Attention Sci-Fi Fans

ThatOwlWoman

Leftist Vermin
Many, many moons ago I became enraptured with a sci-fi novel series built on the premise that the dinosaurs were intelligent beings with a full civilization with all the inherent pluses and minuses. Early humans also existed in this fictional world, but were seen by the dominant species as pets or pests. For the life of me I cannot recall either the author or the name of the series. Anyone out there recall this? Thanks in advance.

Many, many moons ago I became enraptured with a sci-fi novel series built on the premise that the dinosaurs were intelligent beings with a full civilization with all the inherent pluses and minuses. Early humans also existed in this fictional world, but were seen by the dominant species as pets or pests. For the life of me I cannot recall either the author or the name of the series. Anyone out there recall this? Thanks in advance.

Is this it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_of_Eden

I don't read much sci-fi because to be honest...as a person educated in science....the large majority of Sci-Fi writers don't know squat about science. It's like watching CSI or Big Bang where hack actors use techno babble, usually out of context or with no clue what so ever what the jargon means but try to look waaaay cool or funny as hell doing it.

Now don't get me wrong there are some phenomenally good Sci-Fi writers with an excellent knowledge of science. Isaac Asimov, Arthur C. Clark, Frank Herbert, Philip K. Dick, Robert Heinlein, Stephen Donaldson, etc,. But the large majority of Sci-Fi published is drek at or barely above the level of pulp fiction.

I don't read much sci-fi because to be honest...as a person educated in science....the large majority of Sci-Fi writers don't know squat about science. It's like watching CSI or Big Bang where hack actors use techno babble, usually out of context or with no clue what so ever what the jargon means but try to look waaaay cool or funny as hell doing it.

Now don't get me wrong there are some phenomenally good Sci-Fi writers with an excellent knowledge of science. Isaac Asimov, Arthur C. Clark, Frank Herbert, Philip K. Dick, Robert Heinlein, Stephen Donaldson, etc,. But the large majority of Sci-Fi published is drek at or barely above the level of pulp fiction.

I love Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings, so I can disregard fealty to scientific principles if the writing and plot are compelling.

Writers could probably sneak some quantum mechanics mistakes by me, but my favorite scientific blunder was a plot about a moon base that was mining marble. You would have to have some rudimentary understanding of earth science to get a laugh out of that.

Michael Crichton belongs on the list.

I love Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings, so I can disregard fealty to scientific principles if the writing and plot are compelling.

Writers could probably sneak some quantum mechanics mistakes by me, but my favorite scientific blunder was a plot about a moon base that was mining marble. You would have to have some rudimentary understanding of earth science to get a laugh out of that.

I wouldn't classify either as Sci-Fi. Those are fantasy literature.

And Jurassic Park as well. The movie was well done but the book was far more terrifying.
You scare easy. I thought The Andromeda strain was far more suspenseful and the premise far more credible and terrifying. Where as the gaps in cloning technology that he left unmentioned in Jurassic Park were obvious to anyone who’s studied genetics.

You scare easy. I thought The Andromeda strain was far more suspenseful and the premise far more credible and terrifying. Where as the gaps in cloning technology that he left unmentioned in Jurassic Park were obvious to anyone who’s studied genetics.

When I first read the book, and then saw the movie, I had not yet taken college level bio classes. Yep, lotsa gaps.

But that's my own terror level IV --- books freak me out more than the movie versions.

ETA -- Books also amaze and excite and enthrall me more than the movie versions, as well. HP, LOTR, etc.

I am not a "The book was better than the movie" type person generally. I will say this, as pulp as they were, the books from the original Star Trek incarnation were actually pretty decent reads compared to how cheesy the show was. A friend of mine in college had just about every book in the Star Trek series he had picked up at yard sales and used book stores and insisted I try reading them to see if I liked them because I disliked that TV show the few times I watched it. I didn't read them all but I ended up reading several dozen of them.

I just cant read fiction anymore

I read some as a teen

loved the LOTR

at that time not as many people read it

it was fun to discuss it with people who had read it

I am not a "The book was better than the movie" type person generally. I will say this, as pulp as they were, the books from the original Star Trek incarnation were actually pretty decent reads compared to how cheesy the show was. A friend of mine in college had just about every book in the Star Trek series he had picked up at yard sales and used book stores and insisted I try reading them to see if I liked them because I disliked that TV show the few times I watched it. I didn't read them all but I ended up reading several dozen of them.

Wow, interesting! I didn't like the couple of ST books that I read at all, but my cousin who was also enraptured with the series bought and read every single one. She even wrote her own books and scripts as well. I'll have to ask her if she still has any of them.

Back