Are humans hard-wired for faith?

uscitizen

Villified User
Are humans hard-wired for faith?
POSTED: 11:54 a.m. EDT, April 5, 2007
Story Highlights
• Scientist working to track how the human brain processes religion, spirituality
• New field called neurotheology
• Similar areas of the brain are affected during prayer and meditation

More on CNN TV: Questions of science, sex, salvation. What is a Christian? On "Anderson Cooper 360°," Thursday and Friday,10 p.m. ET
By A. Chris Gajilan
CNN

NEW YORK (CNN) -- "I just know God is with me. I can feel Him always," a young Haitian woman once told me.

"I've meditated and gone to another place I can't describe. Hours felt like mere minutes. It was an indescribable feeling of peace," recalled a CNN colleague.

"I've spoken in languages I've never learned. It was God speaking through me," confided a relative.

The accounts of intense religious and spiritual experiences are topics of fascination for people around the world. It's a mere glimpse into someone's faith and belief system. It's a hint at a person's intense connection with God, an omniscient being or higher plane. Most people would agree the experience of faith is immeasurable.

Dr. Andrew Newberg, neuroscientist and author of "Why We Believe What We Believe," wants to change all that. He's working on ways to track how the human brain processes religion and spirituality. It's all part of new field called neurotheology.

After spending his early medical career studying how the brain works in neurological and psychiatric conditions such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease, depression and anxiety, Newberg took that brain-scanning technology and turned it toward the spiritual: Franciscan nuns, Tibetan Buddhists, and Pentecostal Christians speaking in tongues. His team members at the University of Pennsylvania were surprised by what they found.

"When we think of religious and spiritual beliefs and practices, we see a tremendous similarity across practices and across traditions."

The frontal lobe, the area right behind our foreheads, helps us focus our attention in prayer and meditation.

The parietal lobe, located near the backs of our skulls, is the seat of our sensory information. Newberg says it's involved in that feeling of becoming part of something greater than oneself.

The limbic system, nestled deep in the center, regulates our emotions and is responsible for feelings of awe and joy.

Newberg calls religion the great equalizer and points out that similar areas of the brain are affected during prayer and meditation. Newberg suggests that these brain scans may provide proof that our brains are built to believe in God. He says there may be universal features of the human mind that actually make it easier for us to believe in a higher power.

Interestingly enough, devout believers and atheists alike point to the brain scans as proof of their own ideas.

Some nuns and other believers champion the brain scans as proof of an innate, physical conduit between human beings and God. According to them, it would only make sense that God would give humans a way to communicate with the Almighty through their brain functions.

Some atheists saw these brain scans as proof that the emotions attached to religion and God are nothing more than manifestations of brain circuitry.

Scott Atran doesn't consider himself an atheist, but he says the brain scans offer little in terms of understanding why humans believe in God. He is an anthropologist and author of "In Gods We Trust: The Evolutionary Landscape of Religion."

Instead of viewing religion and spirituality as an innate quality hardwired by God in the human brain, he sees religion as a mere byproduct of evolution and Darwinian adaptation.

"Just like we're not hardwired for boats, but humans in all cultures make boats in pretty much the same way, Atran explains. "Now, that's a result both of the way the brain works and of the needs of the world, and of trying to traverse a liquid medium and so I think religion is very much like that."

Atran points to the palms of his hands as another example of evolutionary coincidence. He says the creases formed there are a mere byproduct of human beings working with our hands -- stretching back to the ages of striking the first fires, hunting the first prey to building early shelter. Although, the patterns in our palms were coincidentally formed by eons of evolution and survival, he points out that cultures around the world try to find meaning in them through different forms of palm reading.

Anthropologists like Atran say, "Religion is a byproduct of many different evolutionary functions that organized our brains for day-to-day activity."

To be sure, religion has the unparalleled power to bring people into groups. Religion has helped humans survive, adapt and evolve in groups over the ages. It's also helped us learn to cope with death, identify danger and finding mating partners.

Today, scientific images can track our thoughts on God, but it would take a long leap of faith to identify why we think of God in the first place.

A. Chris Gajilan is a senior producer with CNN Medical News

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/04/04/neurotheology/index.html

But why are so many immune to this? A majority in this country obviously are not, but a significant number are. And certainly in many other western nations, there exists an actual majority who are immune. It's strange.

We immune ones will have a different brain scan I suspect. We are apparently "defective" when compared to the majority.
I have never had heroes....

Perhaps evoloution and genetic drift is doing away with this trait as well.....

But why are so many immune to this? A majority in this country obviously are not, but a significant number are. And certainly in many other western nations, there exists an actual majority who are immune. It's strange.

