Bad Thinkers

christiefan915

Catalyst
It's an opinion piece so don't shoot the messenger. It's also a long article so I added the link.

"Meet Oliver.
Like many of his friends, Oliver thinks he is an expert on 9/11. He spends much of his spare time looking at conspiracist websites and his research has convinced him that the terrorist attacks on New York and Washington, DC, of 11 September 2001 were an inside job. The aircraft impacts and resulting fires couldn’t have caused the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center to collapse. The only viable explanation, he maintains, is that government agents planted explosives in advance. He realises, of course, that the government blames Al-Qaeda for 9/11 but his predictable response is pure Mandy Rice-Davies: they would say that, wouldn’t they?

Polling evidence suggests that Oliver’s views about 9/11 are by no means unusual. Indeed, peculiar theories about all manner of things are now widespread. There are conspiracy theories about the spread of AIDS, the 1969 Moon landings, UFOs, and the assassination of JFK. Sometimes, conspiracy theories turn out to be right – Watergate really was a conspiracy – but mostly they are bunkum. They are in fact vivid illustrations of a striking truth about human beings: however intelligent and knowledgeable we might be in other ways, many of us still believe the strangest things...

My claim is this: Oliver believes what he does because that is the kind of thinker he is or, to put it more bluntly, because there is something wrong with how he thinks. The problem with conspiracy theorists is not, as the US legal scholar Cass Sunstein argues, that they have little relevant information. The key to what they end up believing is how they interpret and respond to the vast quantities of relevant information at their disposal. I want to suggest that this is fundamentally a question of the way they are. Oliver isn’t mad (or at least, he needn’t be). Nevertheless, his beliefs about 9/11 are the result of the peculiarities of his intellectual constitution – in a word, of his intellectual character."

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/bad-thinkers?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Sometimes conspiracy theories do turn out to be true. :whoa:

While I enjoyed the perspective of the article, I think the author is, to some extent, reinventing the wheel when it comes to conspiracy theories.

Yes, conspiracies exist. The US conspired to kill Osama bin Laden. The US had secret program to build an atomic bomb.

OTOH, conspiracy theories off skimpy or refutable evidence, cannot be proved and can bounce around for half a century or more (Protocols of Zion, JFK and the Moon landing). Real conspiracies are revealed within a few years; Watergate, Monica and Bill, CIA in Iran, etc. Conspiracies require smart people to keep their mouths such out of patriotism. Conspiracy theories require thousands of people to be stupid or keep their mouths shut about illegal actions, anti-American plots and corruption.

IMO, conspiracy theorists "think" that way because it's a coping mechanism. The world is full of chaos and that disturbs certain people very greatly. A conspiracy theory allows them to be "in the know", even if it's bad and/or there's nothing they can do about it (usually the case). If that is true, the conspiracy theorists have a mild to severe version of delusional disorder where they accept things that are not real and deny things that are real in order to maintain the illusion they have created.

If I told people there were a mind control project back then, they would have laughed at me. :laugh:

There were rumors in the early 70s. The Manchurian Candidate (1962) helped kickstart that idea to the public. I was a big fan of Project Blue Book and space aliens in my teens.

The fact remains there's nothing there. No mind control, not PSI powers, no ESP, etc. Even the idea of programming people like in the movies doesn't work for long. You can break a person and make them kill a parent, but once they are let loose, they mostly go back to themselves.

While I enjoyed the perspective of the article, I think the author is, to some extent, reinventing the wheel when it comes to conspiracy theories.

Yes, conspiracies exist. The US conspired to kill Osama bin Laden. The US had secret program to build an atomic bomb.

OTOH, conspiracy theories off skimpy or refutable evidence, cannot be proved and can bounce around for half a century or more (Protocols of Zion, JFK and the Moon landing). Real conspiracies are revealed within a few years; Watergate, Monica and Bill, CIA in Iran, etc. Conspiracies require smart people to keep their mouths such out of patriotism. Conspiracy theories require thousands of people to be stupid or keep their mouths shut about illegal actions, anti-American plots and corruption.

