Best All-Time NBA Player

Who is the Best NBA Player of All-Time

• Total voters

Minister of Truth

Practically Perfect
Alright, it's time for a discussion of the best of the NBA. I have only included the four options, but we can always discuss other great players like Larry Byrd, Charles Barkley, and Magic Johnson. I think these four are typically going to hit the top lists, and while LeBron is still young, I think we can all see that he belongs on the list.

I vote for Wilt. Yes, he came from a different era, and Air Jordan will always be my favorite and one of the most likable stars the league has ever produced (much like Lou Gehrig being my all-time favorite MLB player even though Babe Ruth was clearly the greatest). Some people fault him for only having 2 Championships when compared to Jordan and Bryant, but the fact that Wilt averaged close to 50 points a game most seasons shows he played for a shitty team and clearly carried them on his back.

Alright, it's time for a discussion of the best of the NBA. I have only included the four options, but we can always discuss other great players like Larry Byrd, Charles Barkley, and Magic Johnson. I think these four are typically going to hit the top lists, and while LeBron is still young, I think we can all see that he belongs on the list.
Jesus Christ. Congratulations.....you made a list thats missing the two very best NBA players ever. Russell and Jabar.

Russell is a walk away as the best player in NBA history. Jabar comes in second.

It has to be Wilt. 100 points in a single game? He was the man in the NBA.
Sorry, Wilt the stilt was a great athlete and a great center.....but his lunch was owned by Bill Russell. Nor was Wilt as complete a player at the center position as Jabar was, as Jabar was significantly better than Wilt in defense. Wilt never seemed to have the killer instinct for big games either like many of the other greats. Note his one NBA championshp compared to Russells 11 and Jabars 6.

After those two I'd rate 3 through 5 as:

#3. Magic Johnson
#4. Oscar Robertson
#5. Michael Jordan

Hard not to have Bob Cousy in the top 5. He was probably the best pure point guard ever.

Russell was like a Larry Byrd, who helped lead his team to victory. Wilt actually put up the numbers.
but only won one championship. Threedee....I saw Russell and Chamberlain play in championship games.....and Russell flat out owned his ass. He out hustled, out defended, out rebounded and outscored Wilt in those games and he won 11 championships to Wilts 1. Sorry....Russell was the best.

He had two, and it was with a shitty team. You don't put up that many points and still have your team achieve mediocre numbers. The only player on the poll who could have even touched that is Air Jordan.

He had two, and it was with a shitty team. You don't put up that many points and still have your team achieve mediocre numbers. The only player on the poll who could have even touched that is Air Jordan.
MJ was an over blown guard compared to the great big men of the game.....and Chamberlain played for a lot of years with a great Lakers team......with some great teamates.......but just was never able to dominate like the Celtics were. Air Jordan had a lot of hot air behind him because of corporate interest and endorsments and factors that had little to do with basketball. A lot of that was hype. You're probably not old enough to remember just what an unstoppable offesive scoring machine Jabar was. Scored more points than Wilt or Jordan and as many or more championships and he was one of the greatest defensive players of all time. Nope sorry....there's Russel and Jabar.....and then you drop to another tier where you have Jordan, Johnson, Chamberlain, Bird, Robertson, Havelichek, Cousey, etc. The fact that Jordan dominated in the 90's just indicates to me how weak the NBA was in big men during those years.

MJ was an over blown guard compared to the great big men of the game.....and Chamberlain played for a lot of years with a great Lakers team......with some great teamates.......but just was never able to dominate like the Celtics were. Air Jordan had a lot of hot air behind him because of corporate interest and endorsments and factors that had little to do with basketball. A lot of that was hype. You're probably not old enough to remember just what an unstoppable offesive scoring machine Jabar was. Scored more points than Wilt or Jordan and as many or more championships and he was one of the greatest defensive players of all time. Nope sorry....there's Russel and Jabar.....and then you drop to another tier where you have Jordan, Johnson, Chamberlain, Bird, Robertson, Havelichek, Cousey, etc. The fact that Jordan dominated in the 90's just indicates to me how weak the NBA was in big men during those years.

You can't be talking about Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, known Muslim, can you pinhead?

Only 4 players have scored more than 60 points in a single game on more than one occasion.

