American Kicks Unruly Toddler Off Plane

Dog cages? Cypress that's just ridiculous. I heard Tonka just came out with kiddie cages. Now those are more appropiate.

Sweet! Are they sound-proofed? I don't want to hear the little bastards crying and whining.

The kid is autistic.

After hearing the story I think the airline employees acted like assholes and exacerbated the problem.

The kid is autistic.

After hearing the story I think the airline employees acted like assholes and exacerbated the problem.

:rolleyes:

As a person who was the victim of bad parenting and uncontrollable tots, I sure wish I had that flight crew on my flight back from LV when we saw you a couple of months ago.

The kid is autistic.

Also, even he is autistic - if he can't handle being on a plane then he shouldn't be on one. She could have driven from Durham to Jersey for a visit.

Dogs shouldn't even be flown in the cargo hold, much less children.

Yeah, I like the Mitt Romney method of strapping a dog in a cage to the top of the car, and then driving 18 hours straight to canada.

What a punk!

My dog rides in the car with me, and get priority over any whiny toddler!

Yeah, I like the Mitt Romney method of strapping a dog in a cage to the top of the car, and then driving 18 hours straight to canada.

What a punk!

My dog rides in the car with me, and get priority over any whiny toddler
!

speaking of which, tonka's actually coming out with an on the hood car seat, so that your dog will have the comforts of an entire back seat while you kids can sit atop your vehicle.

The stewardess's job is to fix the problem not make it worse.

This crew made it worse by not aiding a parent with a child that had a medically recognised condition.

The steward or stewardess exacerbated the problem by further adgitating the child.

The stewardess's job is to fix the problem not make it worse.

This crew made it worse by not aiding a parent with a child that had a medically recognised condition.

The steward or stewardess exacerbated the problem by further adgitating the child.

The crew has to abide by certain safety regulations, though. One is that all passengers must be strapped into their seats before and during takeoff. Apparently this little boy couldn't deal with that. I'm not sure that anything the attendant could have done would have made that better; depends on the type and severity of the child's illness.

Unless this family was alone on the plane, we also have to remember that the crew has responsibilities to all the passengers, not just one or two, and that they probably aren't trained to deal with these specific medically-precipitated behavior problems. I'm not sure that anything she could have done might have any desired effect under the circumstances.

The captain, likewise, has a responsibility to all passengers. He did right to turn the plane back to the terminal to allow the mother and child to disembark.

Perfection is not a common trait found in any employee anywhere. The assumption is she'd have magical powers to know how to fix an autistic child. The whole plane should not suffer because the child's behavior makes takeoff impossible.

When a child is upset I think any person with any brains realizes that a stranger coming up and ruoghly handling them is not going to calm them down.

When a child is upset I think any person with any brains realizes that a stranger coming up and ruoghly handling them is not going to calm them down.
According to the mother's story the child simply was wriggling out of the belt and she was returning to ensure his safety. It wasn't as if the child was screaming at that point in time. Nor is there any indication that the employee even knew the child was autistic, let alone had extensive training on how to deal with autistic children.

It is impossible to have perfection in every situation, some of them are simply unfixable.

If the child makes it impossible for her to ensure the safety of the other passengers, then they should be removed from the plane.

he said she said.. people need to chill out. just do what i do and take a benzodiazepine when flying.

The crew has to abide by certain safety regulations, though. One is that all passengers must be strapped into their seats before and during takeoff. Apparently this little boy couldn't deal with that. I'm not sure that anything the attendant could have done would have made that better; depends on the type and severity of the child's illness.

Unless this family was alone on the plane, we also have to remember that the crew has responsibilities to all the passengers, not just one or two, and that they probably aren't trained to deal with these specific medically-precipitated behavior problems. I'm not sure that anything she could have done might have any desired effect under the circumstances.

The captain, likewise, has a responsibility to all passengers. He did right to turn the plane back to the terminal to allow the mother and child to disembark.

I think the airline did what was right. If the child cannot be restrainted for its own safety, then the child does not need to be flying.

Back