America’s Frozen Housing Market Is Warping the Economy

Would you support letting any type of housing to be built anywhere? Or do you support some level of regulation not allowing that?
No, but allowing a maximum of flexibility rather than rigid adherence to a narrow set of rules seems highly useful to getting more homes built.

No, but allowing a maximum of flexibility rather than rigid adherence to a narrow set of rules seems highly useful to getting more homes built.
That’s rather abstract.

There are some people who are ideologues and against market rate housing on principle.

But plenty of other NIMBYs will claim to support new development as long as it fits criteria that is acceptable to them (not in their neighborhood and maybe a particular kind of housing). And this type of NIMBY comes in all political shapes and sizes. And it’s why we have the housing crisis we do.

The problem with that is government regulations and building codes force builders and developers to do certain things. Some of it is absolutely necessary, much of it is simply fluff.

For example, every new home or apartment requires AFI breakers installed for all receptacles in bedrooms. These are, quite frankly, a useless code requirement. They cost about $30 - $50 more than a typical circuit breaker and add somewhere between $100 and $200 to a home for no added value and a miniscule, tiny, almost irrelevant, improvement in safety. That seems like a small amount, but these things add up as you pile them on.

Another is the HOA. These are nothing but an added expense. I suppose some people want to live in one, but many don't. Try to find a new construction home that isn't in an HOA these days. HOA's can be expensive, and many actually decrease equity on a home by the membership fees exceeding the increases in value the home accrues. The crossover point is about $50 in fees per $1000 paid in mortgage. Maybe you like "Yard Nazis," but I know I don't.
I believe in AGI and GFI's because they do save lives. ANd I believe the cost is justified.

I do agree that HOA'S can become HARMFUL TO HOMEOWNERS FREE RIGHTS, ARE ANTI-DEMOCRATIC, AND IS overreach. I do believe in City Codes and Zoning laws and the enforcement of them, and those normally cover things HOA's try to enforce.

One of my favorite places to visit, is my relatives in Scottsdale, Arizona out in your neck of the woods, and because I love the way those who live there will go with their natural landscape, with the use of rocks and cacti plants. HOA's do not agree with these type of landscapes, and will ban them in neighborhoods.

Last edited:
If you have to spend months, even years, dealing with red tape, environmental regulations, required 'stuff' and paperwork to build a house, that all costs massively in time and money.

I just spent a 3 month period dealing with government and bureaucracy to do a 3-day job to replace a service panel on an existing house. That's the sort of bullshit I'm talking about.
Tell me about it. The government and bureaucracy took 3 years to approve a driveway job done in one day.

Yes it does but that still doesn't address when citizens fight new development because they only want a certain type of home to be built. NIMBYism plays a huge role in this and the positions you've argued are the definition of NIMBYism. (again, not trying to make it personal about you or an attack on you but just referencing you when talking about the large number of people who share your position).
He's not talking at all about NIMBYism. He's talking about excessive costs due to government regulations and bureaucracy. Try to pay attention, Wacko.

Those rules were put in place by bankers.
Bankers are not government, Sybil.
They got accepted by Greenspan who was god of money back then.
The Fed IS government, Sybil.
The mortgage companies dictated the qualifications because they were into selling SWAPs.
Mortgage companies can dictate any qualification they wish, so long as they aren't racist or bigoted about it.
They had no liability because they sold the mortgages or spread them as a backing for the swaps.
The 'swaps' you refer to have owners. The banks.

They started with normal mortgage qualifications for the SWAPS. When they were used up, they dropped the qualifications. The investment bankers were making trillions.
They lost trillions, Sybil. Did you forget the 2007 crash?
So they told the mortgage lenders to drop requirements over and over.
Nobody told mortgage lenders anything.
Do you support abortion for convenience?
Do you support women to not have children and instead work like any other man?
Do you support gender surgery?
Do you support gay/lesbian behavior?No
Good.
The great Depression resulted in rules for banks.
On other words, fascism.

He's not talking at all about NIMBYism. He's talking about excessive costs due to government regulations and bureaucracy. Try to pay attention, Wacko.
The discussion is housing but we should ignore one of the major drivers (and the people who elect anti-development politicians) because why?

Do you believe the government should be able to restrict what type of housing developers can build? If yes, why?

The discussion is housing but we should ignore one of the major drivers (and the people who elect anti-development politicians) because why?

Do you believe the government should be able to restrict what type of housing developers can build? If yes, why?
You can't pivot that way! Ignoring what TA Gardner said won't work!

My first home was at 8,75% my second home was at 13% :whoa:
So that would be a 50% increase in about ten years. This is 100% increase in about one year.

Hopefully the strong move by the Fed will cut inflation quickly. It is looking good right now. There is some pain, but I would rather have some short term pain than decades of trying to fight inflation.

Carter shot the interest rate sky high and Reagan returned it back to earth.

Mortgage rate history: 1970s to 2024

Carter's nominee for Fed Chairman, Volcker shot the interest rates sky high, to take a strong stand against inflation. It worked, and so interest rates were reduced a little, but stayed high. Reagan did one thing right, he renominated Volcker.

Taking a strong stand against inflation is a good thing. It is tough over the short term, but worth it.

Nope lax lending practices pushed by Baney Franks were largely responsible for the housing collapse in the 80's that pushed up interest rates and crashed the economy. It took Reagan a couple years to fix it.

Hey, Barney Frank: The Government Did Cause the Housing Crisis

Lane is quoting again from the Big Ass Book of Things That never happened.

Frank and Reagan came to power in the same election of 1980, so it would be impossible for Frank to have caused something that later Reagan had to fix.

There was no national housing collapse of the 1970's or 1980's. It just did not happen. Mortgage rates were pushed up by Fed interest rates, but that was to fight inflation. It was not pushed up by lending practices.

Reagan renominated Volcker. That is the opposite of "fixing" it. In fact, Reagan decided higher interest rates had been worth it to fight inflation.

Lanes link claims that the government caused the Housing Crisis of 2008. That was decades after Reagan's Presidency, and did not involve higher interest rates.

The last one is interesting. Interest rates at the beginning of the Housing Crisis of 2008 were about as high as they are now. It was as a response to the deflation involved in the Housing Crisis of 2008 that we got the much lower rates that we got used to. So it did the complete opposite of raise interest rates.

Imo, Inflation is warping the housing market. That should be the title of he article. I believe inflation is the largest factor in freezing the housing market.

Sort of, but you are more wrong than right.

The reaction to deflation caused interest rates to be bizarrely low. When inflation happened, they had to rise. That being said, they may never go down to 2% again. That requires insanely low interest rates, because of a threat of deflation.

On the bright side, you can get CD's at 5+%.

The developers I know are always complaining about the lack of rules. They invest in a piece of land, only to find that local zoning boards changing the rules with every case.

The developers I know are always complaining about the lack of rules. They invest in a piece of land, only to find that local zoning boards changing the rules with every case.
Developers would. It prevents entry into the market by small contractors and such. For a big developer, more government is a good thing. I guess you like big government colluding with big corporations...

Developers would. It prevents entry into the market by small contractors and such. For a big developer, more government is a good thing. I guess you like big government colluding with big corporations...
Big developers can weather the delays of ever changing rules better than small developers. The small developer who buys a property meaning to develop it only to enter into a multi-year political battle can not weather that.

Make a rule ahead of time, and let everyone decide what they want to do.

Back