At long last the BCS is dead!

It's called "plus one" because it essentially adds one more game. My understanding of how it will work, a committee will determine the top 4 teams, who still play each other in two bowl games, as we normally do the BCS bowls now, with the two 'premiere' bowls rotating out each year. The winners of these two bowls will play an extra game, after the bowls, which will be the championship game.

What is a little fuzzy is how the process will work with selection. If it had been this year, going by the BCS rankings, Notre Dame would have played Florida and Alabama would have played Oregon, the winners would have met for the Championship, which means there could have still been an SEC vs. SEC matchup for the title. It's possible that a committee might have re-arranged the teams, so as to prevent such a thing from happening.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/spor...-college-football-playoff-approved/55845112/1
The committee definately has the option of doing so. For example, if say the 5th rated team is a conference champion and the 4th rated team is not, they can choose the 5th rated team. The committee can weigh a conference championship or an undefeated season over another teams ranking that is neither. My guess is that this will go on for a few years and eventually lead to an 8 team playoff.

They should take the top teams from the PAC, SEC, ACC, BIG 10, BIG 12, BIG EAST, and two committee selected in the top 10.
Eventually I think that's what will happen but baby steps, baby steps. They'll expand to 8 teams with the Big Six conference champs getting automatic bids and two at large teams who rank in the top 10 or 12 teams. They will probably have a provision that any non Big six conference champ or Independent who ranks in the top 10 or 12 will automatically qualify too. With the current plus one system the comittee will weigh a team ranking, conference champion (or not), undefeated (or not) and strength of schedule. With top consideration given to ranking and conference champion.

With the current plus one system the comittee will weigh a team ranking, conference champion (or not), undefeated (or not) and strength of schedule. With top consideration given to ranking and conference champion.

I've not read where this is for certain. These can be factors, but the committee will also evaluate butts in seats and TV revenue. I predict there are going to be many unhappy with the selection process.

The committee definately has the option of doing so. For example, if say the 5th rated team is a conference champion and the 4th rated team is not, they can choose the 5th rated team. The committee can weigh a conference championship or an undefeated season over another teams ranking that is neither. My guess is that this will go on for a few years and eventually lead to an 8 team playoff.

The plan being implemented is set up on a 12-year contract, so it will not be changed for 12 years at least.

It shouldn't keep out an obviously superior 1 loss team like bama just because a weak ass PAC 10 team goes undefeated like Oregon could have!

It shouldn't keep out an obviously superior 1 loss team like bama just because a weak ass PAC 10 team goes undefeated like Oregon could have!

The problem is who decides who is the superior team?

Plenty of people were singing the praises of Notre Dame. Mott even said he gave them the nod because of their tougher schedule. Plenty of people insisted that ND was the best team in the country.

It wasn't until Bama started whipping some irish ass that many people said anything about Alabama's superiority.

Then you weren't watching the last time they played an SEC team...
Nope, I wasn't. But I did watch Oregon a bit this year, and I have no doubt that offense would've hung more than 14 points on Bama's D. Sure, the Tide probably would have won, but it would've been closer than 42-14.

Doubtful, Oregon has no D and is easy to score on. They can also be shut down when they face a stronger defense such as Stanford.

The same could be said of Notre Dame on monday, but at least Oregon would have been a threat to score. And I doubt their coach would have thought his only chance was Bama not coming out of the locker room after halftime.

Then make two mega conferences, 20 teams each, and name them East and West.

Here's the problem with virtually any idea us fans come up with... it's not as easy as you think. We can say "well, just do this or that" and rationalize why it would be a good thing, but this whole ball of wax has hundreds and hundreds of players and interests, lawyers and money, and in order to "do" anything, you pretty much have to have everyone in universal agreement, which is almost impossible. The Conferences are independent entities, they don't fall under the purview of the BCS or NCAA the same way NFL Conferences fall under the League. They represent their clients whom they have contracted memberships with, and these contracts have nothing to do with the NCAA or BCS. None of this is tied together the way the NFL is, under the umbrella of a single Commissioner, and caller of the shots. The Bowls are all independent corporate enterprises, unrelated to the NCAA or BCS, they have contracts with various Conferences, which they have money tied up in, and futures dependent upon. Whenever you start micro-managing, you need to remember this, because it's very important. These people are not in business to lose money, or obligated to host events they can't make a profit hosting. The Bowls are more aligned with the individual cities, the local government and businesses, tied in with the tourism and chambers of commerce, and they are all committed to making a profit, not relinquishing power and full control to the NCAA or BCS. The Universities are institutions of higher education, not owned sports franchises, they are operated in their own self interests as well, and are not obligated to even be members of the NCAA or BCS, or any Conference.

So the task here is daunting at best. Whenever you start dreaming up the ideal scenario, keep in mind the dozens of self-serving interests who have to also be 'on board' with your idea, and understand that it's not that easy to do.

The problem is who decides who is the superior team?

Plenty of people were singing the praises of Notre Dame. Mott even said he gave them the nod because of their tougher schedule. Plenty of people insisted that ND was the best team in the country.

It wasn't until Bama started whipping some irish ass that many people said anything about Alabama's superiority.
Bama was a 10 point favorite despite 1 loss, break people out of the trap of 100 percent reliance on losses and use strength of schedule more.

Back