Michael Jordan did it 5 times.
Kobe Bryant did it 5 times.
Elgin Baylor did it 4 times.

Wilt did it 32 times.

From Wikipedia:

"Chamberlain holds numerous NBA all-time records in scoring, rebounding and durability categories. He is the only player to score 100 points in a single NBA game or average more than 40 and 50 points in a season. He also won seven scoring, nine field goal percentage, and eleven rebounding titles, and once even led the league in assists.[3] Chamberlain is the only player in NBA history to average at least 30 points and 20 rebounds per game in a season, a feat he accomplished nine times. He is also the only player to average at least 30 points and 20 rebounds per game over the entire course of his NBA career."

Look at that one line - Chamberlain is the only player in NBA history to average at least 30 points and 20 rebounds per game in a season, a feat he accomplished nine times.

Bill Russell may have been the best defensive player ever, but Wilt takes the ti

Only 4 players have scored more than 60 points in a single game on more than one occasion.

Michael Jordan did it 5 times.
Kobe Bryant did it 5 times.
Elgin Baylor did it 4 times.

Wilt did it 32 times.

From Wikipedia:

"Chamberlain holds numerous NBA all-time records in scoring, rebounding and durability categories. He is the only player to score 100 points in a single NBA game or average more than 40 and 50 points in a season. He also won seven scoring, nine field goal percentage, and eleven rebounding titles, and once even led the league in assists.[3] Chamberlain is the only player in NBA history to average at least 30 points and 20 rebounds per game in a season, a feat he accomplished nine times. He is also the only player to average at least 30 points and 20 rebounds per game over the entire course of his NBA career."

Look at that one line - Chamberlain is the only player in NBA history to average at least 30 points and 20 rebounds per game in a season, a feat he accomplished nine times.

Bill Russell may have been the best defensive player ever, but Wilt takes the ti
Let me get this straight.....you're saying that leading the league in double doubles for 9 years and not winning 11 championships makes Wilt the greatest ever? Specious reasoning Winter.

Jabbar:
Championships - 6
League MVP - 6
Points - 38,387
rebounds - 17,440
blocks - 3189

Russell

Championships - 11
League MVP - 5
Points - 14,522
rebounds - 23,924
assists - 4,100

Chamberlain:

Championships - 2
League MVP - 4
Points - 31, 419
Rebounds - 23,924
assists - 4,643

Jabbar:
Championships - 6
League MVP - 6
Points - 38,387
rebounds - 17,440
blocks - 3189

Russell

Championships - 11
League MVP - 5
Points - 14,522
rebounds - 23,924
assists - 4,100

Chamberlain:

Championships - 2
League MVP - 4
Points - 31, 419
Rebounds - 23,924
assists - 4,643
If you want to go by Stats Jabbar comes out ahead of chamberlain and if you want to go by Championships Russell comes out ahead of Chamberlain.

Chamberlain just lacked whatever it was to win Big Games like Jabbar or Russell. I choose Russell as the greatest because at the end of the day Stats don't mean shit. Winning and winning championships does.

Let me get this straight.....you're saying that leading the league in double doubles for 9 years and not winning 11 championships makes Wilt the greatest ever? Specious reasoning Winter.

Not at all. The question is who is the best player, not which was the best team. Obviously Wilt did not play for the best team. But he did something no other player has ever done, and he did it 9 times.

Yeah, he is the best individual player.

If you want to go by Stats Jabbar comes out ahead of chamberlain and if you want to go by Championships Russell comes out ahead of Chamberlain.

Chamberlain just lacked whatever it was to win Big Games like Jabbar or Russell. I choose Russell as the greatest because at the end of the day Stats don't mean shit. Winning and winning championships does.

Winning championships measures whether it was a great team.

What Chamberlain lacked was another 5 guys of high enough quality to win championships. He was all they had. He HAD to score a lot or they would lose.

Look at the number of 60+ point games he had. And 3 other guys did it more than once. Jordan did it 5 times, and Wilt did it how many times?

Mott, I actually think you have made impressive points about everyone you have argued for besides Russell - including the damn Muslim!

Let's face it though. LeBron is probably going to lead the Heat to most of the Championships for the next decade. If he walks away with as many or more championships than Russell, will that make him the greatest - or did the Heat just buy up a bunch of great players?

Back