any fishing people out there?

Sunfish, striped Bass and Perch, on the St Lawrence river, upstate New York, near Canada, was the absolute best fishing of my life!!!!!! I was 8 years old and my dad and mom took us up there on a camping trip, for vacation...we stayed a week, and every day we slid those live worms on those hooks on our fishing poles, not rods, sitting on the dock, just watching those bobbers, until they bobbed!!!! Less THAN A MINUTE, before you caught another one!!!! it was awesome, we got in a contest with eachother, Dad, my sister, and me.....mom stayed in the cabin cleaning and getting ready for the cooking of them....plus we needed one on one time with my dad who worked all the time, usually....and my mom had us and one on ones, pretty much 24/7.....so this was bonding with dad time, I presume, and looking back on it.... :)

And this was it...hook, line and sinker! We mostly fished fresh water....lakes with bobbers and poles and rivers with flies....

Then, near decades later, I met my husband, who was from Tampa and he liked to Salt water fish....we used to go fishing off the different bridges on Tampa Bay....using live shrimp or fresh squid... and on the Gulf, st pete side, we used spoons, shiners, off a local pier....

And then after we became serious and were engaged to be married we went on vacation down to the Keys, Islamorada, to be exact, purely for fishing, every day, and we did a variety of fishing trips.... a full day charter where we caught tons of green dolphin fish, a half day charter where it was a boat filled with fisherman, unlike the yaght with just a few of us, where we caught a bunch of yellowtail one night and a bunch of Red Snapper another night, (and the local restaurants would cook it for you for a minimal fee for potatoes and veggies and salad and bread :) ),

and we rented a small craft, where we went out fishing on our own....we have great pictures of this.... and a shot of me holding the fishing line of maybe a 4 lb Mackeral that I caught, up in the air for a photo, at least 18 inches out of the water, and the precise next shot was a shot of the Mackeral's HEAD ONLY..... a Baracuda, jumped out of the water, and snapped off the entire body of the Spanish Makeral from my line of which my hand was maybe a foot away from....

I think my jaw was dropped open for the rest of the day in shock of what had just happened.... and also, because we were still alive after snorkeling in the same waters with these baracudas, right before we began the chumming and the fishing....:shock: we also had a sting ray, maybe a manta(sp?) ray go under our skip that was at least 7 feet round and who knows with the stinger/tail????? yikes again!

I went on a fishing trip with my boss once and some other employees where he rented a private charter and we went out from Ft Laud in to the Atlantic, and he ended up catching a 9 1/2 ft golden Hammerhead Shark on supposedly 15 lb test line, which took him 3 hours to real in.... of which he had stuffed and hung in his office with pictures of the trip framed.... :)

We are very much looking forward to Ice Fishing up here....don't know a thing about it, but all winter on the local news they feature small children and their "Catch of the Day" pictures of who caught some big ass fish with their Dad's, ice fishing....think they are Bass??? But uncertain??? What's the trick to it? What kind of bait?

Care

Last edited:
Sunfish, striped Bass and Perch, on the St Lawrence river, upstate New York, near Canada, was the absolute best fishing of my life!!!!!! I was 8 years old and my dad and mom took us up there on a camping trip, for vacation...we stayed a week, and every day we slid those live worms on those hooks on our fishing poles, not rods, sitting on the dock, just watching those bobbers, until they bobbed!!!! Less THAN A MINUTE, before you caught another one!!!! it was awesome, we got in a contest with eachother, Dad, my sister, and me.....mom stayed in the cabin cleaning and getting ready for the cooking of them....plus we needed one on one time with my dad who worked all the time, usually....and my mom had us and one on ones, pretty much 24/7.....so this was bonding with dad time, I presume, and looking back on it.... :)

And this was it...hook, line and sinker! We mostly fished fresh water....lakes with bobbers and poles and rivers with flies....

Then, near decades later, I met my husband, who was from Tampa and he liked to Salt water fish....we used to go fishing off the different bridges on Tampa Bay....using live shrimp or fresh squid... and on the Gulf, st pete side, we used spoons, shiners, off a local pier....

