Best Album of the 70's

if this is true:

But, I'm using the MTV standard for a "Best of" list: Albums that were highly influential in that decade, were widely listened to, and instantly recognizable to most people.

How could you put in Desperado over Hotel California? I mean, far more people owned/listened/sang along to Hotel California than to Desperado.

if this is true:

How could you put in Desperado over Hotel California? I mean, far more people owned/listened/sang along to Hotel California than to Desperado.

You could put any of those eagles albums in a best of list. They're all icons of the 1970s.

The reason I picked those early Eagles albums is I think by the standards of today, most people are still mostly in love with the pre-Joe Walsh eagles. Go to one of those Eagles reunion concerts, and most people are dying to hear the early Eagles songs. Hotel California was a great song, but I think those early Eagles albums have more songs that, to this day, people are very fond of.

Damocles, do you appreciate Satriani and Eric Johnson?
Unfortunately, when the radio DOES play "Cliffs of Dover," for which Johnson won the 1991 Grammy for musical performance, the cut off the first ~30 seconds where he diplays some virtuousity.

Add to the list of music for stoners (1970's), Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells

You could put any of those eagles albums in a best of list. They're all icons of the 1970s.

The reason I picked those early Eagles albums is I think by the standards of today, most people are still mostly in love with the pre-Joe Walsh eagles. Go to one of those Eagles reunion concerts, and most people are dying to hear the early Eagles songs. Hotel California was a great song, but I think those early Eagles albums have more songs that, to this day, people are very fond of.
"James Gang rides again" (Joe Walsh before the Eagles) is far better than anything the Eagles produced.

"James Gang rides again" (Joe Walsh before the Eagles) is far better than anything the Eagles produced.

In your personal opinion.

As far as judging bands for being true Icons of the 1970s, I guarantee you an Eagles reuninon tour would sell about 3 million more tickets, than a James Gang reunion tour. The eagles are true beloved icons of the 1970s. The james gang are little more than a mere footnote.

Also, put the Eagles greates hits album, along side a James Gang greatest hits album (if one exists). Give them a listen, and then tell me which is the far more Iconic band of the 70s. ;)

"The Wall" was the best to listen to while high, until after I got out of the military, and listened to "Under the Table and Dreaming".

I could say which is better, as i never compared them while in such a state...and I stopped smoking many years ago.

They used to have rock light shows at the Vanderbilt Planetarium on LI. Whenever they had a Pink Floyd one, we'd all get stoned and then go.

<Trog, did you ever go?>

They used to have rock light shows at the Vanderbilt Planetarium on LI. Whenever they had a Pink Floyd one, we'd all get stoned and then go.

<Trog, did you ever go?>
Hey, quit Bogartin' that thing!

In your personal opinion.

As far as judging bands for being true Icons of the 1970s, I guarantee you an Eagles reuninon tour would sell about 3 million more tickets, than a James Gang reunion tour. The eagles are true beloved icons of the 1970s. The james gang are little more than a mere footnote.

Also, put the Eagles greates hits album, along side a James Gang greatest hits album (if one exists). Give them a listen, and then tell me which is the far more Iconic band of the 70s. ;)
The title is Best album, not most iconic group.

A Styx reunion would probably draw well...

The title is Best album, not most iconic group.

A Styx reunion would probably draw well...

I draw a distinction between "Best" and "favorite". George Washington may rank as the "Best" president ever, but he's not neccessarily my favorite.

Give "Take it Easy", or "Tequila Sunrise" a listen again, and tell me what James Gang tune ranks with it, either in iconic status, or in sheer quality.

"The Wall" was great, right up there, but my favorite forever will be "Wish You Were Here".

Last week Soundstage aired a Fleetwood Mac special, a couple of hours from Boston with no commercials. It was beyond awesome!

"The Wall" was great, right up there, but my favorite forever will be "Wish You Were Here".

Last week Soundstage aired a Fleetwood Mac special, a couple of hours from Boston with no commercials. It was beyond awesome!

You know, I kind of ignored that Fleetwood Mac "Rumors" album when is first came out. I was in middle school, and mostly into hard rock like Zep and Aerosmith.

But, as I matured, I realized how brilliant those songs are on Rumours. They're astonishing. And stevie nicks, with her haunting voice, just makes them perfect.

You know, I kind of ignored that Fleetwood Mac "Rumors" album when is first came out. I was in middle school, and mostly into hard rock like Zep and Aerosmith.

But, as I matured, I realized how brilliant those songs are on Rumours. They're astonishing. And stevie nicks, with her haunting voice, just makes them perfect.

She hasn't lost it, either. Everybody was really, really great in that performance. I also was struck by how much each member seemed to be playing out of sheer joy for their instruments and their music; it appeared to be less a performance than a jam session in which everyone loved every minute of what they were doing. Unlike most jam sessions, though, it was seamless and perfectly organized. I'd watch it again in a heartbeat.

Back