BlackFlag

it called a proxy.... if they wanted they can still findout who you are.

it called a proxy.... if they wanted they can still findout who you are.
This is true. The Proxy servers...

1. Do not always ensure anonymity.
2. If they are subpoenaed or served with a warrant will give the information to the government if they request it.
3. Do not ensure you will not be prosecuted for this.

The thing about filesharing is that it's tricky to find out if someone was downloading or not.

However, whenever you share things (as is natural in a peer-to-peer network, the network tries to get you to re-share what you've downloaded), well... the IRAA has these bots up that can track whether or not you've made material available. They can't still prove whether or not you've actually PROVIDED it, but this isn't a criminal suit. They don't have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt. They just have to prove that it more likely than not happened.

You may actually already be on their list Tiana. I don't know, they may still be handing out settlements for $4000. But you won't be able to fight the claim. The governments trying to make it so ridiculously unprofitable to fight a claim here that everyone will go for the settlement.

Pursuing filesharers is actually costing the recording industry a lot more than filesharers in themselves, but the RIAA won't let stupid things like logic get in the way of their persecution.

IP masking is at best a stopgap solution and won't solve much.

You might want to try bittorent. I've never heard of someone getting sued off of downloading from bittorrent.

Honestly, with the amount of copyright infringement going on, the total amount of copyright fine liability in the US is probably worth several times what everything in the US is worth. They have ridiculous fines because it's so difficult to catch and it's so widespread. I've never agreed with the "set an example" philosophy in a modern liberal democracy, but the conservatives in power always seem to disagree with that.

And there is BIIIGGGG money up in Washington for extending intellectual property laws more and more and upping and upping the fines. Every failing artist and record mega-giant seems to blame copyright infringement for their woes, instead of the fact that they suck.

The thing about filesharing is that it's tricky to find out if someone was downloading or not.

However, whenever you share things (as is natural in a peer-to-peer network, the network tries to get you to re-share what you've downloaded), well... the IRAA has these bots up that can track whether or not you've made material available. They can't still prove whether or not you've actually PROVIDED it, but this isn't a criminal suit. They don't have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt. They just have to prove that it more likely than not happened.

You may actually already be on their list Tiana. I don't know, they may still be handing out settlements for $4000. But you won't be able to fight the claim. The governments trying to make it so ridiculously unprofitable to fight a claim here that everyone will go for the settlement.

Pursuing filesharers is actually costing the recording industry a lot more than filesharers in themselves, but the RIAA won't let stupid things like logic get in the way of their persecution.

IP masking is at best a stopgap solution and won't solve much.

You might want to try bittorent. I've never heard of someone getting sued off of downloading from bittorrent.

even bittorrent's can get you in trouble, allthough watermark is right about getting sued, as far as i know. but i do know you could still find out who is sharing files on torrents...

look at this way... unless you know vary well what you are doing with networking and such you will be putting your self at risk.

the internet is not anyonmus at all, i good way to think of it is like our mail system and how it works.... you cant acces a rescourse on the net without that rescourse knowing a way back to you, otherwise it just wouldnt work... alot like play catch with a ball, the more people you are playing catch with the longer and harder it will be to get back to the original thrower.

your better off ripping CD's from freinds and what not. i guess it depends if it worth the risk to you

your better off ripping CD's from freinds and what not. i guess it depends if it worth the risk to you

My musical tastes are wide and varied. My friends all have 50 Cent and Mudvayne. ITunes doesn't even have most of this stuff, as it's basically out of print. But I'm sure some record label catelogued and bought it up SOMEWHERE...

My musical tastes are wide and varied. My friends all have 50 Cent and Mudvayne. ITunes doesn't even have most of this stuff, as it's basically out of print. But I'm sure some record label catelogued and bought it up SOMEWHERE...

i have the same problem... i just decided not to buy music online anymore..

i just go to my fav record store and just buy what i like and rip it and use the cd's as backup... plus i have quite a big collection already anyway.. right around 60 gig's

Back