Anyone into hiking??

How is it possible for anyone to not like hiking?
I am fortunate to be surrounded by natural beauty, making just walking out the front door a distinct pleasure, but even when I was a city slicker I would try to make it to Golden Gate Park, or across the bridge to Marin County as often as I could!

“What I love most about nature is how indifferent it is to us humans and human suffering. While we are here with our little or big tragedies—the wind is blowing, the leaves are rustling in the trees, the flowers bloom, and die—there’s a great comfort in that indifference.”
 --Valzhyna Mort, Belarusian poet

Where you at now, if I may ask.

Saturday idid mt Tallic and the Saturday before did Stinson beach to mt tamapias st park and horsetail falls couple sats before that

California.
I have hiked all over Mount Tamalpais, and been to Stinson Beach numerous times. Good stuff! Remarkable how much natural beauty and relative solitude is within a stones throw of San Francisco.

Last summer I did some great hiking and canoeing in Quebec province. I love those northern boreal forests.

Scared of a couple of bears?
Pussy...

You fight bears very often??

He is totally correct.. One of the ppl I hiked w/ on Saturday was up there last month & he likes to hike a lot.. He said there were several attacks when he was there & he & a friend of his came quite uncomfortably close to a few...

These where also in areas his friend was familiar w/ & had never seen them in that area before...
01f2566906c66bbe003cbee81cadd2badaa4c31.pjpg

California.
I have hiked all over Mount Tamalpais, and been to Stinson Beach numerous times. Good stuff! Remarkable how much natural beauty and relative solitude is within a stones throw of San Francisco.

Last summer I did some great hiking and canoeing in Quebec province. I love those northern boreal forests.

We went up & back on the Matt Davis up & back.. Started out it wasn't foggy(merely misty) which helped a lot going up the hill..

Yep, once up the hill you can see most of the North bay, both bridges, ocean & city.. Awesome views..Stinson Beach misty.jpgHill above beach.jpgHill view.jpgCoit tower in distance.jpg

Would love to do those great rivers there.. Many rapids?? I might do a kayak camping trip next month on the upper sacramento river.. Never did it before, could be interesting..

We went up & back on the Matt Davis up & back.. Started out it wasn't foggy(merely misty) which helped a lot going up the hill..

Yep, once up the hill you can see most of the North bay, both bridges, ocean & city.. Awesome views..View attachment 4439View attachment 4440View attachment 4441View attachment 4442

Would love to do those great rivers there.. Many rapids?? I might do a kayak camping trip next month on the upper sacramento river.. Never did it before, could be interesting..

That sounds like fun!

I heard it has gotten pretty bad up there... Why all of a sudden?? No food??
I have no idea. I've seen bears on golf courses around here that I've never seen before. There's bear scat behind my back yard which is not close to the outskirts of the city. But I've never seen it as bad as this yr.

I have no idea. I've seen bears on golf courses around here that I've never seen before. There's bear scat behind my back yard which is not close to the outskirts of the city. But I've never seen it as bad as this yr.

You folks have real bears up there.

Something must be up....

My son-inlaw went wht water rafting there last year in the early fall & he said several times they came across huge bears very close & sometimes their rafts would go right @ them.. They were in the Military so they had arms but there was a few times when they had to decide to go over rocks or a couple feet from a big one........ They were out there for a week & never wanna do that again..

Something must be up....

My son-inlaw went wht water rafting there last year in the early fall & he said several times they came across huge bears very close & sometimes their rafts would go right @ them.. They were in the Military so they had arms but there was a few times when they had to decide to go over rocks or a couple feet from a big one........ They were out there for a week & never wanna do that again..
What river were they on? Close to the base?
The only thing different thing this year is that last winter we never had a Pineapple Express where the temps get above freezing for several days many times in the 40's , and lots of snow melts. Plus we had our normal amt. of snow which we haven't had in a couple of yrs. Still doesn't explain why the bears are hanging around us humans. It's the blacks and they seem unafraid of us, in fact aggressive. The big browns keep to themselves. But your son in law may have seen a brown.

