And we bid farewell to a great.

I'm Watermark

Diabetic
Earl Weaver, the Hall of Fame manager who brought pugnacity and pragmatism to the Baltimore Orioles dugout, leading the team to five 100-win seasons, four American League pennants and the 1970 World Series championship, and tormenting a generation of umpires along the way, died early Saturday. He was 82.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/20/s...anager-of-the-orioles-dies-at-82.html?hp&_r=0

CROP-AP720915016.jpg

Last edited:
Earl and Sparky were my favorites. Earl was probably the only manager in the country who could handle the nuerotic but great Jim Palmer. His 1970 team with Palmer, Frank Robinson, Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell, Dave McNally, Don Buford were incrediable. I remember crying when they beat my Reds in the WS (I was only 8). Brooks Robinson was fucking amazing that series. It was like he had ESP. He'd break for the ball while the pitcher was winding up and make these incredible plays. He by god had Johny Bench's number. That was one of the all time great teams in MLB.

Last edited:
Earl and Sparky were my favorites. Earl was probably the only manager in the country who could handle the nuerotic be great Jim Palmer. His 1970 team with Palmer, Frank Robinson, Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell, Dave McNally, Don Buford were incrediable. I remember crying when they beat my Reds in the WS (I was only 8). Brooks Robinson was fucking amazing that series. It was like he had ESP. He'd break for the ball while the pitcher was winding up and make these incredible plays. He by god had Johny Bench's number. That was one of the all time great teams in MLB.

I vividly remember that WS. I have always been a Yankee fan, but the Orioles were my second favorite team. Mantle is my favorite, but Brooks is right up there. Johnny Bench is the best catcher that ever played the game. I used to go see him play for the Buffalo Bisons in the mid 1960's.

The only time I ever ended up rooting for a NL team was the Amazin' Mets in 1969 who beat the O's in 5. I started out rooting for the O's, but it was just too Amazin' to not get caught up in the fairy tale. Plus the Mets were the parent club of the Bisons in the early 1960's So I had seen guys like Cleon Jones, Ed Kranepool, Ron Swoboda, Bud Harrelson play for Buffalo. It was a storybook ending.

I vividly remember that WS. I have always been a Yankee fan, but the Orioles were my second favorite team. Mantle is my favorite, but Brooks is right up there. Johnny Bench is the best catcher that ever played the game. I used to go see him play for the Buffalo Bisons in the mid 1960's.

The only time I ever ended up rooting for a NL team was the Amazin' Mets in 1969 who beat the O's in 5. I started out rooting for the O's, but it was just too Amazin' to not get caught up in the fairy tale. Plus the Mets were the parent club of the Bisons in the early 1960's So I had seen guys like Cleon Jones, Ed Kranepool, Ron Swoboda, Bud Harrelson play for Buffalo. It was a storybook ending.
I'll never forget the fight between Bud Harrelson and Pete Rose in the 73 playoffs. Reds fans never could understand why Bud got so mad. Pete was just being Pete. LOL

The only problem is it was an all star game that had no reward for winning like today. Fosse was never the same after that injury.

There is no off switch for a guy like Rose. He excelled due to his hustle. No one would've told Fosse not to hit the ball too hard and he is not blamed for blocking the plate. Fosse gave Rose no room. It's not Rose's fault it did not work out well for Fosse.

There is no off switch for a guy like Rose. He excelled due to his hustle. No one would've told Fosse not to hit the ball too hard and he is not blamed for blocking the plate. Fosse gave Rose no room. It's not Rose's fault it did not work out well for Fosse.

I get the Charlie Hustler crap. But it was an exhibition game. And good old Charlie hustled himself out of baseball and the Hall of Fame. Cream rises to the top, and crap sinks to the bottom.

I get the Charlie Hustler crap. But it was an exhibition game. And good old Charlie hustled himself out of baseball and the Hall of Fame. Cream rises to the top, and crap sinks to the bottom.

Yeah, all of that bs has nothing to do with this play. Fosse caused the collision. Anyone who knows the game will tell you that, if they are capable of objective analyses. To avoid collision a catcher should stay on the field side of home and give the back of the plate to the runner. Fosse blocked the plate. He forced Rose into a position where he could either choose to pull up and take an out or collide. Was he not playing in an exhibition game?

On the rest, whatever. Pete Rose was a great player.

Last edited:
Yeah, all of that bs has nothing to do with this play. Fosse caused the collision. Anyone who knows the game will tell you that, if they are capable of objective analyses. To avoid collision a catcher should stay on the field side of home and give the back of the plate to the runner. Fosse blocked the plate. He forced Rose into a position where he could either choose to pull up and take an out or collide. Was he not playing in an exhibition game?

On the rest, whatever. Pete Rose was a great player.

I played semi pro ball. There is a dugout term for what Rose did and who and what Rose is...BUSH LEAGUE.

I don't care at what level you claimed to play at your analyses is nothing but sour grapes and colored by emotion.

Frankly, the whole, "it was just an exhibition game" is for people that have no clue. You play to win; not to lose and not to tie. In the moment you are not stopping to think whether it's an exhibition game and what sort of effort/risks are acceptable in that context. If you are then you are playing it wrong.

