Billy's Gun Thread 1.0

Peridot

Meme master
Ok before I go anywhere with this let's get this out of the way. If you're going to shitpost, or I just don't like you, don't post in the thread. I'll just close it and merge it with one you're banned from. Your post will be gone and no one will read it. I don't feel like typing out the list of everyone I hate, because that's most of you. So let's just save both you and me some time and not have you post here, ok?

Now that that's out of the way (until one of you dipshits inevitably ignores what I just said), it's been awhile since I posted any gun stuff. And boy oh boy, has my collection expanded since I did.

Let's start with my Lebel 1886 from 1889. The world's first smokeless powder rifle, and the main French gun of WW1, though they served out in the colonies until after WW2.

Attachments

• 1886 Lebel (1).jpg
    1886 Lebel (1).jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 1886 Lebel (2).jpg
    1886 Lebel (2).jpg
    100 KB · Views: 8
  • 1886 Lebel Crest.jpg
    1886 Lebel Crest.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 8
After that I got a Greek Mannlicher (yes yes, it's pronounced exactly how you think). Probably the most expensive bolt action service rifle ever created, the adoption of this by Greece definitely helps explain their debt crisis. Regardless it's a very nice and smooth rifle, and somewhat rare to see with the crest intact.

Attachments

• Greek Mannlicher (1).jpg
    Greek Mannlicher (1).jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Greek Mannlicher (2).jpg
    Greek Mannlicher (2).jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Greek Mannlicher Crest.jpg
    Greek Mannlicher Crest.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 6
After that I got a Greek Mannlicher (yes yes, it's pronounced exactly how you think). Probably the most expensive bolt action service rifle ever created, the adoption of this by Greece definitely helps explain their debt crisis. Regardless it's a very nice and smooth rifle, and somewhat rare to see with the crest intact.
Beautiful craftsmanship.

Up next is another fine piece of craftsmanship, the Swiss K31. Over the past couple of years these have become extremely popular and have basically went up 5x in price. I'm not a big fan of the rifle personally but I can sort of see the appeal.

Also a good example of why cloudy days are the best for taking pictures. One day I'll re-do these pictures.

Attachments

• K31 (1).jpg
    K31 (1).jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 2
  • K31 (2).jpg
    K31 (2).jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 2
  • K31 Crest.jpg
    K31 Crest.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 2
that looks dope.

how much is your total gun collection worth if you dont mind me asking?

It's hard to say, the market is always changing. It's insured for 85,000 though. But guns can lose a lot of value depending on what people want to buy. Right now military surplus (the bulk of what I collect) is hot, partly because there isn't much impending threat of legislation and partly because of an increased interest in history. But on the other side of the coin that makes things like my RFB less valuable.

Since Grind asked about value I figure I'll skip ahead to one of the more rare and valuable pieces.

This is a Japanese Type 30 carbine. This was Japans first native design that used smokeless powder, as well as the somewhat famous 6.5x50 round. What's really interesting is the story of their use. Their first war was the Russo-Japanese war of 1905-06. After that Japan thought the design was flawed and they shelved the Type 30 for the Type 38. But during WW1 Japan and Russia were allies. And Russia needed rifles badly (they were losing 200,000 a month on average). So Japan sold their obsolete, 2nd line Type 30 rifles to Russia (and Britain). From there the Russian rifles were given/taken by the Finns after they gained independence and were used in the Finnish civil war. They later stayed in inventory with Finland because they needed guns badly and didn't have the industry to make them themselves. So that means they would bemused in the Winter War against Russia AGAIN, and the Continuation War (the Finnish participation in WW2). Since there were only about 30,000 of these made in the first place, they're pretty rare and don't come up often. But I lucked out and found one back in February.

