Best song ever... nominations

Watermark said:
Is that the end of nominations?

I'll put another forth "Wild Horses" - the Rolling Stones
Damn! That is a good one. Have you ever heard the version on the original "Old And In The Way" album? My favorite, by far. Dave Grisman, Jerry Garcia, Pete Rowan, Vassar Clements . . . it doesn't get much better than that.

OrnotBitwise said:
Damn! That is a good one. Have you ever heard the version on the original "Old And In The Way" album? My favorite, by far. Dave Grisman, Jerry Garcia, Pete Rowan, Vassar Clements . . . it doesn't get much better than that.

I've only heard the Rolling Stones... was that a cover?

OK, I'm going to give you guys another day for nominations, then I'm going to do the next phase....

Think hard. We've got some crappy songs in this list.

Watermark said:
I've only heard the Rolling Stones... was that a cover?
No, the OAITW track was a cover. Damned good one though. :)

I typed "original Old And In The Way album" because there were a few "sequels" as it were. The original was a concert recording of what was supposed to be a one time event in 1975. It turned out to be so popular that they brought the group (largely) back together much later.

If you've never heard it, look for it. Considering your taste in music, I think you'll love it. It was a truly inspired performance by some of the very best folk-rock and jazz musicians of the time.

Old and in the way, that's what I heard them say
They used to heed the words he said, but that was yesterday
Gold will turn to gray and youth will fade away
They'll never care about you, call you old and in the way

Once I hear tell, he was happy
He had his share of friends and good times
Now, those friends have all passed on
He don't have a place called home
Looking back to a better day, feeling old and in the way

Last edited:
I'm of the mind that their is no best song ever. I couldn't even name a top 10 for myself.

I've noticed some genres are not represented so I'll just throw in some for the hell of it.

Grandmaster Flash - The Message
Geto Boys - Mind playin tricks on me
NOFX - The Decline
Common - Retrospect for Life
KMFDM - Stray Bullet
Rakim - Casualties of War

Ricky Nelson - My bucket's got a hole in it
Sugarhill Gang - Rappers Paradise
Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
Darude - Sandstorm

OrnotBitwise said:

The Flying Burrito Brother's did a version as well, the story has it, Gram Parsons rewrote Honky Tonk Woman in exchange for rewriting Wild Horses. I saw Vassar Clements a few years ago at a small acoustic music venue, he was absolutely awesome sounding, played a few songs with Sam Bush that were some of the best tunes I've heard live in a long time. Dave Grissman was at another festival I went to last year, and he was as great as he ever was.

Here are my nominations:

1. Yesterday- The Beatles
2. Love Me Tender- Elvis
3. Desolation Row- Bob Dylan
4. Hey Jude- The Beatles
5. Bohemian Rhapsody- Queen

Not the best, but Californication deserves a mention....it's just fun.

Lateralus- Tool (replace Parabola with that)

Evenfall- Tristania
My Lost Lenore- Tristania
Lethean River- Tristania
Oops I Did It Again (cover)- Children of Bodom (not the best, but definitely the funniest)
Comfortably Numb- Pink Floyd
Dazed and Confused- Led Zeppelin

Ever heard any Sonata Arctica? They are pretty good.

Back