IMO, conspiracy theorists "think" that way because it's a coping mechanism. The world is full of chaos and that disturbs certain people very greatly. A conspiracy theory allows them to be "in the know", even if it's bad and/or there's nothing they can do about it (usually the case). If that is true, the conspiracy theorists have a mild to severe version of delusional disorder where they accept things that are not real and deny things that are real in order to maintain the illusion they have created.

Agreed. Some of them have a severe case of paranoia. I was caught into conspiracy theories myself due to growing up in a Fundamentalist Christian home. Things like Freemasons and the Illuminati are real and they manipulate the media and the world.

There were rumors in the early 70s. The Manchurian Candidate (1962) helped kickstart that idea to the public. I was a big fan of Project Blue Book and space aliens in my teens.

The fact remains there's nothing there. No mind control, not PSI powers, no ESP, etc. Even the idea of programming people like in the movies doesn't work for long. You can break a person and make them kill a parent, but once they are let loose, they mostly go back to themselves.

To be fair, people suffering from Stockholm syndrome or domestic abuse take long time to "go back to themselves".

To be fair, people suffering from Stockholm syndrome or domestic abuse take long time to "go back to themselves".

True, but they're not mindless robots programmed to kill. PTSD is one thing, being programmed like the Manchurian Candidate is another.

Behind most conspiracy theories today, are sources that are creating them for sinister or politically motivated purposes.

The Republican Party has been using conspiracy theories for political or racist purposes since 1947 that started with Republican Senator Joseph McCarthy.

Donald Trump is the new leader and face of such conspiracy theories in the world today.

Donald Trump creates a boogy man that plays into one of his hateful, political, or personal narratives of self interest, and then tells everyone he is the only one on Earth to rid the world of it.

Last edited:
It's an opinion piece so don't shoot the messenger. It's also a long article so I added the link.

"Meet Oliver.
Like many of his friends, Oliver thinks he is an expert on 9/11. He spends much of his spare time looking at conspiracist websites and his research has convinced him that the terrorist attacks on New York and Washington, DC, of 11 September 2001 were an inside job. The aircraft impacts and resulting fires couldn’t have caused the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center to collapse. The only viable explanation, he maintains, is that government agents planted explosives in advance. He realises, of course, that the government blames Al-Qaeda for 9/11 but his predictable response is pure Mandy Rice-Davies: they would say that, wouldn’t they?

Polling evidence suggests that Oliver’s views about 9/11 are by no means unusual. Indeed, peculiar theories about all manner of things are now widespread. There are conspiracy theories about the spread of AIDS, the 1969 Moon landings, UFOs, and the assassination of JFK. Sometimes, conspiracy theories turn out to be right – Watergate really was a conspiracy – but mostly they are bunkum. They are in fact vivid illustrations of a striking truth about human beings: however intelligent and knowledgeable we might be in other ways, many of us still believe the strangest things...

My claim is this: Oliver believes what he does because that is the kind of thinker he is or, to put it more bluntly, because there is something wrong with how he thinks. The problem with conspiracy theorists is not, as the US legal scholar Cass Sunstein argues, that they have little relevant information. The key to what they end up believing is how they interpret and respond to the vast quantities of relevant information at their disposal. I want to suggest that this is fundamentally a question of the way they are. Oliver isn’t mad (or at least, he needn’t be). Nevertheless, his beliefs about 9/11 are the result of the peculiarities of his intellectual constitution – in a word, of his intellectual character."

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/bad-thinkers?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Here's the problem, you're worse than Oliver is. Oliver believes in conspiracy theories, he's wrong and we all know that but what you're really talking about here is confirmation bias and when it comes to that you're worse than him...far worse. CNN and MSNBC push your theories and you think you're covered but you're not, you're worse than him.

Back