Attachments

• Type 30 Carbine (1).jpg
    Type 30 Carbine (1).jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Type 30 carbine (3).jpg
    Type 30 carbine (3).jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Type 30 Carbine (2).jpg
    Type 30 Carbine (2).jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Type 30 Carbine Crest.jpg
    Type 30 Carbine Crest.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 5
Yes that's what they're renowned for, even today. It's one of the few (possibly only) rifles that's more valuable as a sporter than in its military configuration.
it appears it would be. I'd imagine it's spot on accurate too? I bet the bolt action is smooth as butter making it easier to reaquire your target.

Up next is another fine piece of craftsmanship, the Swiss K31. Over the past couple of years these have become extremely popular and have basically went up 5x in price. I'm not a big fan of the rifle personally but I can sort of see the appeal.

Also a good example of why cloudy days are the best for taking pictures. One day I'll re-do these pictures.
I like the stock. Very nice grain. I'm assuming it's curly maple? Looks clunky compared to the Leder and Mannlicher.

Since Grind asked about value I figure I'll skip ahead to one of the more rare and valuable pieces.

This is a Japanese Type 30 carbine. This was Japans first native design that used smokeless powder, as well as the somewhat famous 6.5x50 round. What's really interesting is the story of their use. Their first war was the Russo-Japanese war of 1905-06. After that Japan thought the design was flawed and they shelved the Type 30 for the Type 38. But during WW1 Japan and Russia were allies. And Russia needed rifles badly (they were losing 200,000 a month on average). So Japan sold their obsolete, 2nd line Type 30 rifles to Russia (and Britain). From there the Russian rifles were given/taken by the Finns after they gained independence and were used in the Finnish civil war. They later stayed in inventory with Finland because they needed guns badly and didn't have the industry to make them themselves. So that means they would bemused in the Winter War against Russia AGAIN, and the Continuation War (the Finnish participation in WW2). Since there were only about 30,000 of these made in the first place, they're pretty rare and don't come up often. But I lucked out and found one back in February.
I can see it's value for being rare...but I like the Greek Mannlicher. I'm mildly surprised that the Greeks manufactured a rifle of that quality.

that's awesome.

you really like guns.
I like history in general. But I can't use my 100 year old Singer sewing machine like I can my 130 year old Lebel. And the story of the sewing machine isn't as interesting to me as the story of the French army in WW1. Old guns are probably the easiest way to connect to the past.
it appears it would be. I'd imagine it's spot on accurate too? I bet the bolt action is smooth as butter making it easier to reaquire your target.
It's accurate but my Lebel beats it. The Lebel is surprisingly smooth as well, but no match in that department for the Mannlicher.
I like the stock. Very nice grain. I'm assuming it's curly maple? Looks clunky compared to the Leder and Mannlicher.
No, it's a walnut of some kind. And it is much bulkier. Part of that is the way the action works but it's also just the way the Swiss like their rifles.
I can see it's value for being rare...but I like the Greek Mannlicher. I'm mildly surprised that the Greeks manufactured a rifle of that quality.
They didn't. The Greeks couldn't make the the Mannlicher. It was produced under contract by OWG Steyr of Austria. Which became a big problem in WW1 when the Austrians ended up opposing the Greeks. The same problem happened to the Romanians.

This here is another rifle of interesting lineage. It's a Gewehr 88/05/35 of Turkey. The Turks, being German allies in WW1 got a lot of German guns as aid. Among these was the Gewehr 88, Germanys response to thr adoption of the Lebel by the French. The Gewehr 88 also serves as the basis for a bunch of other rifles like the Greek Mannlicher I showed earlier. Anyways, these rifles were given to Turkey during WW1. After the war the Turks found themselves with a collection of different rifles and wanted to standardize. But they were also poor as fuck. So instead of having one rifle, they modified what they had to be as similar in terms of handling as possible with the Mauser 98 style rifles that they wanted. This included switching the rifle from a Mannlicher clip system to a stripper clip on, changing the sights, and refitting the front of the muzzle to accept the same bayonet.

Attachments

• Turk 88-05-35 (1).jpg
    Turk 88-05-35 (1).jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Turk 88-05-35 (2).jpg
    Turk 88-05-35 (2).jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 2
  • G88-05-35 Crest.jpg
    G88-05-35 Crest.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 1
Ok, where was I?

