Another hit on the bad-assery list

Right I used to laugh at welders like you before my 6 yea rs of college. The use to come in my bar like they made big money. Id take that money, fuck the chicks those knuckle draggers struck out with all the while making more bartending. Tool
You've never met a master fabricator then.

Mine required about 8000 hours. A phd requires about 4000 (based on the theory of 2 hours outside the classroom for every hour in it). I had to learn metallurgy, electrical theory, trig, algebra, and physics. And that's BEFORE I picked up a torch. Every week I have my work examined by a fucking X-ray because lives and literal millions of dollars of ocean going freight depend on me being fucking awesome at my job.

To be technical though, most of that 8000 for my journeymans card was time on the torch. Only 700 hours was class room time. Roughly around what's required for a 4 year degree. The point I want to illustrate to you Top, is that it's a pretty intellectually demanding job at my level.
and it takes about 20,000 hours of relevent experience to earn your masters card. If you have the talent. Brains aren't enough to earn your Master card.

Yeah cause the best and brightest weld.
Anyone can tack two pieces of metal together. Try welding the blades of a jet turbine to spec. Those guys are pretty sharp and very talented. You shouldn't sell them short. I've worked with to many Journeyman and Master tradesmen. These guys are not mouth breathing knuckle draggers and most guys who are certified masters in a trade make close to or exceed a six figure income. You don't get there by being stupid.

you can get a degree for garbage colllecting.

Do the majority of welders have degrees from 4yr universities. I say no
Id say the majority of professional welders (I.e. not those who do it as well as other duties) have a degree in either welding or industrial fabrication.

and it takes about 20,000 hours of relevent experience to earn your masters card. If you have the talent. Brains aren't enough to earn your Master card.

I'm not a master. I'm a long ways off of a master. The point is it takes brains to weld, in addition to skill.

I'm not a master. I'm a long ways off of a master. The point is it takes brains to weld, in addition to skill.
Agreed. Bean counters just seem to have a hair up their ass about people who actually make and produce things. I've worked with a lot of tradesmen over the years and I have never met a tradesmen at the master level who couldn't do some incredble shit. I mean millwrights blow my mind. They have to know all the aspects of building a plant. Construction, structures, electrical, plumbing/pipe fitting, masonry, fabrication, drafting and design, etc, etc, they have to know it all.

Back