Anyone into hiking??

ThnX...:)

LOL, I hear yea, I've taken way to many risks(stupid ones) & prefer to play it mostly safe now.. This trip won't be anything scary..

Yea I've looked @ the area on google maps & it looks like a giant sponge, thousands & thousands of small lakes~opposite of here..

I do bays, sloughs like Drakes bay, Tomalas bay, Moss landing/Monterey bay, Santa Cruz but I avoid the open ocean.. I have friends that fish in kayaks out of Bodega bay which is part of the great white triangle from there to the Farallon Islands down to Monterey bay...

Amazing how many kayaks get hit in that area... But IMHO pulling in a distressed fish is like a lure to them.. ALthough most likely the worse you'll get is your fish stolen by a sea lion before you can net it..

The sea lions are very stressed as well & I see many of them 50-75 miles inland following up the stripers & salmon & they will take ever fish caught..

Me too. I wimp out and stick to paddling around the coastal estuaries and bays. Maybe it's really brackish water kayaking, than sea kayaking!? I like to watch sea otters, and I like to avoid the Great Whites, so it is perfect for me!

Me too. I wimp out and stick to paddling around the coastal estuaries and bays. Maybe it's really brackish water kayaking, than sea kayaking!? I like to watch sea otters, and I like to avoid the Great Whites, so it is perfect for me!

You paddled Moss Landing in Monterey bay??

Great 5 miles out & another 5 back in.. There is a nice park I start from & closer you get to the bay the more seals, sea otters & pelicans & no sharks I have ever seen or heard reported.. While there are reports of great whites in the bay (& killer whales) I paddle back to the park & my vehicle for my ten miles..

Great 5 miles out & another 5 back in.. There is a nice park I start from & closer you get to the bay the more seals, sea otters & pelicans & no sharks I have ever seen or heard reported.. While there are reports of great whites in the bay (& killer whales) I paddle back to the park & my vehicle for my ten miles..

If you see a great white just pet him/her on the head. Right about between the eyes and halfway down the snout. Cypress, if you are reading this do that with a handful or two of bloody fish.

No, but have been meaning to paddle Elkhorn Slough/Moss Landing. I very much dig all the marine wildlife around there.
Tomales Bay, San Francisco Bay, and Morro Bay round out my repertoire of estuary and bay kayaking. Yes, supposedly reports of the feared Great White in all those estuaries. Fright night! The thought of wearing Kevlar has crossed my mind; if it's strong enough to stop bullets and knives, I am hoping it will save me from being a Great White morsel!

No, but have been meaning to paddle Elkhorn Slough/Moss Landing. I very much dig all the marine wildlife around there.
Tomales Bay, San Francisco Bay, and Morro Bay round out my repertoire of estuary and bay kayaking. Yes, supposedly reports of the feared Great White in all those estuaries. Fright night! The thought of wearing Kevlar has crossed my mind; if it's strong enough to stop bullets and knives, I am hoping it will save me from being a Great White morsel!

Yep...

1024x1024.jpg

There is nothing out there that is going to stop a Great White's bite. Other than steel armor plate. Even with Kevlar or chain mail even if by chance the teeth did not go through, the force would crush everything in its path. Best bet for you is to tow a bucket of chum behind you. Catch some fish, leave them alive, bleeding and hanging off the side of your kayak. You will fool the shark. Seriously. Try it..

There is nothing out there that is going to stop a Great White's bite. Other than steel armor plate. Even with Kevlar or chain mail even if by chance the teeth did not go through, the force would crush everything in its path. Best bet for you is to tow a bucket of chum behind you. Catch some fish, leave them alive, bleeding and hanging off the side of your kayak. You will fool the shark. Seriously. Try it..

I was kidding about the Kevlar.
Do you normally have death fantasies about people you don't know, and have never met?

As for the Great White, the scientist in me believes it is a seriously misunderstood creature, and the threat to humans vastly over hyped. I don't even think the word "attack" is appropriate in the context of the Great White. Its behavior towards humans is not apparently predatory, since they don't even eat humans after biting them. Reasonable precautions, and rudimentary knowledge of Great White behavior should be enough to reduce any risk to virtually zero.

When you really think about it, this fish is a fantastic animal!

I was kidding about the Kevlar.
Do you normally have death fantasies about people you don't know, and have never met?

As for the Great White, the scientist in me believes it is a seriously misunderstood creature, and the threat to humans vastly over hyped. I don't even think the word "attack" is appropriate in the context of the Great White. Its behavior towards humans is not apparently predatory, since they don't even eat humans after biting them. Reasonable precautions, and rudimentary knowledge of Great White behavior should be enough to reduce any risk to virtually zero.

When you really think about it, this fish is a fantastic animal!

Only a select few. Great Whites are magnificent. And completely misunderstood by many as are most sharks. Swim and dive with them a lot. Generally a shark is more afraid of you than the other way way around.

ThnX...:)

LOL, I hear yea, I've taken way to many risks(stupid ones) & prefer to play it mostly safe now.. This trip won't be anything scary..

Yea I've looked @ the area on google maps & it looks like a giant sponge, thousands & thousands of small lakes~opposite of here..

I do bays, sloughs like Drakes bay, Tomalas bay, Moss landing/Monterey bay, Santa Cruz but I avoid the open ocean.. I have friends that fish in kayaks out of Bodega bay which is part of the great white triangle from there to the Farallon Islands down to Monterey bay...

Amazing how many kayaks get hit in that area... But IMHO pulling in a distressed fish is like a lure to them.. ALthough most likely the worse you'll get is your fish stolen by a sea lion before you can net it..

The sea lions are very stressed as well & I see many of them 50-75 miles inland following up the stripers & salmon & they will take ever fish caught..

I was recently kayaking in the Russian and a seal was chowing down on a bunch of small mouths and carps. He made fishing look ez.

I was recently kayaking in the Russian and a seal was chowing down on a bunch of small mouths and carps. He made fishing look ez.

LOL, yea they do, & make it look fun too..........

A couple years ago @ a place I go to all the time there was one otter wrestling a huge carp, prob 3X his size & he just couldn't get a good hold of him.. He didn't care I was watching him..... A week later I came back & there they were again, no shit... I doubt he ever got that huge fish...
I had one get aggressive, a mom w/ three kits.. She blocked my path & so I ended up having to go another 1/2 mile on a 14 mile paddle...

I didn't wanna bash her w/ the paddle in front of the kits.:whome:

Seals, those harbor seals are coming way inland now, along w/ sea lions.. I saw some harbor seals in the delta, just outside stockton, prob 50 miles from the bay & almost 100 to the gate...... Slim pickins in the ocean now, hopefully this winter will be better for the fish~them

You fight bears very often??

He is totally correct.. One of the ppl I hiked w/ on Saturday was up there last month & he likes to hike a lot.. He said there were several attacks when he was there & he & a friend of his came quite uncomfortably close to a few...

These where also in areas his friend was familiar w/ & had never seen them in that area before...
01f2566906c66bbe003cbee81cadd2badaa4c31.pjpg
NostraDA is just a troll!

Back