Last edited:
What river were they on? Close to the base?
The only thing different thing this year is that last winter we never had a Pineapple Express where the temps get above freezing for several days many times in the 40's , and lots of snow melts. Plus we had our normal amt. of snow which we haven't had in a couple of yrs. Still doesn't explain why the bears are hanging around us humans. It's the blacks and they seem unafraid of us, in fact aggressive. The big browns keep to themselves. But your son in law may have seen a brown.

Yes, by the air force base, I can't recall the river though, they had to wear dry suits..

I have heard the black bears are looking for a meal if they attack & the brown bears are protecting their young/territory & not looking to eat you but that isn't enough to save you sometimes..

My friend that was hiking up there last month told one story dealing w/ a black bear:they were on a trail & had stopped for something & about 12ft in front of them he notices a big black bear looking around just beyond a big tree right next to the trail..

They froze & then he started to pull out his spray & the guy told him to just stay still.. The bear just looked @ them & gradually meandered up the trail a bit & into some bushes...

Yes, by the air force base, I can't recall the river though, they had to wear dry suits..
Then they were on Eagle River.
I have heard the black bears are looking for a meal if they attack & the brown bears are protecting their young/territory & not looking to eat you but that isn't enough to save you sometimes..

My friend that was hiking up there last month told one story dealing w/ a black bear:they were on a trail & had stopped for something & about 12ft in front of them he notices a big black bear looking around just beyond a big tree right next to the trail..

They froze & then he started to pull out his spray & the guy told him to just stay still.. The bear just looked @ them & gradually meandered up the trail a bit & into some bushes...
Smart!

Yep, once up the hill you can see most of the North bay, both bridges, ocean & city.. Awesome views..View attachment 4439View attachment 4440View attachment 4441View attachment 4442

Outstanding. I remember those views. Good times!

I have been mostly wimping out, and sticking to lake canoeing in Quebec Province. My cousins there are more hard core and paddle the white water. The thing that really blows me away about eastern Canada, and the Saint Lawrence River basin in particular, is the vast quantity of fresh waterbodies. I grew up mostly in the western U.S., and the scale, scope and size of the rivers, lakes, and stream in Quebec and Ontario is, to me, nothing short of astounding.

Regarding your pending your river kayak trip -- Tally ho!

These days I mostly wuss out and stick to sea kayaking - the only risk there being the voracious Great White!

Outstanding. I remember those views. Good times!

I have been mostly wimping out, and sticking to lake canoeing in Quebec Province. My cousins there are more hard core and paddle the white water. The thing that really blows me away about eastern Canada, and the Saint Lawrence River basin in particular, is the vast quantity of fresh waterbodies. I grew up mostly in the western U.S., and the scale, scope and size of the rivers, lakes, and stream in Quebec and Ontario is, to me, nothing short of astounding.

Regarding your pending your river kayak trip -- Tally ho!

These days I mostly wuss out and stick to sea kayaking - the only risk there being the voracious Great White!

ThnX...:)

LOL, I hear yea, I've taken way to many risks(stupid ones) & prefer to play it mostly safe now.. This trip won't be anything scary..

Yea I've looked @ the area on google maps & it looks like a giant sponge, thousands & thousands of small lakes~opposite of here..

I do bays, sloughs like Drakes bay, Tomalas bay, Moss landing/Monterey bay, Santa Cruz but I avoid the open ocean.. I have friends that fish in kayaks out of Bodega bay which is part of the great white triangle from there to the Farallon Islands down to Monterey bay...

Amazing how many kayaks get hit in that area... But IMHO pulling in a distressed fish is like a lure to them.. ALthough most likely the worse you'll get is your fish stolen by a sea lion before you can net it..

The sea lions are very stressed as well & I see many of them 50-75 miles inland following up the stripers & salmon & they will take ever fish caught..

Back