Below $7,000 car, made in USA, gets 84 MPG... not electric.

That's a Can-Am motorcycle, with a shell.

With a shell, air bags, and a five star crash rating. Looks like it has a stereo and cruise control too, but they didn't highlight that stuff. And most Can-Ams don't get quite 84 MPG.

It is legally a motorcycle though. I'm thinking of reserving one. Looks like it would be fun to drive, cheap enough that the savings in gas would pay for it in about 18 months, totally worth it.

With a shell, air bags, and a five star crash rating. Looks like it has a stereo and cruise control too, but they didn't highlight that stuff. And most Can-Ams don't get quite 84 MPG.

It is legally a motorcycle though. I'm thinking of reserving one. Looks like it would be fun to drive, cheap enough that the savings in gas would pay for it in about 18 months, totally worth it.

The gas mileage improvement, might come from the air stream over the shell. :dunno:

The small front mounted engine in the Elio is 70 horsepower, 1.0 litre, three cylinder device that resembles a Geo Metro

Maybe now people will start watching out for more then just another car.

I hope they do well.

Last edited:
It's engineered for 5 star crash rating, gets 84 MPG, and is made in the Good Old US of A.

https://reservations.eliomotors.com/i-m-all-in/it-s-time-to-get-in-line-fb.html

You can reserve yours for $100, you get a T-Shirt and $50 off your purchase price if you do it now.

Sweet. I think I want one.
Interesting. I could use something like this as a second commuter car. No passenger seat is a drawback. I'm not in love with cars. They're a way to get from here to there and back. For in town driving and commuting this would be perfect and hell...at this price....I could practically pay for it with my annual year end bonus. Hell it's only $3,000 more than what I paid for my new bicycle last year.

Interesting. I could use something like this as a second commuter car. No passenger seat is a drawback. I'm not in love with cars. They're a way to get from here to there and back. For in town driving and commuting this would be perfect and hell...at this price....I could practically pay for it with my annual year end bonus. Hell it's only $3,000 more than what I paid for my new bicycle last year.
I was wrong. It is a two seater, tandem style.

I can't tow my boat with that. How is that useful?
It's not....but if much of your driving consists of a 10 mile daily commute and the odd trip to the Krogers right down the road and you're a cheap bastard like me.....it has a lot of appeal. As for pulling your boat.....there's a lot of working class southern Republicans you can hire down where you live that work cheap.

It has a passenger seat, it is in the back. Two people can fit... One just has to ride bitch.

Who buys a motorcycle to tow a boat? You sound crippled. I can't pull my horse trailer with my Ducati, but I bought one of those.
Another concern...how does it handle in wet and winter conditions? I'd hate to buy one only to find out I have to part it 3 months out of the year.

Another concern...how does it handle in wet and winter conditions? I'd hate to buy one only to find out I have to part it 3 months out of the year.

From what they say, the front wheel drive, etc. gives you good handling in most weather conditions. If you have five feet of snow you'll want to wait for the plow. But then you do with your Hyundai anyway. Me, I'd drive my truck in extreme weather.

From what they say, the front wheel drive, etc. gives you good handling in most weather conditions. If you have five feet of snow you'll want to wait for the plow. But then you do with your Hyundai anyway. Me, I'd drive my truck in extreme weather.
I know....I'm in the market for a second car....my Van up and died on me and car pooling with the Missus, even though we work 3 blocks apart, is a pain....Her car is a Ford Focus and on the one hand I like the practicality of having a van or a light pick up as a second vehicle....for the most part it's money down the drain as i simply don't drive that much. 3,000 to 5,000 miles a year. I literally put almost as much miles on my bicycle. So this does have a lot of appeal to me, being a cheap bastard, but my second car is meant mostly for winter driving.

It's engineered for 5 star crash rating...
Totally meaningless unless you crash yourself, single style, or one-in-a-million chance, another motorcycle...

Useless here, as I'd have to drive it with a helmet on. There goes most of the advantage over a Can-Am.

Back