from time to time.
//

Agreed so is it right for the powers that be to push it as the ONLY birth control method ?

Not traveling by automobile is a SURE way to stay out of Auto accidents. Teaching abstinance with sex is about as intelegent as teaching Americans to avoid car accidents by not riding/driving in cars!

Yes and not having any children will eliminate death in 100 years or so as well.
But is that the way to go ?

Not traveling by automobile is a SURE way to stay out of Auto accidents. Teaching abstinance with sex is about as intelegent as teaching Americans to avoid car accidents by not riding/driving in cars!

Ironic and amusing posting about teaching intelligence and then spelling the word wrong. :D

Well you will soon see that I am a terrable speller and dont care...

Attacking my spelling is usually the last chance for some poor defeated fool who cant win an argument on its merits so they attack the cosmedics.

Well you will soon see that I am a terrable speller and dont care...

Attacking my spelling is usually the last chance for some poor defeated fool who cant win an argument on its merits so they attack the cosmedics.

:crybaby:

Back