It's quite easy for a spectator or even the player in retrospect to sit around and pass judgment as they are not faced with the decision in real time. For those who are, in that instant your training takes over. It did for BOTH Fosse and Rose and even whoever threw the ball. They played it like winners. It's unfortunate that Fosse was injured but using this as some sort of strike against Rose is mostly about those jealous of Rose's fame and success. Again, Fosse caused the collision and is more to blame for it than Rose as he could have easily positioned himself to avoid the collision. Instead he forced the collision. Blocking the base is in no way a proper aspect of the game. This was not some play at second where the runner goes out of the base line to break up a double play.

Any baseball fan or player that even uses the term Bush league is either a sissy or ignorant of the etymology. The term derives mostly from disdain for baseball players as uncultured ruffians, as they were considered early in the history of the game.

I don't care at what level you claimed to play at your analyses is nothing but sour grapes and colored by emotion.

Frankly, the whole, "it was just an exhibition game" is for people that have no clue. You play to win; not to lose and not to tie. In the moment you are not stopping to think whether it's an exhibition game and what sort of effort/risks are acceptable in that context. If you are then you are playing it wrong.

It's quite easy for a spectator or even the player in retrospect to sit around and pass judgment as they are not faced with the decision in real time. For those who are, in that instant your training takes over. It did for BOTH Fosse and Rose and even whoever threw the ball. They played it like winners. It's unfortunate that Fosse was injured but using this as some sort of strike against Rose is mostly about those jealous of Rose's fame and success. Again, Fosse caused the collision and is more to blame for it than Rose as he could have easily positioned himself to avoid the collision. Instead he forced the collision. Blocking the base is in no way a proper aspect of the game. This was not some play at second where the runner goes out of the base line to break up a double play.

Any baseball fan or player that even uses the term Bush league is either a sissy or ignorant of the etymology. The term derives mostly from disdain for baseball players as uncultured ruffians, as they were considered early in the history of the game.

Pete Rose was a great player. But so was Ty Cobb. Neither man is known for their character. Rose is black balled for life from baseball. He is now a mere stain on a great game. It is what happens to slime balls. If you want to lick Rose's ass, be my guest. If you want to justify his bush league antics, you have every right. But you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Pete Rose was a great player. But so was Ty Cobb. Neither man is known for their character. Rose is black balled for life from baseball. He is now a mere stain on a great game. It is what happens to slime balls. If you want to lick Rose's ass, be my guest. If you want to justify his bush league antics, you have every right. But you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Again, bush league is a term for those who should spend time at the country club licking the ass of those who look down their nose at the game.

Again, Rose's other actions have nothing to do with this play. Fosse blocked the plate and takes the lion's share of responsbility for the collision. The fact that he was injured does not change that, nor does Rose's gambling issues.

In the real world one often can not stop to consider all angles. Especially, not in pro sports. You rely on your training and go hard or go home.

Fosse had much more time to consider his options and chose to block the plate. I don't blame him. He was a competitor.

Captain Hindight has all the answers but will never achieve a thing.

bush-league

Amateur, unsophisticated, unprofessional. From the baseball term for a second-rate baseball league and therefore its players (as in bush-league pitcher etc.). OED cites its first baseball use as 1906, non-baseball in 1914

OED - Oxford English Dictionary

Yes, it was from back in the day when baseball was thought of as a sport for the poor or those lacking sophistication.

What should Pete have done differently? Should he have stayed on third? Should he have allowed Fosse to have the out because he put them both at risk?

Again, no one that knows the game and looks at that play objectively can fault Pete. There was nothing "bush league" about it. If a fielder blocks the bag then he is the cause of the collision.

Here is an example of poor sportmanship where the runner is going out of his way to cause a collision and in an exhibition game. But because it was not on the big stage, mattered little and has no connection to a legend nobody but Rays fans will remember it. We remember it because when Johnny Gomes took that pussy to the ground it was seen as a team building exercise in our world series season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2008/news/story?id=3289751

Yes, it was from back in the day when baseball was thought of as a sport for the poor or those lacking sophistication.

What should Pete have done differently? Should he have stayed on third? Should he have allowed Fosse to have the out because he put them both at risk?

Again, no one that knows the game and looks at that play objectively can fault Pete. There was nothing "bush league" about it. If a fielder blocks the bag then he is the cause of the collision.

Here is an example of poor sportmanship where the runner is going out of his way to cause a collision and in an exhibition game. But because it was not on the big stage, mattered little and has no connection to a legend nobody but Rays fans will remember it. We remember it because when Johnny Gomes took that pussy to the ground it was seen as a team building exercise in our world series season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2008/news/story?id=3289751

Maybe a cretin like you should follow UFC or some other sport that will satisfy your inner barbarism. What makes Francisco Cervelli a 'pussy'? Because he doesn't play for 'your team'?? Did you masturbate when you found out Cervelli broke his wrist in the collision???

And we wonder why we have a culture of violence in this country. Morons like you who can't discern a fucking GAME from real life. In the realm of the sport Pete Rose was in the rules, in the realm of real life, he crossed the line. Ray Fosse was making a whopping $12,000 per year at the time.

Back