Belief-O-Matic Quiz

Well Eastern Orthodox and the Catholics pretty much do agree on everything important. The probably just included Eastern Orthodox so that those guys wouldn't feel left out, and made it the same as Catholic.

I would say that your opinioin about the infallibility of the Pope is as important a disagreement as you can have. Shouldn't have been too hard to include one question about it.

I would say that your opinioin about the infallibility of the Pope is as important a disagreement as you can have.

Don't the Orthodox just have the patriarch? And no one believes in papal infallibility anymore.

There is very, very little practical difference between Orthodox and Catholic. Just squabbling about a technicality that was an important issue a thousand years ago. Compared to whether or not there's an afterlife whether or not the pope leads you or the patriarch seems like pretty tiny squibbling.

Don't the Orthodox just have the patriarch? And no one believes in papal infallibility anymore.

There is very, very little practical difference between Orthodox and Catholic. Just squabbling about a technicality that was an important issue a thousand years ago. Compared to whether or not there's an afterlife whether or not the pope leads you or the patriarch seems like pretty tiny squibbling.

You're definitely right about the practical side, but when you have been separated as long as Orthodox and Catholicism have things just begin to develop differently as the theology gets fleshed out over the centuries.

Sunni-Shia split is even more petty and so far just as enduring. But people are still willing to kill and die for it in sectarian violence to this day.

It's not always easy to assess what will be important to people.

You're definitely right about the practical side, but when you have been separated as long as Orthodox and Catholicism have things just begin to develop differently as the theology gets fleshed out over the centuries.

Sunni-Shia split is even more petty and so far just as enduring. But people are still willing to kill and die for it in sectarian violence to this day.

It's not always easy to assess what will be important to people.

I think a lot of it is pride in their traditions, otherwise they would all just declare themselves Byzantine Catholics. In the age of Vatican II, the Byzantine Mass is far superior to the Roman Mass anyway (I've attended like 4 total). My dad nearly became an Orthodox like my grandfather had been, so I have a Byzantine enthusiast in the family...

I'm guessing you didn't like vatican II?

I don't have the contempt for it that my dad has. I just think the new Mass sucks. One of the accomplishments of Vatican II was that it improved relations between Rome and the East, which ironically made my dad's beloved Eastern ancestors more accessible to him. There have been Byzantine Churches in Seattle for nearly 30 years now, and there is one about 5 min. from my college, which I will have to check out sometime.

Back