And then after we became serious and were engaged to be married we went on vacation down to the Keys, Islamorada, to be exact, purely for fishing, every day, and we did a variety of fishing trips.... a full day charter where we caught tons of green dolphin fish, a half day charter where it was a boat filled with fisherman, unlike the yaght with just a few of us, where we caught a bunch of yellowtail one night and a bunch of Red Snapper another night, (and the local restaurants would cook it for you for a minimal fee for potatoes and veggies and salad and bread :) ),

and we rented a small craft, where we went out fishing on our own....we have great pictures of this.... and a shot of me holding the fishing line of maybe a 4 lb Mackeral that I caught, up in the air for a photo, at least 18 inches out of the water, and the precise next shot was a shot of the Mackeral's HEAD ONLY..... a Baracuda, jumped out of the water, and snapped off the entire body of the Spanish Makeral from my line of which my hand was maybe a foot away from....

I think my jaw was dropped open for the rest of the day in shock of what had just happened.... and also, because we were still alive after snorkeling in the same waters with these baracudas, right before we began the chumming and the fishing....:shock: we also had a sting ray, maybe a manta(sp?) ray go under our skip that was at least 7 feet round and who knows with the stinger/tail????? yikes again!

I went on a fishing trip with my boss once and some other employees where he rented a private charter and we went out from Ft Laud in to the Atlantic, and he ended up catching a 9 1/2 ft golden Hammerhead Shark on supposedly 15 lb test line, which took him 3 hours to real in.... of which he had stuffed and hung in his office with pictures of the trip framed.... :)

We are very much looking forward to Ice Fishing up here....don't know a thing about it, but all winter on the local news they feature small children and their "Catch of the Day" pictures of who caught some big ass fish with their Dad's, ice fishing....think they are Bass??? But uncertain??? What's the trick to it? What kind of bait?

Care

nice.... you husband got lucky with you... you like to fish, i wish my lady did, but atleast she make the trip everyonece in a while, she just tans and reads. works for me.

that would be crazy t catch a shark... i have done much slatwater fishing... unless you call keeping a saltwater aquarium fishing :rolleyes: hopefully next year, we might be going to the carabein again and i will make it a point to go fishing, no if ands or but about it.

Ice fishing.... ooooo ice fishing what a wounderfull sport
i perfer fishing in an ice house, as i am sure you will too,
basicly its like sitting in a cabin with hole in the bottom, the one we have has a fireplace, 2 folddown bunks tv, radio and 2 lazyboys, we also have a card table that lowers from the celling .... good times

usaly i am past the leagle limit for walking after a good night of ice fishing, hence the bunks.

ice fishing luers and bait are lil diffrent in the winter, much smaller, and usaly we just use minnows for live bait, they keep the best, as long as they dont freeze. it also depends what your fishing for, i usaly fish for crappie on ice.

hope you get out there and try it, its not for every one but atleast get out there and try it, who knows you may fall in love with the sport

i would also find someone who has been ice fishing the area for a while if you are new to it, your sucsess will be much better but not garanteed.

BE CAREFULL, there are alot of dangers with ice, you can grow up knowing ice and frozen lakes, the miniute you losse respect for ice is when you are in trouble

Damn...........

it was... vary hot... too hot for my likeins

but thats alright, we just had had to make more trips to the bar for more ice, o and maybe a few drinks.... ok not just a few.

but any way the fishing sucked again... to hot, we did have better luck this year rather then last, my cusion cought a 19" wally, a few snakes "small Northen pike" and a couple small mouth bass.

next year i think we are actuly going to go when its a lil cooler..... finaly

the food was the best part of the trip

we had pot roast w/ garlic mashed potatos, green beens 1st night
then stuffed porkchops same sides
then garlic rosted chikinbrests w/garlic roasted red potatos and carrots and rudabagas
last night we had smoked porkchops garlic mashed potatos green beans glazed carrots, fish chips for app... then we made a bluebarry cobler pie with fresh picked bluebarrys we picked from our campsite.

we ate good for camping i think.

i will see if i can post some pics, we had a great site, with gorgous weather besides the heat.

good times

Now thats what I call super camping...your menu beats anything I ever had...can I go camping with y'all?... the hell with the fish I will stay near the cooking site...:cool:

I can't stand fishing with a pole. Like watching paint dry.

Might be due to youth spent commercial fishing. When you see a boat so full with fish that you are frantically bailing water to keep from sinking it kind of makes a full stringer seem pretty weak.

I can't stand fishing with a pole. Like watching paint dry.

Might be due to youth spent commercial fishing. When you see a boat so full with fish that you are frantically bailing water to keep from sinking it kind of makes a full stringer seem pretty weak.

hey that happens every ounce in a while with a pole... when i was in canada we would have our walleye limit within 15 -25 min

i think on morning we were out for about 4 hours we counted how many we cought, i think it was around 100 or just over, fun as hell.

but i guess i could see where you are coming from

Back