But you do have a religion, it's called secular humanism.

LOL It really seems so. He's not comfortable unless he slaps a label on you.

There's nothing wrong with labels when they're accurate. I know you prefer a meaningless mishmash of undefined concept and glittering generalities, then you can never be wrong. You can do better.

There's nothing wrong with labels when they're accurate. I know you prefer a meaningless mishmash of undefined concept and glittering generalities, then you can never be wrong. You can do better.

Oh I have often been wrong, but as I have learned I am not as often wrong as I used to be.

Oh I have often been wrong, but as I have learned I am not as often wrong as I used to be.

You're cooler than darla, I was mostly speaking of her. I've known people in the "labels are wrong" camp. They hate labels because they hate being pinned down with their own beliefs. They prefer a mushy state of florid language, devoid of conclusions, and resistant to summarization. Intellectual fakers hate to be summarized, because their ideas are so preposterous when described accurately.

We immune ones will have a different brain scan I suspect. We are apparently "defective" when compared to the majority.
I have never had heroes....

Perhaps evoloution and genetic drift is doing away with this trait as well.....

Whenever we are surrounded by logic and have to think logically all day, oftentimes people will overcome the emotional answer provided by evolution. For instance, we used to burn people who disagreed with the state. This is pretty much hardwired into us, killing people of other opinions. But we were able to logically overcome that. Of course, many people in the US don't really support the idea that everyone should have a right their own opinion for any other reason than that it is popular in this society. AssHat for instance. In the middle ages he'd be screaming "Kill Galileo!" while we sat on the sidelines and shook our heads in frustration at his ignorance.

Whenever we are surrounded by logic and have to think logically all day, oftentimes people will overcome the emotional answer provided by evolution. For instance, we used to burn people who disagreed with the state. This is pretty much hardwired into us, killing people of other opinions. But we were able to logically overcome that. Of course, many people in the US don't really support the idea that everyone should have a right their own opinion for any other reason than that it is popular in this society. AssHat for instance. In the middle ages he'd be screaming "Kill Galileo!" while we sat on the sidelines and shook our heads in frustration at his ignorance.

I support your right to you own opinion. I also support my right to tell you you're wrong. and you are wrong. Before you start talking trash, you should have some wins under your belt. All you have are unfounded and wrong assertions.

Well, of course he would. Galileo was a Freemason, therefore he must be evil.

Well, of course he would. Galileo was a Freemason, therefore he must be evil.

He might have been low on the totem pole, and therefore unaware of the Masonic globalist/endtimes agenda, the restoration of the temple and establishment of a global theocracy.

http://www.mt.net/~watcher/masontemplemount.html
ISRAEL & THE COMING MESSIAH

Referring to the book of Daniel, Sir Isaac Newton (1642-1727) of the Royal
Society of England revealed the Rosicrucian plan to "bring Jesus down" in
the year 2000 A.D.

http://www.mat.auckland.ac.nz/~king/Preprints/book/proph/prophecy.htm

"Daniel 9:26 And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined.
"...The last missing week: 62+7+1=70 starts in 1996 and runs for 7
years. Half-way through - in 2000 we bring down Jesus causing the sacrifice to cease:

"Daniel 9:27 And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate."

Historian of the Rosicrucian Enlightenment, Frances Yates wrote of Newton's
interest in Hebraic studies:

"Newton's historical attitudes, his intense preoccupation with apocalyptic prophecy, would have made him intensely aware of the apocalyptic interpretations of the near extinction of Protestantism in Europe ...The approach to Newton through Rosicrucian alchemy might help, not only to unify his physical and alchemical studies, but also to integrate with these the Hebraic piety behind his historical studies." (p. 205)

Kabbalah, the secret doctrine of the Rosicrucians, also describes the
Messianic Kingdom as a period of forced conversions of the Gentiles to
Judaism.

We know from occult sources and from Scripture that there will be a counterfeit fulfillment of Bible prophecy so convincing that even the elect might be deceived, if that were possible. (Matt. 24:24)
Are Christians presently being conditioned for future conversion to Judaism via the Hebrew Roots and Messianic Movements? [ http://watch.pair.com/HRM.html ]
Scripture indicates that the strong delusion will arise out of MYSTERY BABYLON, the harlot religion, which has been narrowly interpreted by many Protestants as the Roman Catholic Church. While it is true that the Great Harlot sits upon the seven mountains of Rome (Rev. 17:9), there is abundant evidence that the Vatican has been infiltrated and is now under the firm control of the Freemasonic syndicate. This is documented in books such as David Yallop's expose of the 1978 murder of the current Pope's predecessor, Pope John Paul I by the P2 Lodge - In God's Name. Some of the more traditional Catholic publications, such as the March 1998 issue of Real Catholicism by Carey J. Winter, provide a most interesting history of the Masonic takeover of the Vatican. "The Catholic Church and Globalism" contains well - documented facts which are familiar to many Catholics, but unknown to most Protestants:

"The ultimate aim of the Freemasonic craft, according to Paul Fisher, is 'the overthrow of all spiritual and political ‘tyranny’ so that there will be a universal social republic.' (Behind the Lodge Door, p. 40). [Solange] Hertz maintains that this Revolution 'was disseminated in Europe largely by Sephardic Jews acting through secret societies…' (Utopia, p. 64). Fisher cites James Billington’s observation that 'so great, indeed, was the general impact of Freemasonry in the revolutionary era that some understanding of the Masonic Milieu seems an essential starting point for any serious inquiry into the occult roots of the revolutionary tradition (cited in Lodge Door, p. 218)...'
"'The honest man,' writes Fr. Wathen, 'cannot help seeing that the last three Popes (omitting all mention of Pope John Paul I) have contributed positively, powerfully and directly toward fulfilling the Masonic program for the radical transformation of the Church.' (Ascend, p. 424). Oxfort concludes that the Popes of Vatican II, 'beginning with John XXIII, have systematically betrayed the great body of Catholic Social Doctrine that was established...on Rerum Novarum... Paul VI's 'development' which is the new name for peace' ...means the merging of the 'two opposing blocs of the superpowers into a vast, collectivist gulag. And the conciliar Church is the principle instrument to bring this unification of the whole human race about, because she is the 'sacrament and sign...of all mankind' (Lumen Gentium 1).'

"...What separates the authentic Catholic Social Doctrine from the evil illusions of the Popes of the catastrophic Vatican II is this: the former is centered on Jesus Christ, the Divine Redeemer of the world from all its social ills. The Popes of Vatican II, on the other hand, center their heresies on 'modern man' and, as the Revolution demands, relate 'all things on earth' to 'man as their center and crown. (Gaudium et Spec 12)' (Christian Counter-Revolution 57).

Last edited:
I support your right to you own opinion. I also support my right to tell you you're wrong. and you are wrong. Before you start talking trash, you should have some wins under your belt. All you have are unfounded and wrong assertions.

Me too. That's what I always tell people whenever they say "Everyone has a right to their own opinion".

But which point do you disagree with? Both? Or just my jab at you?

Me too. That's what I always tell people whenever they say "Everyone has a right to their own opinion".

But which point do you disagree with? Both? Or just my jab at you?

I disagree with your assertion that people are hardwired to kill people of other opinions. I disagree with your assertion that I would have been a galileo killer.

Last edited:
Well maybe kill was too harsh a word. But people are certainly hardwired to be hostile to persons with foreign ideas. This isn't completely bad. The idea that you should kill and eat someone is very foreign to me, and I wouldn't mind killing them. But sometimes the amount of acceptable ideas in a society can become ridiculously narrow. And oftentimes in such societies those people get killed. The individual goes insane in a crowd - logic is the only defense.

Everything is hardwired with one thing - the fact that everything is made up of the same stuff.

Religion? I don't know, religion is a perversion for the most part of understanding or of reality. Reality on the other hand, once you break it down to Plank's constant, is ununderstandable. Reality is showing more and more that interconnectedness is a very real thing. Physicists call it "entanglement", and it is something that the great "religious" leaders in history knew even before Quantum Mechanics was anywhere near the table.

Saddartha Gautama was hard wired to know is, as was Jesus and Paramahansa Yogananda. Quantum Physichs describes what is going on at the smallest level of the universe, and at this level, time, separation, matter itself and energy itself are behaving in impossible ways. The absolutely impossible does happen at the Plank Scale.

Einstein could not accept this. He said once "God does not play dice with the Universe". Of course he was not attesting to faith at that point, but he was suggesting that the is inherently a certain order and mathematical certainty to the behavior of everything, even massless particles, and particles that are only particles sometimes, depending on whether or not they are being observed. But Einstein was wrong. He even referred to the entanglement certainty as "spooky".

Heisenburg, Shroedinger, Plank, even Einstein unwittingly, all are showing that there is no such thing as the tangible, and consciousness itself is the only tangible thing. We are hardwired to see certain things, I believe because we are made of the same material as the rest of the universe, and that material is not a series of particles, waves or energy, but is ultimately intangible.

What does that mean? Who knows. But take entanglement into the equation and you have something else on your hands.

I think Einstein had problems with Chaotic theory.

imho Chaos just proves we do not fully understand things.

Are there truely random events or just that we do not fully understand all of the causes and effects ?

Back