Beef: Grass fed/Grain finished

Hopefully TOP! will turn up with her opinion.....though I think I might know her answer....we might have talked about this once.

Beef for people who eat the nutrition label and dont care about food quality is about how I have it.

Am I wrong?

I think with beef most people are just trying to afford to eat some. Overall quality is way down. To get very good beef you need to be buying direct or be Elon Musk.

I think with beef most people are just trying to afford to eat some. Overall quality is way down. To get very good beef you need to be buying direct or be Elon Musk.

The price has definitely gone up... so if it's not very good beef I just won't buy it ...thankfully I have a good source...

My favorite steaks are the ones for which somebody else picks up the check.

My ex-son-in-law was good for that,
so I probably miss him a hell of a lot more than my daughter does.

The price has definitely gone up... so if it's not very good beef I just won't buy it ...thankfully I have a good source...

I have not noticed any decline of quality at Stewarts Meats or Costco. Kroger is all over the place but always was....I have noticed that Kroger is less reliable on the trimming, but I dont mind much as the scraps always go to the hounds, and they both adore steak.

I have not noticed any decline of quality at Stewarts Meats or Costco. Kroger is all over the place but always was....I have noticed that Kroger is less reliable on the trimming, but I dont mind much as the scraps always go to the hounds, and they both adore steak.
I've heard good things about Costco beef....Krogers only in an emergency...Just too many disappointments... Years ago Krogers was much better, but they had an actual butcher on staff...and he would cut things to order... and give us scraps and bones for the pups...That's long gone....

I've heard good things about Costco beef....Krogers only in an emergency...Just too many disappointments... Years ago Krogers was much better, but they had an actual butcher on staff...and he would cut things to order... and give us scraps and bones for the pups...That's long gone....
Costco is one of the few chains that still sells prime. I can't remember the last time I saw prime beef. It mostly goes to the fancy restaurants but not the grocery stores.

Goattales

It used to be I could get a part time job in a restaurant anytime I wanted. One of the cheapest owners I ever met had $9.99 Friday night rib roast. It was select, a grade below choice and almost inedible. No one seemed to care, they were getting a steak dinner for 10 bucks.

Goattales

It used to be I could get a part time job in a restaurant anytime I wanted. One of the cheapest owners I ever met had $9.99 Friday night rib roast. It was select, a grade below choice and almost inedible. No one seemed to care, they were getting a steak dinner for 10 bucks.

A lot of people don't know what a good steak is... he might have thought he was calling them but I bet he lost money if it was all you can eat.. serves him right...

Costco is one of the few chains that still sells prime. I can't remember the last time I saw prime beef. It mostly goes to the fancy restaurants but not the grocery stores.
Our H.E.B stores have beautiful prime beef, as well as Central Market. I guess we’re lucky in Texas.

A lot of people don't know what a good steak is... he might have thought he was calling them but I bet he lost money if it was all you can eat.. serves him right...
I think you have to give a lot of credit to the cook -- me. That was back when I first heard of reverse-searing. I did a lot of experimenting to keep the roast moist. Select beef is not that much different than grass fed. There's not a lot of fat so it's easy to overcook.

Our H.E.B stores have beautiful prime beef, as well as Central Market. I guess we’re lucky in Texas.
I can't digest beef that well anymore. I've been on a chicken diet for 10 years. I try to avoid the beef section like an ex-junky. I will easily relapse by looking at a steak. The funny part of noobs in Texas is they always order the pork ribs. Culture goes right over their head.

I can't digest beef that well anymore. I've been on a chicken diet for 10 years. I try to avoid the beef section like an ex-junky. I will easily relapse by looking at a steak. The funny part of noobs in Texas is they always order the pork ribs. Culture goes right over their head.
We don’t eat a lot, but when we do, we buy the best!

We don’t eat a lot, but when we do, we buy the best!
When I do buy beef, it's always grass fed and used sparingly in a stir-fry. It was Texas of all places where I learned the importance of sprouts. I put sprouts on everything. They really do help my gut.

Back