This here is a British (sort of) P14 rifle. The British were looking to replace the now famous SMLE rifle in 1914 and were just about to when WW1 popped up. Obviously they're not going to change rifles mid-war but they still had a problem. They were short millions of guns and combat was quickly eating up what ones they had. So they brought the P14, the rifle they wanted to replace the SMLE before the war, to Remington, Winchester and Eddystone. Incidentally this would lead to the Americans adopting this rifle (in 30-06 as opposed to 303) as a supplement to the 1903 Springfield. But because production was already in full swing for the P14 and it was easier and faster to produce than the 1903, the American forces had more M1917 enfields (their designation) in Europe than 1903s. By about 3 to 1 in factm

Attachments

• P14 (1).jpg
    P14 (1).jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 2
  • P14 (2).jpg
    P14 (2).jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 2
  • P14 Proof.jpg
    P14 Proof.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 2
I've already talked about the Type 30, so not much left to be said. This particular one though was with the British in WW1 rather than the Russians. So it either saw service on a ship or out in the ME with Laurence of Arabia (his journal mentions Japanese rifles multiple times). It's also somewhat interesting to note that this is another design inspired by the Gew 88 "Mannlicher" action, and is the only Arisaka to be designed by Arisaka (Nambu was the designer of the later "Arisaka" rifles).

Attachments

• Type 30 (1).jpg
    Type 30 (1).jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Type 30 (2).jpg
    Type 30 (2).jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Type 30 Crest.jpg
    Type 30 Crest.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 3
This here is another rifle of interesting lineage. It's a Gewehr 88/05/35 of Turkey. The Turks, being German allies in WW1 got a lot of German guns as aid. Among these was the Gewehr 88, Germanys response to thr adoption of the Lebel by the French. The Gewehr 88 also serves as the basis for a bunch of other rifles like the Greek Mannlicher I showed earlier. Anyways, these rifles were given to Turkey during WW1. After the war the Turks found themselves with a collection of different rifles and wanted to standardize. But they were also poor as fuck. So instead of having one rifle, they modified what they had to be as similar in terms of handling as possible with the Mauser 98 style rifles that they wanted. This included switching the rifle from a Mannlicher clip system to a stripper clip on, changing the sights, and refitting the front of the muzzle to accept the same bayonet.
Now correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Springfield .30-06 the same design as the Mauser 98 that Mauser licensed to Springfield?

Last edited:
Now correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Springfield .30-06 the same design as the Mauser 98 that Mauser licensed to Springfield?

No. The Springfield is sort of an amalgamation of the Krag rifle and the 1893 Mauser. The United States did pay licensing for some Mauser patents but not for the 98 action. Biggest reason why is that is was difficult to adapt to have a magazine cut off feature, which we still wanted for some reason.

And while we're talking about Mauser inspired actions, this little guy is a Type 38 carbine, which incidentally is my wife's.

After the Russo-Japanese war the Japanese noted some problems with their Type 30 rifles and carbines. So Col. Nambu was tasked with designing a new rifle. Taking inspiration from the Mauser 98 and the Siamese Mausers that Japan was producing at the time, he came up with the Type 38, which is probably the strongest bolt action ever designed. It's also one of the most reliable because of the dust cover and simplicity of design. This one in particular saw service up into WW2 because the imperial chrysanthamum has been ground off (sadly I've neglected to take a picture).

Attachments

• Type 38c (1).jpg
    Type 38c (1).jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Type 38c (2).jpg
    Type 38c (2).jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 1
Now this right here isn't a military surplus rifle. It's just cool and I wanted it for my birthday last year. It's a Kel Tec RDB, the 5.56 cousin of my RFB that I lusted over for so long.

Attachments

• N6c3mBL.jpg
    N6c3mBL.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 2
  • fEUtLY2.jpg
    fEUtLY2.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Back