Black History Month

Cypress

Will work for Scooby snacks
A hat tip to the memory of my friend and mentor Bob, who was a member of the Tuskegee Airmen: America’s finest combat pilots in World War Two.

I will never forget my 7th grade Science teacher, Mrs. Haizlip. It's unfortunate that the great ones go early, but if she had any position of power, she would have left a memory for everyone of you as well :(. She will be missed.

Her Brother in Law was Ellis Haizlip who passed away in '91. Her Husband is Lionel Haizlip who died in 2003, and she died in 1998. They were all great people. Ellis would probably be the only name recognized by any of you.

His show was taken off TV when I was 2. I never saw it.

I never got to meet him personally, but I met his brother, and of course, his sister-in-law. Im still friends with their daughter who was only 9 or 10 when he died so she doesn't have too many memories of him.

Funny Huh....!

Where is BAC and darla on this issue...I haven't seen a word of praise for the 'Tuskegee Airmen' from either of them...nor desh...what the hey...are they just 'Saturday Night' warriors? well desh did give a small kudos for sympathy sake!:rolleyes:

A hat tip to the memory of my friend and mentor Bob, who was a member of the Tuskegee Airmen: America’s finest combat pilots in World War Two.

Actually, I believe the Japanese 442nd was the best, however, the Tuskegees were right up there with them, and were of course, a persecuted minority driven to succeed. Both knew persecution first hand, and therefore could better appreciate the Nazi threat.

Well...this was interesting...............

Actually, I believe the Japanese 442nd was the best, however, the Tuskegees were right up there with them, and were of course, a persecuted minority driven to succeed. Both knew persecution first hand, and therefore could better appreciate the Nazi threat.

however my Uncle who was on the USS Enterprise would beg to differ...he lost alot of friends to the Kamakazie attacks...young un-experienced Japenese flyers in a desparate attempt to please the Emperor! Not great flyers just suicidal youth with a passion!

Hummm.............

Our 442nd didn't Kamakazee over Europe. They played for real.

If you are referring to the 442nd Bomber group...well there were a few Japenese Americans assigned to this unit...however during this period they were not allowed in the cockpit...although I did hear that a couple were...pretty hushed up...! So I will give kudos to those Japenese Americans who did serve proudly... albeit they also were discriminated against!

There are two 442nd's...........

The 442nd was a segregated, all Japanese fighter unit.

The 442nd air bomb group..which I already covered...then there was the segregated 442 infantry group...which did intelligence...there were some in Europe but most were in the Pacific region...worked behind Japanese lines in China...is this what you are referring to?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/442nd

This just talks about the infantry unit (I may have the wrong number, but there was a superb Japanese fighter unit during WWII), but it was the most highly decorated unit in all of WWII with 21 MOH recipients.

Okay you were referring to the 442nd Regimental Combat team...that was a segregated Japenese unit that fought bravely in France and was well decorated...but you are wrong about no Japenese units fighting in the Pacific...there was a Japanese unit fighting behind Japenese lines in China they were a intelligence and linguist unit...helped the Flying Tigers et al!(MIS)

I was pulling stored info/history fromthe back of my mind...but this link should clarify it for you...:clink:

www.javadc.org/index3.htm

Last edited:
Back