Best way to kill time?

The Ugly Truth

Verified User
By killing, I mean the best way to seem to make it go faster. In my experience, computer games do it better than anything else I've tried. They suck you in, and time ceases to exist. I've gone through 12+ hour sessions without a break, and it seemed like only a few hours have passed. So, how do you kill time? I'm interested, because I can't always be on my computer.

Strangulation or suffocation I would think.

Leaves behind no bloody mess like shooting, stabbing or bludgeoning.

Poisoning would be good too, if you could trick time into taking it.

By killing, I mean the best way to seem to make it go faster. In my experience, computer games do it better than anything else I've tried. They suck you in, and time ceases to exist. I've gone through 12+ hour sessions without a break, and it seemed like only a few hours have passed. So, how do you kill time? I'm interested, because I can't always be on my computer.
Going to prison is an excellent way to kill time.

I prefer reading books

Find a good novel and you're set for the weekend. I finished Pillars of the Earth in 36 hours. Didn't sleep much, but when I finished it, I boarded a plane to the south Pacific and then slept.

With books you can still use your imagination, with video games, there is not much imagination, imo

I prefer reading books

Find a good novel and you're set for the weekend. I finished Pillars of the Earth in 36 hours. Didn't sleep much, but when I finished it, I boarded a plane to the south Pacific and then slept.

With books you can still use your imagination, with video games, there is not much imagination, imo

Pillars of the Earth was superb...and I gotta acknowledge you for doing it in 36 hours. It was a book I took a while to finish...and then went right on to World Without End. Enjoyed Caleb Carr's The Alienist and am now reading his The Angel of Darkness. One of my all time favorites was James Clavell's Shogun. Kind of book to read a couple of times.

(Think I'll start a thread devoted to good books to read.)

Personally, I prefer to kill time playing golf. Up until ten...twelve years ago, I often played 54 holes a day...walking and carrying my bag. Too old for that kind of endurance now. But I still play at least 4 times a week during the season. A round can use up almost 4 hours...and it flies.

Pillars of the Earth was superb...and I gotta acknowledge you for doing it in 36 hours. It was a book I took a while to finish...and then went right on to World Without End. Enjoyed Caleb Carr's The Alienist and am now reading his The Angel of Darkness. One of my all time favorites was James Clavell's Shogun. Kind of book to read a couple of times.

(Think I'll start a thread devoted to good books to read.)

Personally, I prefer to kill time playing golf. Up until ten...twelve years ago, I often played 54 holes a day...walking and carrying my bag. Too old for that kind of endurance now. But I still play at least 4 times a week during the season. A round can use up almost 4 hours...and it flies.

That is awesome. I don't play golf much but I do enjoy ocean sports, like snorkeling, body boarding and more inland... Hiking and gasp* hitting local farmer's markets for local food.

I will look up the books up the books you mentioned, thank you.

Also, I read Pillars of the Earth right before I was leaving overseas for a year. Could have been nerves, excitement, I don't know, but I was seriously hooked on that book.

Did you like the movie adaption?

Frank, if you don't mind, start the thread about books. If I start it I have to ban one poster on principle and I think your thread would be more well received.

Shogun... James Clavell I've read that a few times, between my father and I we wore out a paperback version, so I went and bought the 2 volume hardcover version.
IT... Stephen King I've read that one a few times too.

dreamstime_xs_22132890.jpg

I prefer reading books

I'll have to disagree. In fact, video games actually help improve brain function. Some of them require LOTS of imagination. The best ones are real-time strategy games. These are very good for improving neuroplasticity. The right games engage your brain on several levels. It has been shown that they can also prevent Alzheimers disease.

I'll have to disagree. In fact, video games actually help improve brain function. Some of them require LOTS of imagination. The best ones are real-time strategy games. These are very good for improving neuroplasticity. The right games engage your brain on several levels. It has been shown that they can also prevent Alzheimers disease.

Some of those role-playing games are excellent brain stimulation. But long hours of playing aren't not so great for physical conditioning.

Back